2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: Using RO/DI waste water  (Read 5936 times)

Offline bkvreef

• Adult
Using RO/DI waste water
« on: April 02, 2009, 08:37:06 »
Since spring/summer time is near I was wondering if I can make use of the waste water from the RO/DI to water the yard or plants?  Will the impurities that are filtered out be to strong to be used on the grass or plants?
Thanks and God Bless,
John

Offline mdcoblentz

• Juvenile
Re: Using RO/DI waste water
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2009, 09:09:06 »
It should be just fine to water plants and other simple activities with.  Unless you're talking about orchids or other finicky types
Inspired!!!

Offline bkvreef

• Adult
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2009, 09:15:59 »
What taking care of my tank isn't enough time consuming?
Flowers that die every fall?  I finally got to the point were I wasn't killing fish every year  ^-^

Thanks mdcoblentz
Thanks and God Bless,
John

Offline verper

« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2009, 09:19:59 »
It should be just fine to water plants and other simple activities with.  Unless you're talking about orchids or other finicky types

+1  Although I don't know a thing about orchids.

Offline Amstar

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Adult
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2009, 10:02:38 »
I saw somewhere that you can use one of those low pressure sprinklers for flower beds and just hook your ro/di waste water line up to it.  I believe wal-mart sells them.

So I guess if you had a long enough line of ro waste water line you could actually use it to water the grass??

Offline ohioreef

• Founding Member
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2009, 10:09:34 »
I saw somewhere that you can use one of those low pressure sprinklers for flower beds and just hook your ro/di waste water line up to it.  I believe wal-mart sells them.

So I guess if you had a long enough line of ro waste water line you could actually use it to water the grass??

Would probably work great with a drip irrigation system but probably not so well to water the grass.

Offline Amstar

• Adult
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2009, 10:35:59 »
using something like this???

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=241454-13598-15300U&lpage=none

sure it wouldnt get a huge area... but like stated it might work in a garden or the flower-bed

Offline ohioreef

• Founding Member
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2009, 11:37:44 »
Would depend on the pressure coming out of the waste line. I would think a lot of pressure would be lost pushing the water through the membrane.

MechanicalEngineer

« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2009, 18:29:55 »
No, you can't use waste water on orchids...I grow them. 

We run our waste water into our washer...and sometimes I water plants with it.  So yes, it's fine. 

Offline Amstar

• Adult
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2009, 23:12:36 »
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1598708

I thought I saw something like this on reefcentral.. So i asked someone to find the link.

Offline Russ

• Fry
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2009, 08:59:09 »
If you can do it, use a long enough tube to reach your washing machine - and as Reed'd up said - do you wash with it.

Russ

Offline bkvreef

• Adult
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2009, 23:38:24 »
the washer won't overflow?
Thanks and God Bless,
John

Offline Russ

• Fry
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2009, 05:18:38 »
It will if you let it.

Reefd Up

« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2009, 06:21:45 »
the washer won't overflow?

Hehehe...we've had that happen all too often.  You just have to watch it or set up a shut-off system.

Offline bkvreef

• Adult
« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2009, 08:28:23 »
Sorry maybe a better way of asking is this:  Does the washer have a float valve so that it fills until it trips the float and then won't fill anymore?  So that if I add water prior to the start up it will still only fill up to the normal level.
Thanks and God Bless,
John

Offline Russ

• Fry
« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2009, 08:56:45 »
No sir

Offline bkvreef

• Adult
« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2009, 09:19:30 »
No sir
I'm sorry if I'm not understanding.
If the washer adds 10gal of water normally even if I add 7gal of waste water it will still add 10gal?
Thanks and God Bless,
John

Offline Russ

• Fry
« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2009, 09:40:35 »
Your washer will "know" when it is full.  So if you added 7 gallons of waste water, it would only add 3 more.

The potential still exists to overflow the washer because you don't have a float valve on the end of the DI tube however.

Russ

Offline bkvreef

• Adult
« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2009, 09:50:56 »
Thanks for the insight.  That answers alot of questions
Thanks and God Bless,
John

Reefd Up

« Reply #19 on: April 27, 2009, 10:29:43 »
Just to clarify for anyone else out there (the train of thought up above might be confusing to some):

If your waste water goes into the washer, if you don't turn the RO/DI off or have it set up to shut itself off with a solenoid...your washer will overflow.

If you fill your washer up only halfway with waste water and want to run a load of laundry, the washer will fill itself up to the level selected on the washer.  So, if you want to run a full load of laundry and only have the washer half full of waste water, the washer will know to add another half bin of water. 

Offline bkvreef

• Adult
« Reply #20 on: April 27, 2009, 10:58:20 »
Thanks.
I'll now ask the question my wife will pose to me.
Using waste water will it affect the cleanliness of the clothes?
Thanks and God Bless,
John

Offline Russ

• Fry
« Reply #21 on: April 27, 2009, 11:00:22 »
I've been using waste water for laundary for years - seems to work fine- I can't tell a difference in the laundary.

Russ

Offline Riderc82

• Adult
« Reply #22 on: April 27, 2009, 16:28:29 »
My waste water goes into the washer and so far no one has told me I stink so I think you'll be fine.  ;D

Offline chromiumlux

« Reply #23 on: May 06, 2009, 21:38:13 »
BFS hit the nail on the head. Thats what I do. Tube runs to washing machine. works great.
Chromiumlux

Offline bkvreef

• Adult
« Reply #24 on: May 07, 2009, 08:09:32 »
Well it works so far.  Granted the first load I used the water had to be washed several times but that was because leaving it in the washing machine for a full day after you wash it tends to leave it not smelling to good  :banghead
Thanks and God Bless,
John

Offline micki

• Best mamaw Reefer!!!
  • My munchkins! :)
« Reply #25 on: May 07, 2009, 08:54:30 »
Well it works so far.  Granted the first load I used the water had to be washed several times but that was because leaving it in the washing machine for a full day after you wash it tends to leave it not smelling to good  :banghead

LOL That is too funny!  :D

Offline bkvreef

• Adult
« Reply #26 on: May 07, 2009, 10:14:54 »
Funny until you wear one of those t-shirts to church last night and realize (too late) that it was put into the dryer too late!!!
Stinky
Thanks and God Bless,
John

Offline Wall_Tank

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #27 on: May 07, 2009, 19:07:56 »
If you fill your washer up only halfway with waste water and want to run a load of laundry, the washer will fill itself up to the level selected on the washer.  So, if you want to run a full load of laundry and only have the washer half full of waste water, the washer will know to add another half bin of water. 

This is difficult if you have one of those new fangled front load washers.  Not only is it hard to fill up with the door open, but they empty at the beginning of the cycle.

Offline buckeyereefer

• Adult
« Reply #28 on: May 07, 2009, 19:37:26 »
  i am trying to figure this out myself. i also have a front load machine. i am thinking of
a container for the waste water to be stored in and have a hose running to the back
of the washer where the water is hooked up. one problem is if i have 50 gallons of RO/DI
water i will have 150 to 200 gallon of waste so that is alot of storage space! this is in
the thinking process now but is something i definitely want to do. i feel bad about the
waste water being "wasted". 

Offline TechGuy

• "Fraginator"
« Reply #29 on: July 12, 2009, 20:30:09 »
Mine goes into the washer, or the Chiclid tank.

Offline UDJustin

• Adult
« Reply #30 on: July 13, 2009, 14:13:00 »
you could run a straight DI system and not use an RO and then you wouldnt have the waste water problem
If you didn't know I'm kind of a big deal...

Offline aquavista99

« Reply #31 on: July 13, 2009, 15:06:05 »
you could run a straight DI system and not use an RO and then you wouldnt have the waste water problem

True, but you would have a huge DI waste problem (IE, the  DI resin will not last long if feed raw tap water as opposed to your water being pre-filtered by a carbon block and a RO membrane first). 1 cartridge refill (1.25 pounds) of Nuclear Grade DI Resin will cost you about $8-$12 ...you may be able to get 10 gallons or so of DI filtered water before the resin expires, depending upon the source of your water. Burning through DI resin is expensive, even if you buy it in bulk (unless you have a nano tank). Purchasing a pre-made saltwater mix from your LFS would be cheaper than filtering tap water through DI only in my opinion. 

Offline TechGuy

• "Fraginator"
« Reply #32 on: July 13, 2009, 15:21:29 »
True, but you would have a huge DI waste problem (IE, the  DI resin will not last long if feed raw tap water as opposed to your water being pre-filtered by a carbon block and a RO membrane first). 1 cartridge refill (1.25 pounds) of Nuclear Grade DI Resin will cost you about $8-$12 ...you may be able to get 10 gallons or so of DI filtered water before the resin expires, depending upon the source of your water. Burning through DI resin is expensive, even if you buy it in bulk (unless you have a nano tank). Purchasing a pre-made saltwater mix from your LFS would be cheaper than filtering tap water through DI only in my opinion. 

It would be cheaper. Just don't get PetLand in Piqua's Pre-Mixed Tap Water. Or Jacks in Sidneys phosphate enhanced water :D

Offline UDJustin

• Adult
« Reply #33 on: July 13, 2009, 21:54:24 »
you would still use a carbon and prefilter, you could also get rechargeable DI resin which would come close to balancing the cost of you wasting all the water and be more enviornmentally friendly than wasting all the water.
If you didn't know I'm kind of a big deal...

Offline aquavista99

« Reply #34 on: July 14, 2009, 00:26:19 »
I recall Russ stating at the RO/DI meeting that recharging DE Resin is not cheap and/or easy to do?  In any event, carbon and a pre-filter will not protect the DI resin that much....not like a RO membrane would. Eco friendly yes but labor intensive as well.

If anyone is interested in Nuclear grade DI Resin, I am bringing some to the swap for sale (listed on fragswapper.com)

Offline aquavista99

« Reply #35 on: July 14, 2009, 11:03:30 »
FYI-How to Recharge DI resin

I found a good article on how to recharge DI resin for the DIY folks. However, the rub is that you need (emphasis added)  RO/DI water, along with various chemicals, to make/recharge the DI resin.

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2008-09/nftt/index.php

Offline Wall_Tank

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #36 on: July 14, 2009, 20:02:15 »
FYI-How to Recharge DI resin

I found a good article on how to recharge DI resin for the DIY folks. However, the rub is that you need (emphasis added)  RO/DI water, along with various chemicals, to make/recharge the DI resin.

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2008-09/nftt/index.php

Okay, glanced through that.  Lye, Muriatic Acid.........  I'll just continue to buy it

Offline Russ

• Fry
« Reply #37 on: July 14, 2009, 20:55:13 »
That what I was getting at at the meeting.  We don't provide instructions for recharging because of liability issues related to working with strong bases and acids.