2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: Is this a AEFW????  (Read 4323 times)

Offline pontiac2002gtp

• Adult
Is this a AEFW????
« on: April 09, 2009, 23:20:53 »
with flash

without flash

Offline reefman

• Adult
Re: Is this a AEFW????
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2009, 23:37:53 »
Looks like it!!

Reefd Up

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2009, 23:41:57 »
Ugh, yeah.  Looks like it to me too.  That sucks.  Were they on an Acropora?  Good pictures....although that probably doesn't make you feel better.

Offline pontiac2002gtp

• Adult
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2009, 00:10:04 »
I found it on a couple acro frags I was dipping but I don't see any signs of damage or eggs on the frags I'm running out of room to qt stuff I guess I need to stop buying stuff.

Offline larrynews

« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2009, 09:25:55 »
what do you dip you your corals in before you put them in the main tank

Offline pontiac2002gtp

• Adult
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2009, 10:27:12 »
I have been doing a lugol's dip then qt before I put them in I didn't use to but now I'm glad I started.

Offline larrynews

« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2009, 11:03:06 »
i dont use anything and i dont use a qt, is there anything i can just dip them in

Offline Logzor

• Juvenile
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2009, 11:50:18 »
100% AEFW. It gives me the chills seeing those. 

Larry, are you talking precautionary or are they already in your system (you suspect)?

Precautionary you can dip them in store iodine (the really dark stuff) @2mL per gallon. You can also use a product called Revive by two little fishes. Some even use a combo (like me). Others prefer tropic marin pro coral cure (iodine) to store bought stuff. Keep the dip under 15 minutes and stir up the corals to help knock the creatures off. Over soaking in iodine with do damage the the zooxanthelle in the coral and the color may not return for months.

You can dip new corals in this solution to spot these pests. These creatures will scatter off. Prepare to have a magnified glass to inspect the water very very closely. They can be tiny. If you do not have a QT and have other acropora in your tank you may as well toss the frag. Some say that these creatures will burrow into the coral immediately after birth. Others suggest that Polyclads such as these have planktonic larvae which enter the water column upon birth.

Another scary thing is that you could go months, even a year, without realizing you have these. Most people assume these consume corals quickly. This is not the case - they need rather large populations to do any noticeable damage. Depending on tank conditions, populations may stay down forever and you will never notice them, in other cases they can multiple quickly and you will realize you have a problem in a short time. It is all conditional and people tend to forget this and assume their tank is clean. This is one reason why the creature can spread so easily.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2009, 11:52:30 by Logzor »

Offline pontiac2002gtp

• Adult
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2009, 15:15:18 »
I didn't know they could go undetected for extended periods but thats good to know I think most people think you will see the damage within a week.

Offline larrynews

« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2009, 15:28:14 »
thanks i do NOT suspect that i have any just dont want to get them, can i dip all new corals in the stuff or just the Acropora

Offline Logzor

• Juvenile
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2009, 15:29:26 »
Yeah. Unless you have not added anything to your tank for a year, you inspect every inch of your acropora every night with a flashlight (which is impossible because some parts of the colony are hidden), or do a 6 week QT for every coral then you can not be 100% that you have them. Heck, they could even arrive in chaeto transfers.

Yes, you may and should dip all new corals in this and watch for other things like nudibranchs and predatory snails. The recommend dip time is pretty safe.

Offline reefman

• Adult
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2009, 15:30:09 »
I didn't know they could go undetected for extended periods but thats good to know I think most people think you will see the damage within a week.

If you get them in your main tank you will have them for a long time. Usually the damage is slow but sometimes they can kill a coral fast. Just look for teeth marks at the bottom of the corals.

Offline reefman

• Adult
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2009, 15:37:18 »

Reefd Up

« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2009, 17:34:01 »
There are many people just "living" with AEFW.  Weekly turkey-basting all acroporas in the tank usually keeps things in check.  If you're not willing to treat for them, that's what I'd do (but I'd personally treat them.)  Get some fish that like eating that sort of thing (coris wrasses, etc.) as well.

Offline verper

« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2009, 21:01:04 »
There are many people just "living" with AEFW.  Weekly turkey-basting all acroporas in the tank usually keeps things in check.  If you're not willing to treat for them, that's what I'd do (but I'd personally treat them.)  Get some fish that like eating that sort of thing (coris wrasses, etc.) as well.

And don't sell or trade ANYTHING in your tank to another hobbiest or retailer.  If this is your approach, you just have to live with what you have and throw away things that get overgrown (ie -coral, macro algae)

Offline pontiac2002gtp

• Adult
« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2009, 21:46:23 »
Just to clear things up the flatworm never went in my main system and I have never found any pests there.  I have been very careful not to let any of the water get in my system.

Offline jeblin

• Adult
« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2009, 22:15:21 »
I think Scott was referring to Nikki's post about some people just "live with it" using turkey basters weekly, etc....if you are one that just "lives with them", don't trade corals with someone else unless you're completely upfront about it. I probably wouldn't even then, but I'm in the "treating the problem" camp not the "living with it" one.

Offline verper

« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2009, 23:12:25 »
I think Scott was referring to Nikki's post about some people just "live with it" using turkey basters weekly, etc....if you are one that just "lives with them", don't trade corals with someone else unless you're completely upfront about it. I probably wouldn't even then, but I'm in the "treating the problem" camp not the "living with it" one.

Correct.  I saw a presentation by the caretaker of Atlantis Marine World Aquarium in New York.  The tank is 20,000 gallons and they have AEFW as well as almost all the other known pests.  The large water volume makes treatment cost prohibitive so they live with them.  He talked about diving in the tank on a weekly basis and blowing the flat worms off of the coral with a powerhead.  After a couple of times doing it, the fish learned that it was feeding time (eating the flatworms). 

http://www.atlantismarineworld.com/exhibit-indoor-coralreef.html

So, yeah, I'm saying you have to be a responsible individual if you choose to "just live with them".  Unfortunately, there are those that are not.

Offline aquavista99

« Reply #18 on: April 12, 2009, 14:15:25 »
So, yeah, I'm saying you have to be a responsible individual if you choose to "just live with them".  Unfortunately, there are those that are not.

I agree 100%.There is nothing wrong with living with pests, which may slip past your very best efforts to keep them out of your system. But once you have them, just be honest with others before offering to trade or sell frags.

I have seen an increase in the amount of AEFWs and red bug breakouts in the area and across the country. In my opinion, the first step for anyone wanting to keep SPS is to invest in a separate SPS QT system and observe all new frags for weeks, if not longer, before adding them to your display tank. Most newbies to SPS do not QT or just do iodine dips. You even see the pests in expert tanks as well (re: check out the last few RC TOTM winners and you may be surprised how many individuals with amazing tanks are living with AEFWs). Very few fish shops QT corals as well. Red bugs can survive most iodine baths and the eggs from other pests, like AEFWs and Monti eating nudis, have to be manually removed because various medications and dips will not kill the eggs.

As for AEFWs, does anyone know how long the flatworm can live or survive without an acropora host coral? Red bugs can live only up to five days without an acropora host whereas I have read articles that suggest monti eating nudies can live up to 3 months without a montipora host.

Reefd Up

« Reply #19 on: April 12, 2009, 15:54:29 »
I don't know about AEFW, but I've heard of other articles describing Monti-eating nudi's that have survived in a Montipora-free aquarium for 6 months...up to one report of almost 2 years.  Scary stuff.