2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: Breeding Mandarins  (Read 3916 times)

Offline micki

• Best mamaw Reefer!!!
  • My munchkins! :)
Breeding Mandarins
« on: June 17, 2009, 17:04:45 »
Some info on breeding mandarins.  I'm wondering if I don't have two males...  The one I thought was a female is starting to get a nice dorsal fin!  ::)  

http://en.microcosmaquariumexplorer.com/wiki/Breeding_the_Green_Mandarin

http://microcosmaqx.typepad.com/mat...-mug-diner.html

Offline jd

• Dr. Skimmer
Re: Breeding Mandarins
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2009, 18:13:50 »
That is sooo cool! Look how cute they are! :) I can't wait till I get a bigger tank...
Call me Mr. Rev. Dr.

Offline harleyrider

• Adult
  • If you have to ask, you cant afford it!
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2009, 18:28:03 »
Ive been told over the years that in order to keep them alive very long you must have a tank that that has been established at least a minimum of one year, but longer is prefered, i tried them the first time i started a saltwater tank about 10 yrs ago, they lasted about 3 weeks then started goin down hill , thats when everyone told me they was starving to death because my tank was to clean, all though all my other fish and corals did fine, wish i knew for sure id love to try um again!

Offline UDJustin

• Adult
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2009, 18:56:21 »
There was a big write up in Coral magazine about two months ago about breeding mandrins and teaching them to eat prepared foods.
If you didn't know I'm kind of a big deal...

Offline jeblin

• Adult
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2009, 22:30:16 »
The one I've got has been doing pretty good in my 40 long. I'm pretty sure its a female (not a real long upper fin). I put her in before the tank had been up a complete year, but I supplement by adding pods, mysis, etc to it. I think one of the main problems people run into with them is that they have other fish that out-compete the mandarin for live foods. If I had to do it again, I would probably try switching it over to frozen before putting it in the tank, but she's doing good with me supplementing. I've been contemplating getting another one, but I'm pretty well stocked for the size.

Offline micki

• Best mamaw Reefer!!!
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2009, 07:07:58 »
There was a big write up in Coral magazine about two months ago about breeding mandrins and teaching them to eat prepared foods.

I think the second link I posted talked about that.  I see the link isn't working.  I'll have to find it again and repost it. 

My 125 is 5 1/2 years old.  I had a 55 prior to that for a few years.  When I set up the 125, I transfered everything from teh 55 into the 125.  So basically my tank is around 7 years or so old.  Pods aren't a problem, although I may add some more just because I can get them locally now.  :)

Offline pontiac2002gtp

• Adult
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2009, 13:27:59 »
When I put a male in thinking it was a female they fought to the death the same day.  The female has a rounded fin and the male has the long dorsal ray but even if its broken off you can still tell because its not rounded but goes up in a straight line then rounds back.  I've had my male for a long time probly 7 years and he eats anything its funny seeing him suck on formula one pellets my female I've had 2 or 3 years and she is a little more picky she seems to prefer live pods.  They are in a 220 with 4 leopard wrasse a six line wrasse and a red scooter blenny that seem to eat up alot of pods so they must be able to hold there own on finding pods.

Offline jeblin

• Adult
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2009, 13:56:06 »
Are you trying to talk me into getting a male?  :laugh:

Micki : his two males fought until cough...cough...."there can be only one".... so hopefully you have one of each

Offline micki

• Best mamaw Reefer!!!
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2009, 07:15:55 »
They don't fight at all which is why I think they aren't both male.  However, they don't spend any time together either!  They each stay at opposite ends of the tank.  ::)    You would think with the clowns spawning every few weeks the mandarins would figure it out!   ;D

Offline TechGuy

• "Fraginator"
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2009, 20:27:57 »
Have you ever seen them extend their fins? Mine look identical, until they interact with each other. Both raising their fins, one clearly MUCH larger than the other. I think thats the key, and something thats not mentioned much. They all look like females, until that huge fin goes up. Thats the secret to sexing them, make sure the fin is raised. My Males is huge, atleast half his body length.

Mine don't spend alot of time with each other either. Today I noticed them swimming upward together, a sign of spawning from what I read. Afterwards, right back the normal. Picking at each other, and living on opposite sides of the tank. Like a bad married couple lol  ;)

Offline rayviv

• Here fishy, fishy.
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2009, 23:06:32 »
Well I HAD a nice pair and something got ahold of my male and took off his tail about a third of his total body length. Justin tried to save him for me but he was too injured. I think it was one of them killer shrimp you here me talk about.  :(
The mind is a wonderful servant but a dangerous master!

Offline micki

• Best mamaw Reefer!!!
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2009, 06:53:00 »
Sorry to hear that...  I think I would be catching me some shrimp...