2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: Preggy Cleaner Shrimp!  (Read 3786 times)

Offline Arcade_Guy

• Juvenile
  • Centipede
Preggy Cleaner Shrimp!
« on: March 30, 2009, 19:16:31 »
So i noticed the other day my cleaner shrimp looked real green on it's belly.. upon closer inspection, there are loads of tiny little eggs in there. It'll even stick it's legs down in there and move em around. Totally awesome!

I've read that if you have a mating pair, they'll do this quite regularly..

I know it's free fish/coral food.. but i just love these guys so much it'd be cool to raise some....

So what do you guys think would be needed? Just like a 10g tank with a cheapie light and a bit of rock? Power heads? I mean how invested would you have to be to get the larvae or whatever to grow up to the size where they could be put into the display tank or sold without being eaten?

I also wonder if the mother/father whatever is required to stay with them for a certain period of time, or if after the parental shrimp lays them if they can just feed and be cool on their own?

I really don't want to go crazy with a shrimp breeding tank, but then again i don't really just want all my fish to eat all the larvae...
55 Gallon Reef - Hamilton, OH 45013

Arnold shares his deepest feelings

Offline larrynews

Re: Preggy Cleaner Shrimp!
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2009, 19:27:58 »
i had a pair before that mated great for the fish

Offline UD Flyer

• Adult
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2009, 19:34:00 »
That's really cool.

As far as raising them, i wouldn't have the slightest clue, but would be awesome if you were able to  raise them.

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2009, 22:15:27 »
Congrats Adam! that is fantastic.

Offline micki

• Best mamaw Reefer!!!
  • My munchkins! :)
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2009, 16:32:29 »
Cool!  I had am emerald crab pair that did the same thing. I have pictures of when the babies were born/hatched whatever you call it.

Offline Arcade_Guy

• Juvenile
  • Centipede
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2009, 20:37:14 »
thanks everyone! im still excited about this.

so it's been a couple weeks at least since i first noticed.. the shrimp still has the eggs. I think this time i'm going to let it disperse them into the water column, and in 3 weeks move the shrimp to a little 5 gallon tank to eject the second batch of eggs (hopefully) and then see if i can raise them. i've been reading a lot online, but there arent many resources on this topic.. apparently most people dont bother with it and just use it to feed the fish. cleaner shrimp are just too awesome tho!

if i'm successful (i've read it can take up to 6 months++ to get to the point where they drop to the sand bed and have their first molt) then any one that wants a cleaner shrimp or two can have one, or at least for a very small fee i.e. a couple bucks.

the plan is:
5 gallon tank with a bit of live rock, a large air pump for water circulation, the proper food, and very strict water changes. it will be interesting to see how this turns out, and hopefully eventually i will be able to raise even a small number to adolescence!

i'm also thinking of trying to do the same with peppermint shrimp, as it's apparently easier and there are many more resources available online for this particular shrimp... and as before, if i do this and succeed, then free shrimp!

Offline harleyrider

• Adult
  • If you have to ask, you cant afford it!
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2009, 20:45:22 »
Kool, ive got a small clear plastic tank that floats in your tank thats used to put eggs and baby fish to raise. its about 6x4x4, that way you can keep it in your existing water, you welcome to borrow it if youd like, just call me 937 231 7430 im in centerville, good luck

Offline Arcade_Guy

• Juvenile
  • Centipede
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2009, 20:48:35 »
Kool, ive got a small clear plastic tank that floats in your tank thats used to put eggs and baby fish to raise. its about 6x4x4, that way you can keep it in your existing water, you welcome to borrow it if youd like, just call me 937 231 7430 im in centerville, good luck

i was really interested in those, but i think the slits in the bottom are too large and the larvae would slip right thru, becoming lunch!

i know that i could get a filter sock or finer and cover said slits, but i think it may be better to use the 5g and swap a set amount of water every day or two with my main tank.

if that way doesnt work out i may just take you up on that offer!

either way, thanks!

Offline harleyrider

• Adult
  • If you have to ask, you cant afford it!
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2009, 20:54:01 »
No problem, just let me know if you need it,

Offline reefman

• Adult
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2009, 23:01:04 »
I do not think it can be done! I have not seen others doing it that I can remember.

reeferoz

« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2009, 20:17:31 »
that's awesome.  I had a pair of coral banded shrimp that provided free food for years.. unfortunately I lost them both in the past 6 months.  The second one died a couple months after the first.. not sure if they were just old or if it got a broken heart.