2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: Please Id this algea  (Read 1473 times)

Offline Warhawk937

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Adult
Please Id this algea
« on: June 17, 2019, 19:08:48 »
After the near miss with the outage this stuff is showing up on rocks corals equipment and sand.  Comes off equipment easily as is brown. Catches bubbles.  I don’t want to use chemi clean if I don’t need to.

Offline SweetReefOH

• Adult
Re: Please Id this algea
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2019, 19:22:55 »
Appears to be Dinoflagellates. I get those when my nutrients are too low or I add too much “new surface” area to the tank like a new Frag rack or something.

Offline Agame43

• Adult
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2019, 22:58:40 »

Dido - on the Dino's.

Offline Gary

• Adult
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2019, 01:15:11 »
You can do the reconstitution test or use a microscopic to examine it. Dinoflagellates are flagellate (whip like appendage) eukaryotes (cells that are enclosed by a membrane) and can be photosynthetic, but not all are. Cyanobacteria is a prokaryotic (lack internal cell bodies) bacteria and do obtain their energy through photosynthesis, so a simple 3 day black out of the tank will definitely impact them. The impact to the dinoflagellates will vary because some are not photosynthetic and use different sources of energy.
 None of these organisms are eradicated. They constantly compete for resources.  dilution is a good place to start (water change), reduce the nutrients, and a 2-3 day blackout
Good luck!
« Last Edit: June 18, 2019, 02:09:47 by Gary »

Offline Agame43

• Adult
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2019, 20:02:09 »

Gary great information: Can you share more about the 'reconstitution method and what to look for with a microscope' ?

thanks Rick

Offline Agame43

• Adult
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2019, 22:18:28 »

If your issue is Dinoflagellates are flagellate or  (whip like appendage) there may be some caution on water changes. There are some good articles out there about not doing water changes with Dino's - seems to make the issue worse in some cases. With your tank being reset after the storm and adding new things these have won out over the other competing algae in your tank for now. Check nutrient levels - adjust if needed, stop adding coral for now, lots of flow, add a polishing filter 10micron or so to pick up what maybe in the water column, clean up what maybe on rock or frag plugs each evening. I think that this Dino cure can read two ways - clean well to rid out of system or run a dirty tank to create a new say 'hair algae' to out compete the Dino's.

I rambled on for a bit - hope this helps!

Offline Warhawk937

• Adult
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2019, 00:49:49 »
Great info from everybody tanks

Offline Gary

• Adult
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2019, 12:17:14 »
Sorry I have been trying to get outdoor stuff done between the rain showers. The method I have used is siphon out some of the material into a container. Stir it up. Pour it through a very fine paper towel into a clear container. Wait 30 minutes. Dinos will reform into mucus or snotty masses.
Trying to remove flagellates (protists) by filtering the water is not easy. They are generally 15 to 40 microns. Normally siphon it out of the tank and discard the water is best.
I tried all the remedies - High Ph, hydrogen peroxide, no water change (reduce silicate), 3 day blackout, freshwater, UV sterilizer, Dr Timm's, carbon dose, etc.
What I think worked! Better husbandry (Don't wait for a problem to begin to develop before doing maintenance). l siphoned out what I could from the tank/refugium and discarded the water. Started auto water changes. Did a 3 day lights out (I did not blackout the tank) and reduce the lighting schedule to 7 hours. Added a UV sterilizer and used Dr Tims Waste Away. THE SOLUTION IS TO KEEP THINGS IN BALANCED AND STABLE.

Offline Agame43

• Adult
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2019, 13:31:16 »
GAry,

Understand with the yard work, we are in the same mode down here. Thanks for sharing your information, it is a big help. I agree with your approach totally, Balance or keeping things n check and staying out front as you said. IF you read a lot about this topic it seems that bringing the balance back seems to put these guys back in their place.

Thanks Rick