2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: Small Skimmer Ideas  (Read 1859 times)

Offline AJ

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Adult
  • A.J.
Small Skimmer Ideas
« on: November 24, 2015, 10:38:22 »
I am in process of building a 40 Breeder (with a 20 Long Sump) frag tank.  I am searching for a skimmer that will not be overpowered for that small water volume (around 50 gallons).  The only ones that I can find are rated for 75+ gallons.  Any ideas??

Offline jfishwild

• Adult
Re: Small Skimmer Ideas
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2015, 11:23:14 »
We don't know how strong we are until being strong is the only choice we have.

Offline Wall_Tank

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2015, 12:24:11 »
The same setup that I have.  I run a Vertex Omega 130.

The ratings are way over inflated.  If you are going to put SPS in the system, then I would get a skimmer rated for at least 150% of the volume.

Offline Rob

• Adult
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2015, 12:06:48 »
My personal feelings...you can not overskim.  If something is stated to skim 75 gallons, I think that would be perfect for a 40 gallon tanks.  Manufacturers are notorious for overstating capacity.  Skimmers should also be rated based on a bio-load too.  Most systems will vary.
Rob

Offline Rob

• Adult
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2015, 12:07:24 »
The ratings are way over inflated.  If you are going to put SPS in the system, then I would get a skimmer rated for at least 150% of the volume.

Agreed!
Rob

Offline joelbegt

• Adult
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2015, 20:27:24 »
The Reef Octopus BH50 sounds about correct at 50gallon rated light load 30 gallon heavy.  I do believe you can over skim with a light load on a tank while riding an ULNS line.  I know of at least one very successful SPS setup that has backed down the skimmer to help with SPS health. 

http://www.coralvue.com/reef-octopus-bh-50-protein-skimmer

Offline buckeyereefer

• Adult
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2015, 06:13:56 »
Bubble Magus curve 5 is a popular skimmer for that water volume on several nano forums. I am running a Vortex 130 on same setup as you. I like the Vortex but after reading posts of the BM curve. I acquired one to try but never got it running. Seems to be built real nice though.   Decided to shut everything down for awhile.