2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: Blue Damsels Maybe Laying Eggs?  (Read 3086 times)

Offline creepranger

• Egg
Blue Damsels Maybe Laying Eggs?
« on: January 10, 2010, 15:31:24 »
I know it's not really a reef question but I would like to know if anyone has witnessed Yellow-Tailed Blue Damsels breeding in their reef tank. They were the very first saltwater fish I got when I set up my tank two or three years ago and a couple months ago they became very territorial and more aggressive. They started pushing rocks and frags out of certain areas of the tank and I assumed that they were just staking out a claim to call their own. When I shot a flashlight beam into their little sacred cove I noticed a symmetrical pattern of little sparkling metallic beads covering the underside of an overhang and extending down the back side of the cave wall. I'm guessing that they must be eggs because one of the fish will always be in there and the other won't be far away. There must be over a hundred and they routinely fan them with their tails and seem to clean them with their mouths. Anyone have any idea what, if anything, I should do to provide for the security of their brood? Anything would be helpful as my experience in breeding fish is limited to freshwater.

Reefd Up

Re: Blue Damsels Maybe Laying Eggs?
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2010, 15:36:42 »
I don't have any experience with this, but here's a start for you:

http://www.wetwebmedia.com/damselreprofaqs.htm

There seems to be a little success reported with Yellow-tailed Blue Damsels reproducing in captivity - sounds similar to clownfish, but not nearly as easy.

Offline UDJustin

• Adult
Re: Blue Damsels Maybe Laying Eggs?
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2010, 20:52:33 »
I do believe last months issue of coral magazine talked about breeding blue damisels dont know about the yellow tails but i would assume they would be very similair
If you didn't know I'm kind of a big deal...