2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: Tank change advice.  (Read 2192 times)

Offline Travis8896

Tank change advice.
« on: November 18, 2013, 09:10:27 »
Ok come January I'm going to be switching to a 180g tank. What I'm looking for as far as advice goes is how to do the tank transfer smoothly the new tank will be going in the same spot as the old one, the only difference is that the new tanks sump will be in the basement so I will have to drill holes and run lines before the new tank can go in place. Does anyone have any suggestions how to do this and where should I keep my fish and coral while the new tank gets into place and how long will it have to cycle if I use the old rock and could I use the old sand and just add new to it?
"Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo

Offline Neogenesis

Re: Tank change advice.
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2013, 09:15:44 »
Pick up a large black tub from Tractor Supply......you should be able to sustain all life in there while you transfer.

I would also recommend that when transferring, put in a new sandbed, don't try to transfer your existing one.

Offline Viggen

« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2013, 09:21:36 »
Like stated getting a tub from tractor supply will hold things over, if you are ever in dayton you are more then welcome to borrow one of the 3 tubs that I have.  I have two 150g and a 300g tub.

I would use a tub and if possibly hook your present sump up to it as well and you should be fine for weeks. 
300g tub o fish

Offline Travis8896

« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2013, 09:22:47 »
Ok how much sand is needed for a standard 180? Would the new sand start a cycle or would I be ok to add the rock to the tank after it settles I don't want to lose any coral.
"Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo

Offline Travis8896

« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2013, 09:24:14 »
Like stated getting a tub from tractor supply will hold things over, if you are ever in dayton you are more then welcome to borrow one of the 3 tubs that I have.  I have two 150g and a 300g tub.

I would use a tub and if possibly hook your present sump up to it as well and you should be fine for weeks.

thanks I'll let u know if I make it that way

Offline Neogenesis

« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2013, 09:26:18 »
I put 160 lbs in mine....and could use more.

Offline Travis8896

« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2013, 09:48:26 »
Have one question what's wrong with using the old sand it is around 1 year old?

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2013, 12:41:59 »
You may want to drill the hole after the stand is in place to align it up. I did mine right through the stand, floor and ceiling all together at one time. Note that the floor is on top of the basement cement walls so you are likely going to have to cut your hole about 12" into the room from the wall.

Offline Steve

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Adult
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2013, 14:02:48 »
Have one question what's wrong with using the old sand it is around 1 year old?

Yes I am getting ready to do the same thing and was looking at taking the sand out of my 90 and mixing it with new  in the 180.

Offline Neogenesis

« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2013, 14:59:07 »
Could you do it?   Yes....I'm sure your could, but what about all that stuff that's trapped in your sand, get mixed up, and released.  What it boils down to is, how clean do you think your sandbed is............multiply that dirtiness by 10............and do you really want to move all that into your new tank?

I personally wouldn't risk it and buy new sand.  It's cheap insurance that your not putting crud into your new tank.

Offline Viggen

« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2013, 15:57:07 »
Like stated the issue is it could release stuff into the tank causing troubles. 

If you do use the old sand possibly use the old sand plus whatever new rock you want and
Et the tank cycle with that with your old rock and corals in qt.  then once its cycled add your old rock and corals to the new setup and you should be good to go
300g tub o fish

Offline slandis3

• Slandiscreations
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2013, 17:33:33 »
I have done many tank upgrades over the years. I always try to use new sand when I can. I take cheap pantyhose and cut about 8"-10" off the bottom. I fill them with old sand and place it in the new tank. This is a good way to get a lot of the bacteria from the old tank to the new.When I have moved a tank to replace it I put everything in a big tub. Setup the new tank then once the water is right I add the rock without and coral for the base and some of the old sand. Then let it set for a day. I then add everything else the next day. In all my moves over the years I have had very little to no loss of livestock or coral.  When I did my 400g upgrade I got the water to the same as the tank in the house and did a complete move the same day. I didn't lose anything.

Offline Viggen

« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2013, 18:00:16 »
I take cheap pantyhose
I hope its not your pantyhose.... Sorry... Couldn't resist :)
300g tub o fish

Offline slandis3

• Slandiscreations
« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2013, 22:06:08 »
I hope its not your pantyhose.... Sorry... Couldn't resist :)

Lol I figured someone would hit me with that.

Offline Travis8896

« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2013, 23:46:09 »
Ok lol thanx guys I really appreciate the tips if you think of any others by January let me know I could use all the help I cam get  :be happy:

Offline andys1982

• Adult
« Reply #15 on: November 20, 2013, 10:32:07 »
If it was me (on a serious budget) I would reuse as much of the sand as possible by either adding to the new tank and allowing to settle/re-establish prior to adding livestock, or I would put it all in a tote and allow it all to dry, clean thoroughly, and introduce.  I think the main concern here is introducing toxins (e.g., sulfur) that can develope in pockets in a deep sand bed.  As long as the sand is not disturbed or added directly to a system containing stock, you should be okay.