2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: zoa ID  (Read 2473 times)

Offline stickboy_107

• Adult
  • GIVE ME ONE OF EVERYTHING [just dont tell my wife]
zoa ID
« on: May 17, 2009, 13:14:18 »
I found these at the LFS and I loved the color on them. I have researched them to find out what they are because they weren't labeled with a name. The only thing I have come across that even looks similar is Pink Lemon Ladies. Anyone know for sure what they are?

Reefd Up

Re: zoa ID
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2009, 21:27:53 »
Named corals are all about the lineage.  There are about 500 million zoanthids that people call "Fire and Ice", but they all look different.  The original "Fire and Ice" zoanthids came from Atlantis I believe.  You can call them whatever you want, but I wouldn't try to sell them with a name on them (simply because what looks like a named expensive coral from a photograph might be completely different than the real thing in someone's tank.) 

Another example is the Superman Montipora.  The original *real thing* has almost a bright baby blue base with bright red polyps, whereas some "Superman Montipora" corals that are *knock-offs* have a dull blue base with brownish red polyps.  People label the fake ones as the real ones, and charge just as much just because they're similar.  Named corals (whether you like the practice or not) is a way to prove aquacultured lineage and assure the buyer that the coral will live and keep its color (and also keep its price very high.) 

Anyway, sorry for the long windedness...I don't know what to call those, but I have the same thing.  Nice coral.

Offline stickboy_107

• Adult
  • GIVE ME ONE OF EVERYTHING [just dont tell my wife]
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2009, 21:59:12 »
Thanks Nicki. I was hoping to find out if they had a name or if they are just a pretty polyp. I've had them for about 3 or 4 weeks and they seem to be really hardy. They look good in the tank, too.

Reefd Up

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2009, 22:09:36 »
Glad to hear it!  I have some pretty awesome shots of them in different lighting, etc.  I'll try to dig some up for you.