2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: Fish with fin rot (I think)  (Read 1748 times)

Offline Twizted1

• Adult
Fish with fin rot (I think)
« on: February 14, 2012, 21:10:52 »
Went out today & got 3 green chromis @ lfs. Got them home, acclimated them, & thru them in the tank. Now looking @ them, noticed that one has strange looking tail fins. Looks like fin rot to me. What do I do? Is it going to infect the other fish? Am I going to have to drain the tank & start over? I thought becauce these where among the 1st fish in the tank it couldn't hurt just throing them in there.

Offline Twizted1

• Adult
Re: Fish with fin rot (I think)
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2012, 08:40:19 »
I just noticed this is in the wrong spot. I a mod would like to move it, please do. Sorry

Offline Boonjob

• Reefkeeping: Go Broke or Go Home
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2012, 10:06:57 »
Moved....

Got any pics?  Fin rot is bacterial(not uncommon) and it also could be a symptom of a under lying condition, such as HLLE.

It could also be something a simple as picking/fighting and not fin rot

It is normally from less than desirable water conditions... considering you just picked him up... it could be from where you got him, or perhaps he was just recently shipped, and got it in the shipping container(most likely).

List your water Perimeters... Specifically ammonia,trites,trates,phates....

Keep up on water changes, supplement Garlic(helps the immune), If it gets worse, you can QT him and treat with antibiotic(Maracyn)... but as bad as it sounds you need to weigh out if he is worth that treatment or not....

The other fish can get it, as it is bacterial, however their immune systems, provided they are not supressed, should handle it just fine, supplement garlic to assist with theirs, plus his immune.

It is not something that you would need to strip your entire tank for or start over for...

If you decide to dose antibiotics... DO NOT DO IT IN YOUR DT.... QT THE FISH... it will wreak havoc on your biofilters.

« Last Edit: February 15, 2012, 10:18:12 by Boonjob »
God is great, Beer is good, and People are crazy...

Life is a beach, I'm just playing in the sand.

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/boonjob-s-reef-tank

Offline Twizted1

• Adult
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2012, 21:31:04 »
Shoo, thank you for the info. I couldn't get a clear pic. But the more I look @ it, the more I think maybe it was being picked on. I just hides in the rock away from the other fish.

My parameters are Ammonia=.10, trites=.10,trates=.25, phates=.10

As far as garlic? Do I just use the wifes garlic powder? For now I'm feeding flakes but could mix it in with that. Again thanks for the info. I'm sure I would have crashed this tank if it weren't for this site.

Offline marineman

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Adult
    • My website
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2012, 10:14:26 »
You can supplement food with garlic for one. Several brands also make a liquid tank supplement that you could use as well. I've never had much luck with garlic personally. I'd be more inclined to try Maracyn and Melafix. Plain tea tree oil has helped with the healing process as well. I just add a few drops to my 6-gal QT tank.