2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: Need someone good with wood....  (Read 1908 times)

Offline Blazinreef

• Adult
Need someone good with wood....
« on: December 01, 2010, 23:30:09 »
So for my new 180 I need a tank and canopy.  I'm hoping to find someone to build one as I'm not no where close to a carpenter.  I found a picture of what almost exactly I want.  It will be painted black just like this so it doesnt even matter what its made of.  Anyone that is awesome with wood let me know.  I don't want to pay an arm and a leg to buy one, plus all the canopies never have room for mhs.

« Last Edit: December 01, 2010, 23:35:04 by Blazinreef »
Firefighting:  How hard can it be?  You just put the wet stuff on the red stuff right?

57 Rimless SPS/LPS in the works

OLD:180g mixed reef, 60g sump, 2 30g frag tanks, 30g macro algae tank.  300g total system.

Offline cyberwollf

• 2010 FragSwap Chairman
Re: Need someone good with wood....
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2010, 06:47:25 »
So for my new 180 I need a tank and canopy. 

Stand and canopy?

That would be fairly easy, you could use wanes-coat panneling skinned over 2x4 frame.  Could get it done in a weekend probably for pretty cheap.  I just dont have any free time since i started grad school.
75G Mixed Reef w/ 30G sump/refuge

Electrical Engineers do it on impulse, with faster rise times, with more power, and less resistance at higher frequencies, without shorts, until it Hertz

slandis3

« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2010, 07:04:08 »
Stand and canopy with hardware should cost about $200 before paint. The stand frame is cheap. The "skin" of the stand and trim is where you can rack up some money. If you start at noon you should be ready for paint by 5pm if you go with a really simple design. The frame to my stand took about an hour to build.

Offline HUNGER

« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2010, 08:23:55 »
made this in my apt  but spent a good chunk of change on oak but only have about 10 buck in frameing in the hood about 100 in the stand and at leats 300 to 400 in trim

SIZE DOES MATTER

Offline Viggen

« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2010, 11:58:05 »
by the time you pay someone for their time it might be cheaper to buy a pre-made stand/canopy.  Did you get prices on what it costs from the tank manufacturer? 

300g tub o fish

slandis3

« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2010, 12:08:52 »
Just watch the pre-made stands can sometimes fall apart when they get wet. I know the smaller stands are made from MDF and will crumble over time with repeated water exposure. 

slandis3

« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2010, 12:10:10 »
made this in my apt  but spent a good chunk of change on oak but only have about 10 buck in frameing in the hood about 100 in the stand and at leats 300 to 400 in trim

This stand was made with 4 2"x6" and 4 2"x4" boards if I remember correctly.

Offline Viggen

« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2010, 14:50:09 »
Just watch the pre-made stands can sometimes fall apart when they get wet. I know the smaller stands are made from MDF and will crumble over time with repeated water exposure.

never understood why they do that, they always seem to make the bottom out of mdf
300g tub o fish

Offline HUNGER

« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2010, 15:12:59 »

This stand was made with 4 2"x6" and 4 2"x4" boards if I remember correctly.
yup and the hood was 1x1s or 2x2s and 1 2x4
SIZE DOES MATTER

Offline HUNGER

« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2010, 15:13:44 »
and once salt gets in it its starts to split
SIZE DOES MATTER

Offline Blazinreef

• Adult
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2010, 18:14:23 »
I like the look of alot of the prebuilts and it is what I have always had on my tanks.  The problem is I want a tall canopy to get the lights in and once you start looking at a tall canopy they cost 400 bucks.  I was just going to get perfecto stand/canopy when I order the tank, but they went to two doors instead of three.  I was also going to go with allglass and just use a stand as the canopy( which I think would look really cool) but the inside dimensions of the stands are 70 in. and my light is 72.  Thats why I'm thinking I'm going to have to go the other route.  I don't want it to look bad either, this is the last one I'm doing for a while so it needs to be a nice show tank.  If anyone knows where to get good prebuilt ones that would be great.  My biggest dilemma is the canopy.
Firefighting:  How hard can it be?  You just put the wet stuff on the red stuff right?

57 Rimless SPS/LPS in the works

OLD:180g mixed reef, 60g sump, 2 30g frag tanks, 30g macro algae tank.  300g total system.

slandis3

« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2010, 20:24:27 »
When you get ready to build one I am sure there are a few of us that would help you make a stand and canopy. It would be built the way you want it and would be custom fit to match your lights.

Offline HUNGER

« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2010, 20:39:05 »
When you get ready to build one I am sure there are a few of us that would help you make a stand and canopy. It would be built the way you want it and would be custom fit to match your lights.
+ 1  but we could do a hood alot cheaper
SIZE DOES MATTER