2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: Lazy's Fish Bowl  (Read 83047 times)

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
Re: Lazy's Fish Bowl
« Reply #375 on: September 07, 2013, 00:50:32 »
I am thinking it will be about 12" high x 24" front to back and 12 foot long. My fear is evaporation (humidity) and heating though. That is a lot of open water surface so not exactly sure if it will be that long.

Offline Midwest Express

• Adult
« Reply #376 on: September 07, 2013, 00:52:05 »
I am thinking it will be about 12" high x 24" front to back and 12 foot long. My fear is evaporation (humidity) and heating though. That is a lot of open water surface so not exactly sure if it will be that long.

I know it wouldn't look good but what about light diffuser with wrap on most?

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 4

"The more complex the mind, the greater the need for the simplicity of play."
Capt. James T. Kirk

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #377 on: November 11, 2013, 22:41:37 »
I have been wanting to reorganize the basement tanks for a while now. Finally getting around to doing a little planning. The design issues I am solving for are; Add more room for propagation, move skimmer to make it more accessible, add a chamber for macro algae and add filter socks with easy access for changing. Here is the initial blueprint. The water enters in from two socks on left and exits on right where 2" bulk head is. This is a top down view. Height will be 12"-14" and width about 21". Tank will be constructed from clear acrylic. If you have any feedback or design concerns please let me know. Thanks

Offline Twizted1

• Adult
« Reply #378 on: November 11, 2013, 22:55:55 »
Wow, that's going to be a nice setup. You worried about not having any bracing in that 6.6' span for corals?

Offline Wall_Tank

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #379 on: November 11, 2013, 23:13:06 »
Leave it to you to turn your sump into a propagation tank.   Only concern would be buildup of detritus in the middle section.   Make sure you don't fill it up too much with live stock.

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #380 on: November 12, 2013, 12:01:24 »
Good catch Joe I will need to add a center brace. Paul I hope to have everything off bottom about 4" in the coral section with pumps below the frag racks keeping everything in suspension. That is the idea but we will see how that works out. All the live rock will go in tank underneath this tank and will have heaters and pump to push water upstairs. I may go with Cbenner on build.... Going to check cost. If it is out if budget will have to do it myself.

Offline Boonjob

• Reefkeeping: Go Broke or Go Home
« Reply #381 on: November 12, 2013, 12:36:59 »
Big plans sir... Cant wait to see it in motion
God is great, Beer is good, and People are crazy...

Life is a beach, I'm just playing in the sand.

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/boonjob-s-reef-tank

Offline itsalifestyle

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Adult
« Reply #382 on: November 12, 2013, 15:00:02 »
Looking forward to following along

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #383 on: November 22, 2013, 17:32:43 »
Here is side view minus the Sock and Probe Holders. Looks like I need 1 10ft and one 4ft piece of acrylic

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #384 on: November 25, 2013, 19:49:39 »
Ordered the acrylic today. Went with 1/2". They said it would be in 8 - 10 days. Decided to try to build it myself. It was just more convenient to build on site rather then trying to transport and carry a 10' tank to the basement.

Offline Twizted1

• Adult
« Reply #385 on: November 26, 2013, 08:31:28 »
Ordered the acrylic today. Went with 1/2". They said it would be in 8 - 10 days. Decided to try to build it myself. It was just more convenient to build on site rather then trying to transport and carry a 10' tank to the basement.

That's sweet. Hope everything goes smooth. Yea trying to carry a 10' tank down them steps would be a bear.

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #386 on: December 14, 2013, 23:28:24 »
I got to start on the basement tank make over yesterday. More appropriately named; 12 days of christmas build. I went out on lunch hour yesterday and picked up two 4x8 sheets of 1/2' Cell cast acrylic from Meijer's plastic.  Once I got it home I set it aside for later.

After work I tore down the basement tanks. Paul let me borrow his 100g rubbermaid tub; 5 hours of back breaking work I had the rubbermaid plumbed in and corals, rock, heaters and apex probes moved over. Just barely fit. No room for Carbon, GFO Reactor or Skimmer. The system has had several issues since the change yesterday. Apex alarm went off; fortunately waking my wife up at about 6am this morning. Water was to cold. Also the PH dropped significantly which hasn't recovered. Prior to yesterday the 4 tank system was tweaked over last couple years to minimize PH swings. Now with two tanks everything is out of wack. Hopefully the corals don't have any issues. So far everything looks okay.... fingers crossed.

The tank is going in the same place as the previous two on top of this formica. It will be 10' long. The cost of a 10' acrylic was double 8' foot so I am going to have to seam it.  :th_3confused:

Made a few small changes in design. Here is the final plan. There are some details not shown but this is what the basic frame and sections will look like

Most of my day was planned for me but I got a couple hours to myself tonight to start cutting and sanding the acrylic. Hopefully tomorrow I can get the other tank and skimmer out from under the stand. Prep the stand and begin working on tank assembly.

Offline itsalifestyle

• Adult
« Reply #387 on: December 14, 2013, 23:42:04 »
Tons of work ic can't wait to see finished product need a hand let me known

Offline Bucknutz

• OH-IO
« Reply #388 on: December 15, 2013, 00:38:18 »
So jealous and will be following along for sure.

Offline Twizted1

• Adult
« Reply #389 on: December 15, 2013, 00:54:57 »
Man that's going to be nice. Thanks for sharing.

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #390 on: December 15, 2013, 17:59:09 »
Have one side left to install. Waiting on it to dry so I can turn it over. I hope to get that done tomorrow and Tuesday add bracing. It looks tall in the picture but it is only 13"

Offline Myreef55

• Adult
« Reply #391 on: December 15, 2013, 18:25:56 »
Wow came alone way since yesterday. Looks great Brian.

Offline Blazinreef

• Adult
« Reply #392 on: December 15, 2013, 19:06:53 »
Man that makes your basement look completely different.  Can't wait to see it in person.  If you need a hand let me know.
Firefighting:  How hard can it be?  You just put the wet stuff on the red stuff right?

57 Rimless SPS/LPS in the works

OLD:180g mixed reef, 60g sump, 2 30g frag tanks, 30g macro algae tank.  300g total system.

Offline joncat24

• Adult
« Reply #393 on: December 15, 2013, 19:48:42 »
That is Sweet!!
John

Offline itsalifestyle

• Adult
« Reply #394 on: December 15, 2013, 20:39:17 »
Looks great can't wait to see

Offline Twizted1

• Adult
« Reply #395 on: December 15, 2013, 22:21:55 »
Wow that is super nice. Is this going to add gallons to the over all system as well?

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #396 on: December 15, 2013, 22:29:36 »
Thanks everyone. Joe it will be same amount of total gallons.

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #397 on: December 16, 2013, 23:10:12 »
Man I suck at building acrylic tanks; glad I did it but what a pain. Clamp the seam to hard and the solvent won't pull in, don't clamp hard enough and it falls out of the seam, move to fast, get large bubbles. I wasn't to sure of my joints so I picked up 3/8 square acrylic rod and reinforced each external seam. It probably would have been a lot easy if I had bought 10' acrylic. Seaming the acrylic together is the cause of most of my issues.
I also forgot to cut the teeth in two of the dividers, guess I will be doing that assembled. Have that left to do, a couple more seams to reinforce, cut holes for the drain and make sock holders. I also broke the 40g breeder in the process of the tear down. So going to have to figure something with that.

Offline Twizted1

• Adult
« Reply #398 on: December 17, 2013, 12:01:51 »
Man I suck at building acrylic tanks; glad I did it but what a pain. Clamp the seam to hard and the solvent won't pull in, don't clamp hard enough and it falls out of the seam, move to fast, get large bubbles. I wasn't to sure of my joints so I picked up 3/8 square acrylic rod and reinforced each external seam. It probably would have been a lot easy if I had bought 10' acrylic. Seaming the acrylic together is the cause of most of my issues.
I also forgot to cut the teeth in two of the dividers, guess I will be doing that assembled. Have that left to do, a couple more seams to reinforce, cut holes for the drain and make sock holders. I also broke the 40g breeder in the process of the tear down. So going to have to figure something with that.

It will all be worth it in the end.

Offline itsalifestyle

• Adult
« Reply #399 on: December 17, 2013, 12:36:39 »
I'm sure most of us would have done worse job once water is in and amazing corals collection is in you will never notice flaws