2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: DIY OysterCrete Reef Rock  (Read 4428 times)

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
DIY OysterCrete Reef Rock
« on: July 12, 2010, 02:21:15 »

Offline cyberwollf

• 2010 FragSwap Chairman
Re: DIY OysterCrete Reef Rock
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2010, 06:51:34 »
Are you planning this for your tank?
75G Mixed Reef w/ 30G sump/refuge

Electrical Engineers do it on impulse, with faster rise times, with more power, and less resistance at higher frequencies, without shorts, until it Hertz

Offline HUNGER

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2010, 08:16:49 »
thats perrty niffty
SIZE DOES MATTER

Offline larrynews

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2010, 09:32:55 »
i tried that one year and couldnt get the ph ever to come down,

slandis3

« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2010, 10:20:56 »
I have enough kiddy pools to try this sometime. I would use play sand as a mold because its cheaper. I may offer a diy shop on this later this summer after I get some things done around the house.

Offline motley

• Fry
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2010, 11:51:35 »
i made some of that stuff and it would be nice for a fish only.  but if you put coral on it,  it will be hard to frag because the cement is really hard to brake.  fyi

michael

Offline HUNGER

« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2010, 14:53:04 »
ya it would be hard to frag off thats when u put a plug right next to it and than the croal will grow on the plug
SIZE DOES MATTER

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2010, 20:02:49 »
i tried that one year and couldnt get the ph ever to come down,
I believe it. Those DIY plugs I made had been in my swimming pool for three months and PH still is not down to 8. I tried a full gallon of vinegar to four gallons of water for a month and PH was really low. Then I dumped out the vinegar water, rinsed and refilled with RO/DI water and PH went right back up to 9.5 after a couple days of soaking so they were still leaching. They are likely fine due to small size of plugs.

Are you planning this for your tank?

No I would be afraid that much rock would leach back into a tiny aquarium indefinably. Perhaps a really long bath in a stream, lake or ocean would get most of the nasties out.

Offline HUNGER

« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2010, 21:43:40 »
ya that would be kinda high ph 
SIZE DOES MATTER

Offline TechGuy

• "Fraginator"
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2010, 22:41:29 »
I believe it. Those DIY plugs I made had been in my swimming pool for three months and PH still is not down to 8. I tried a full gallon of vinegar to four gallons of water for a month and PH was really low. Then I dumped out the vinegar water, rinsed and refilled with RO/DI water and PH went right back up to 9.5 after a couple days of soaking so they were still leaching. They are likely fine due to small size of plugs.

No I would be afraid that much rock would leach back into a tiny aquarium indefinably. Perhaps a really long bath in a stream, lake or ocean would get most of the nasties out.

Cheap buffer :p I kid!

While I totally dig the DIY aspect, and the fact we aren't pulling rock from a reef. That stuff looks horrible! As base rock? Maybe, but for the full display, no way.

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2010, 23:40:16 »
The very large back right one is neat looking from the side profile. Someone will some day perfect the DIY reef rock. He does a good job with shapes but the texture is not quite there yet.

Offline cyberwollf

• 2010 FragSwap Chairman
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2010, 06:51:43 »
What kind of cement did you use Brian?

Electrical Engineers do it on impulse, with faster rise times, with more power, and less resistance at higher frequencies, without shorts, until it Hertz

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2010, 18:30:36 »
Both, Type II White Portland Cement and Type II Gray Portland Cement

Offline HUNGER

« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2010, 19:11:26 »
heck iv used bricks to keep my ph up before
SIZE DOES MATTER

Offline cyberwollf

• 2010 FragSwap Chairman
« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2010, 21:58:04 »
Both, Type II White Portland Cement and Type II Gray Portland Cement
'

Yep, thats suppose to be the stuff that "sets" quickest and easiest to get the pH down.  I have heard hit or miss.  Some people never had a problem with it, and others can let it sit for months and still raise pH.

back when I was thinking about building and selling rock, I found a guy that had a 1 month cycle.  He made them and set them on a basketball court in the sun for 1 week to cure. then 1 week in a outside tank. and the last 2 weeks were in an outdoor tank plumbed into his huge growout system.  by the time he went to ship they were already getting coraline growth!!!  he just had a slow rotation of rock moving at all times

Offline TechGuy

• "Fraginator"
« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2010, 22:06:47 »
The very large back right one is neat looking from the side profile. Someone will some day perfect the DIY reef rock. He does a good job with shapes but the texture is not quite there yet.

Oh yeah, definitely some very nice shapes.

Offline HUNGER

« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2010, 22:09:54 »
thats a long process
SIZE DOES MATTER