2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: cutting a bounce  (Read 1484 times)

Offline CoralBeauties

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Adult
cutting a bounce
« on: March 01, 2020, 22:05:07 »
Looking for any advise on cutting a bounce?  I have one that has grown to 3 in and would like to cut it up to several smaller pieces to sell several of them.  Im assuming just using a razor and cut through the mouth?  Do you generally cut in half or quarters?  How do you attach the cuts?
thanks
Jeff

Offline Heinbaughb

• Adult
Re: cutting a bounce
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2020, 22:59:32 »
I’ve fragged a Sunkist bounce twice. Both times I cut them into quarters using a fresh utility knife blade. The first time was very successful and the second time was 50% successful due to 2 of them melting away afterwards. I believe the difference was the first time, the mushroom was attached to a frag plug and the second time it was not. If I was to do it again, I would make sure it was attached to something that would stay attached after the cut. It took a few weeks for the new mushrooms to turn round again. A mushroom box with loose ruble/plugs afterwards would help from keeping them from getting blown around.

Offline Steve

• Adult
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2020, 16:49:26 »
I would agree with leaving some rock/plug attached. I just fragged 2 and I had no issues. The OG I cut in half and then 1 of the halfs I cut into thirds with no issues, all doing great.

Offline CoralBeauties

• Adult
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2020, 21:06:02 »
I took a look at it tonight and it looks like it is splitting on it own. The foot looks like it is splitting.  Do these guys generally split in half or even more then that?  Im assuming once it splits its just a matter of cutting the disk it is on to divide?
thanks
Jeff