2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: Rimless glass build?  (Read 1488 times)

Offline Blazinreef

• Adult
Rimless glass build?
« on: December 28, 2010, 16:52:10 »
Am thinking about building my own frag tank, 48x24x12 with overflows.  I want to build this out of glass and make it rimless.  Who as built their own glass tank can give me ideas and tell me whether this is easy or not.  Thanks
Firefighting:  How hard can it be?  You just put the wet stuff on the red stuff right?

57 Rimless SPS/LPS in the works

OLD:180g mixed reef, 60g sump, 2 30g frag tanks, 30g macro algae tank.  300g total system.

Offline HUNGER

Re: Rimless glass build?
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2010, 16:58:28 »
that would be sweet dont know how hard it would be
SIZE DOES MATTER

Offline DarinSchmidt

• darinschmidt@gmail.com
  • The wisest man knows he knows nothing at all.
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2011, 09:16:54 »
From what i read abotu rimless, it's prob best for smaller tanks. You have to keep it balances so it has equal pressure on all corners. Has to be very thick glass/acrylic because thats the bonding edge that is holding the sides together (i think it should be rather easy to do with acrylic as there are some really good bonding agents like weldon-4 to weld the edges together). Need a foam pad (well a lot of people use it to help keep the balance??). Rimless is sweet, but without a way to make a really solid seam, i dont know if glass would be my suggestion. Acrylic, sure, as long as its thick enough and had a really strong weld. I prob wouldnt use anything less than 1/2-2/4" thick on that size of a tank so that 5 years later it doesnt split.

Offline DarinSchmidt

• darinschmidt@gmail.com
  • The wisest man knows he knows nothing at all.
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2011, 09:17:55 »
supposed to of been 1/2-3/4" but i think that 1/2 would be enough, but def not 1/4"

Offline Cole Harlow

• Adult
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2011, 15:44:05 »
heres a good link for diy glass aquarium http://beautifuldragons.503xtreme.com/Aquarium.html and

and heres a good link for building an acrylic aquarium http://www.cichlid-forum.com/articles/diy_acrylic_aquarium.php
90 gallon shallow