2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: What's the best way to deal with red bugs?  (Read 4121 times)

Offline pontiac2002gtp

• Adult
What's the best way to deal with red bugs?
« on: April 08, 2009, 01:24:54 »
I got a few frags and a monti cap colony and during my inspection I found one of the frags covered in red bugs or they look more orange to me and then noticed there were a few on the other frags I have never dealt with red bugs before and am looking for some advice as to what to do now.  At least I didn't find any flatworms.  Should I tell the guy I got them from or just assume he knows he is very knowledgable about the hobby or at least should be.

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
Re: What's the best way to deal with red bugs?
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2009, 05:49:10 »
I would definitely contact the seller. It is possible they don't know they have them since they are so small.

Redbug treatment is quite easy with interceptor flavor tabs. Your approach may be different depending on if you plan on treating display tank vs in QT. Here is a good place to start some reading in addition to Reef Central

http://www.melevsreef.com/redbugs.html

Offline aquavista99

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2009, 09:14:46 »
Red bugs only host on acropora corals, not montipora corals. I QT every new SPS frag in a separate QT system to prevent pests from entering my main display tank.  You should assume any new frag you add to your system may be infected with pests. I would refer to the detailed information packet (about AEFWs, Monti Eating Nudis and Red  bugs) I gave you last week to help answer your questions on how to treat acropora corals infested with red bugs. The medication used for the treatment is called interceptor and it is only available by prescription from a Vet. The Dayton South Veterinary Clinic in Kettering is where I get my  refills for interceptor.  The best advice I can offer is to always QT every new SPS frag you add to your system.  You are more than welcome to stop by and see how I QT corals. I am in the process of treating all my new frags from the Cleveland swap with interceptor now.

I got a few frags and a monti cap colony and during my inspection I found one of the frags covered in red bugs or they look more orange to me and then noticed there were a few on the other frags I have never dealt with red bugs before and am looking for some advice as to what to do now.  At least I didn't find any flatworms.  Should I tell the guy I got them from or just assume he knows he is very knowledgable about the hobby or at least should be.

Offline UD Flyer

• Adult
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2009, 10:14:48 »
Just curious, but is this the same interceptor used for dogs?

Offline ohioreef

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Founding Member
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2009, 10:37:43 »

Yup

Offline pontiac2002gtp

• Adult
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2009, 10:41:46 »
I have spent hours inspecting the coral already in my system since finding the bugs on my frags and am 99% sure there aren't any in my dt and the frags never touched my dt's water.  So since they don't host monti's do I just need to keep that coral seperate for a while and then it will be clean or should I still treat it with interceptor?  I sent the seller a PM nicely informing them they have red bugs.

Offline pontiac2002gtp

• Adult
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2009, 11:08:34 »
I just talked Dayton south vet and they said I need to pay for an office visit to get interceptor I explained the situation and they said to dispense any medication you have to have a consultation.  Does anyone have any extra they would be willing to sell me?

Offline aquavista99

« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2009, 11:14:22 »

Yes, and it is now being used for cats as well. The alternative use of the drug is being applied to acropora corals infested with red bugs.

Offline aquavista99

« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2009, 11:32:16 »
I have spent hours inspecting the coral already in my system since finding the bugs on my frags and am 99% sure there aren't any in my dt and the frags never touched my dt's water.  So since they don't host monti's do I just need to keep that coral seperate for a while and then it will be clean or should I still treat it with interceptor?  I sent the seller a PM nicely informing them they have red bugs.

There are a few risks if you decide to treat the entire tank. Interceptor will kill off your pods, shrimp and crabs but your snails, fish and corals should be fine. If your acropora corals are not fully encrusted on your live rock, you could treat them in QT with interceptor. Keep in mind that  red bugs will not survive past 5 days without an acropora host, so you would want to treat them in QT for at least five days.  The Tegastes acroporanus (Red Bug) treatment article I gave you last week by Eric Borneman should be able to walk you through the entire process. 

Reefd Up

« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2009, 20:59:24 »
Just a thought...are you sure they're "red bugs"?  Have you had someone else look to make sure?  Any pictures?  Granted, you should still QT everything, regardless if you see anything...but I just think it's odd to have a Montipora "crawling" with red bugs.  I could expect a few if the host tank had them...but not to be covered with them. 

Offline pontiac2002gtp

• Adult
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2009, 21:17:23 »
The cap I haven't seen anything on and I have it seperate from the frags one of the frags was covered and the other two had a few I looked at them with a pocket microscope and they are definately red bugs.  I have done a few lugol's dips on them and it seems to have killed alot of the bugs.