2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: What is this stuff?  (Read 3197 times)

lagalaxy8

What is this stuff?
« on: December 14, 2012, 12:51:40 »
I've had my tank for over 4 years now and have never had anything like this before. Really had one outbreak ever and it was the nasty red stuff. Only thing that has changed in the last few months is I went from compact flo. lighting to led. Besides that nothing new or different.

What is this stuff and how do i get rid of it?  It's taken over my tank & it did it quick.

Offline micki

• Best mamaw Reefer!!!
  • My munchkins! :)
Re: What is this stuff?
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2012, 18:09:48 »
Looks like diatoms to me...

Offline chromiumlux

« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2012, 00:03:42 »
I will have to say dinoflagellates.
Chromiumlux

Offline Neogenesis

« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2012, 00:10:50 »
Last time I had that stuff in my tank it was linked to my water quality, and in my case it was my RO/DI system putting out dirty water.  Once I got it repaired it went away in a matter of weeks.  If you've had it as long as you say, there has to be something triggering it.  My best guess is extra nutrients in your system that are not being removed.

Offline buckeyereefer

• Adult
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2012, 17:11:34 »
did you ever get a skimmer back online ? are you still getting water from Jack's ? if you are have you tested water for TDS ?

Offline Sonnyred

• Adult
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2012, 21:16:40 »
I had the same outbreak a couple weeks ago. My phosphate was high. Fix your phosphate level and it will fix that problem

lagalaxy8

« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2012, 10:51:16 »
Last time I had that stuff in my tank it was linked to my water quality, and in my case it was my RO/DI system putting out dirty water.  Once I got it repaired it went away in a matter of weeks.  If you've had it as long as you say, there has to be something triggering it.  My best guess is extra nutrients in your system that are not being removed.

This was my guess, that it was a RO/Water issue. i get it from a local fish store, have for years without issue, but might have just now hit bad luck with it. Once it started i did another water change quick and i might have just added fuel to the fire, going to get a water change in this weekend and try to scrape some of it out of the tank. did notice a few blue legs where trying to clean it up the other day.

lagalaxy8

« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2012, 10:53:49 »
did you ever get a skimmer back online ? are you still getting water from Jack's ? if you are have you tested water for TDS ?

Yes skimmer is back online, but still not sure it's doing it's job.
Yes still water from jacks.
No to testing the TDS.

lagalaxy8

« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2012, 10:54:21 »
I had the same outbreak a couple weeks ago. My phosphate was high. Fix your phosphate level and it will fix that problem

How did you fix your phosphate level?

Offline buckeyereefer

• Adult
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2012, 11:26:39 »
same skimmer ? do you have a handheld TDS meter ? i am pretty sure i have 2. let me check.

how often are you doing water change ?

your tank is fairly old so wouldn't think it is leaching from rock. would have had problem by now.

lagalaxy8

« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2012, 11:53:18 »
same skimmer ? do you have a handheld TDS meter ? i am pretty sure i have 2. let me check.

how often are you doing water change ?

your tank is fairly old so wouldn't think it is leaching from rock. would have had problem by now.

Yes same skimmer. It's never produced much foam till within the last few months. Something has made it do that but now there really isn't anything to drain, it just stays foam. Hell one week it was coming out the vent hole on the top but there was nothing to clean out.

Once a month has been working for over 2 years now, so was going well so never changed.

It started around the first of Nov. I was gone for 5 days and came back and it had started, but i can't remember if I had just did a water change before i left. I'm thinking I did. I keep a reminder in my phone but changed it because i've done a few since this outbreak. So guessing there was a water issue at jacks and i just kept adding to it.

Offline buckeyereefer

• Adult
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2012, 13:47:20 »
 weekly water changes for a while maybe even bi weekly. could be water from jack's. you get the mixed water right ?  don't think TDS meter will work after salt has been added. i have in line meters on my RO/DI filter. if you wanted to get sraight water from them. you could use one of my handheld TDS meters to check. you might have to get an RO/DI  system.   

lagalaxy8

« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2012, 13:52:15 »
weekly water changes for a while maybe even bi weekly. could be water from jack's. you get the mixed water right ?  don't think TDS meter will work after salt has been added. i have in line meters on my RO/DI filter. if you wanted to get sraight water from them. you could use one of my handheld TDS meters to check. you might have to get an RO/DI  system.   

I don't buy mixed anymore. last year when they talked about ditching their saltwater tanks i started mixing my own. guess they sell it still, i just buy the r/o water. I was planning on doing a change this weekend. and again & again till this crap goes away. Just have been busy last 2 weekends.

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2012, 21:09:17 »
Looks like Dinoflagellates to me as well. If it is Hydrogen Peroxide will clear it up. 1ml h202 per 10gallon per day for a couple weeks should do the job.

lagalaxy8

« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2012, 11:04:46 »
Looks like Dinoflagellates to me as well. If it is Hydrogen Peroxide will clear it up. 1ml h202 per 10gallon per day for a couple weeks should do the job.

great, thanks! I will start it tonight!!!

Offline Viggen

« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2012, 12:47:13 »
Can you keep the lights off for a week or so.....
300g tub o fish

Offline Sonnyred

• Adult
« Reply #16 on: December 19, 2012, 13:34:58 »
Oh at jacks they sell this green piece of phosphate reducer. Place in any filter or sump. It works for me. Pretty cheap too. Only $8.99

lagalaxy8

« Reply #17 on: December 26, 2012, 21:18:34 »
The H202 trick is working. Did another water change today also, but thanks a bunch on the H202 trick it has saved me from ditching this tank. i just don't have a lot of time anymore for it and wasn't looking for a 6 month major battle.

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #18 on: December 26, 2012, 22:20:58 »
Glad it worked for you. Thanks for letting us know.