2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: QT  (Read 3380 times)

Offline cyberwollf

• 2010 FragSwap Chairman
QT
« on: February 16, 2009, 21:40:51 »
Does anyone do all these treatments and use all these medicines during QT?

http://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=288805

How long should they stay in the QT?
75G Mixed Reef w/ 30G sump/refuge

Electrical Engineers do it on impulse, with faster rise times, with more power, and less resistance at higher frequencies, without shorts, until it Hertz

MechanicalEngineer

Re: QT
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2009, 22:16:13 »
I rarely buy fish, but when I do, I just keep them in my QT system for a month to make sure they eat and don't carry parasites.  I don't treat unless I see something.

Corals are another story.  I break the corals off the base, then dip them in Flatworm Exit and do a Lugol's dip.  Interceptor scares me, so I don't use it as a preventative (never used it as a cure either, but I have it on hand.)  I seem to have the "eagle eyes" for red bugs, so I just keep a close eye on the corals in my quarantine tank for about a month to six weeks.  If there's any amount of the base left on the coral, I super glue over it to prevent any algae from surviving. 

Offline cyberwollf

• 2010 FragSwap Chairman
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2009, 18:53:34 »
All the fish are doing great in QT.  What should i do to the leather i got?  The QT lights are not bright enough to keep it QT very long.

Electrical Engineers do it on impulse, with faster rise times, with more power, and less resistance at higher frequencies, without shorts, until it Hertz

Offline Joel

• Adult
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2009, 06:11:40 »
All the fish are doing great in QT.  What should i do to the leather i got?  The QT lights are not bright enough to keep it QT very long.

It is my belief & practice that fish and corals should not be quarantined in the same system. This is because of their differences such as light or meds that may be needed for fish would kill corals, etc. Risky and in some cases, impossible to have both in one tank and give them want they all need.

As per what does a leather need.  I would quarantine it to look for pests such as flat worms, hydroids, etc. Loogals sol. dips, etc to help kill hidden pests etc.

Offline cyberwollf

• 2010 FragSwap Chairman
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2009, 16:46:19 »
Had a casualty.  The sixline was dead when i came home today.  I have done several water changes but a detectable amount ammonia was still present. All other fish are fine.

After searching, i think he had some sort of parasite.  The first day he had long stringy poop, and his left eye.. it wasn't cloudy, but something weird about it.  Does someone have a list of the Meds we should all have on hand when getting new fish.  Any dips are anything that all new fish should go through?

I wanted to post this because I am new and I think there are alot of other new folks here who could benefit from this info (especially the BIITB fish that have not had a chance to hang out at the shop)

Offline Dstyles

• Got to keep on pushing!
  • Adult
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2009, 20:37:12 »
Question.  I am very interested in this post also.
One Day At A Time