2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: Thinking of Going MH...NEED HELP!!!  (Read 4493 times)

MechanicalEngineer

Thinking of Going MH...NEED HELP!!!
« on: December 13, 2007, 19:31:27 »
Well, it's time for the 6-month change-a-roo of the PC lightbulbs...and I got to thinking...I really hate my bulbs...so why spend at least $100 on new stupid lights??

I know there are 20 billion threads out in the world on lighting.  However, I want local opinions...and local help on this.  Plus, I can read all day and not learn a thing if it isn't in plain English. 

I have a 40g long tank.  The tank is about 18" deep with a 4-5" dsb.  I would LIKE to have an SPS dominated tank, but right now I am keeping a mixed reef. 

I want bulbs (whether metal halide or supplemental actinics) that will really make the corals *pop*. 

I'd like to do this on the more cheap side since I'm a poor college student.   ;D  I don't have any experience in wiring, so help or directions are good. 

So, my question is, what sort of metal halides should I go with?  What wattage, Kelvin, brand, double ended or whatever, etc.  Should I supplement with actinics?  If so, should I go with VHO, T-5's? 

I plan to keep this as my main tank for at least another 3 years until we move.  I'd like this to not be something I want to upgrade in 6 months.

.........and....GO!

Thanks,
Nikki

Offline cbell

• Juvenile
Re: Thinking of Going MH...NEED HELP!!!
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2007, 20:01:55 »
i like 250watt mh on a tank 18 inches deep. i really like the look of the hamilton 14k bulbs. the radium bulbs look really good too, but i think the par is pretty low on them.

Offline Amstar

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Adult
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2007, 20:12:12 »
my tank is 18 inches deep and I have 175 watt hamilton 14k bulbs on it.  working on getting my actinics back up. 

Offline REDPYRO

• Hey Everybody!
  • Who did what now?
    • MrLevek Productions
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2007, 20:13:38 »
XM 20,000k

Offline micki

• Best mamaw Reefer!!!
  • My munchkins! :)
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2007, 20:41:12 »
Hands down Hamilton 14K!  I had 250 watt XM 20K prior to that and they were "ok".  I went to Hamilton 14K and the coral changed color from the dull brown to lighter more colorful colors and seemed to come to life!   

slandis3

« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2007, 20:44:51 »
I have been real happy with my blueline 14k with blueline ballast.

Offline rmstevensiii

• Adult
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2007, 21:34:08 »
The 250's would be sweet, but don't forget a plan for dealing with heat.  On my 75 gal, I run 2 x 10K 175 MH and 2 x 110 VHO atinics.  In the summers, I run my hood fan at full speed for the entire light cycle + a 6" fan over the sump and some days, I struggle to keep the tank temp below 82. 

Just my .02,

Mitch
Dayton - 45459

Offline micki

• Best mamaw Reefer!!!
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2007, 06:16:47 »
Thats a good point Mitch! 

MechanicalEngineer

« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2007, 10:23:06 »
Right now, with a 300W heater, I struggle to keep my tank above 76 degrees.  In the summer, it stayed right at 78.  I think with a few fans, I should be ok. 

I'll definitely be going with two MH kits.  Any good places to get them cheap?

Offline saltybuckeye

• Adult
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2007, 10:29:48 »
The halides will work great for the growth and main color of the tank,but if you are looking to get pop out of the coral color I would use some supplemental lighting like vho or pc.Guess it all depends on your eye but I like the coral to have a neon glow to them.

Offline micki

• Best mamaw Reefer!!!
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2007, 10:30:25 »
Hello lights has wonderful customer service and will price match. I get all of my lighting from them and almost always have a price match.  

Offline micki

• Best mamaw Reefer!!!
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2007, 10:31:43 »
Travis what is that site you always tell me to go for price matching?

Offline Viggen

« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2007, 12:02:36 »
I think the reflectors are more important then the power/wattage of the bulbs.  I use luminarc's on my 260g & if I would of had these reflectors on the 175w MH's I would of stuck with them.  My tank is a 260g FO & the 250's have more then enough lighting for my tank.  Prior to the luminarc's I used normal spider reflectors & the difference is HUGE!!! 

I know nothing about what size you should go with but be sure to consider luminarc's which are $120-150 for a single reflector.   

like others stated you will more then likely need a chiller...... 
300g tub o fish

Offline micki

• Best mamaw Reefer!!!
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2007, 12:07:28 »
like others stated you will more then likely need a chiller...... 

I think she is having problems keeping her temp up. I doub't she will need a chiller. ;)

Offline saltybuckeye

• Adult
« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2007, 12:41:40 »
The heat coming off of any size mh is a little different than a pc.If you don't want to run a chiller better get extra fans.

Offline micki

• Best mamaw Reefer!!!
« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2007, 12:46:15 »
I have fans in my hood that come on when the MH come on and go off when the MH go off. 

Either way, she isn't near over heating now so she should be fine when they are up and running. 

Offline saltybuckeye

• Adult
« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2007, 12:53:33 »
It depends alot on your water volume.200 gal. will heat up alot slower than 40 gallons.

Offline micki

• Best mamaw Reefer!!!
« Reply #17 on: December 14, 2007, 12:55:11 »
yes it will, but I still doub't she would need a chiller.  Fans maybe

Offline ohioreef

• Founding Member
« Reply #18 on: December 14, 2007, 13:44:26 »
Micki,

You need to take into account that your sump is in the basement, which I'm sure helps a lot with keeping the temperature down.

Offline rmstevensiii

• Adult
« Reply #19 on: December 14, 2007, 13:45:53 »
Having trouble keeping your temp up on a 40 gal with a 300 watt heater?   ???

I'm not sure that I follow.  My 350 watt heater is turned down nearly all the way, but was more than enough to keep my temp solid with PC's.  Is the heater working properly?
Dayton - 45459

Offline rmstevensiii

• Adult
« Reply #20 on: December 14, 2007, 13:49:02 »
If you choose to go with 175's, I think you can get by with fans, esp if you hang your lights (so that you can adjust them up/down as necessary).  I think that the 250's will create too much heat in a 40 unless you have a chiller.

Just my .02...

M
Dayton - 45459

MechanicalEngineer

« Reply #21 on: December 14, 2007, 13:54:38 »
No, my heater isn't turned up all the way, and it isn't malfunctioning.  It's set at 76, and there it stays.  If the heater wasn't on, my tank would drop into the 60's easily.  We keep our house pretty cool. 

I'm not going to run any more than 2-175W a good bit off of the tank.  I doubt heat will be an issue with some fans on the MH and in the sump.  Worst case scenario, a chiller...but that's not the point of this thread.

The point of this thread is what type of MH to go with (magnetic, electric, whatever), pulse or probe, etc.  Any suggestions?

Offline rmstevensiii

• Adult
« Reply #22 on: December 14, 2007, 13:57:06 »
I have a dual 175 magnetic ballast and I can definitely recommend going electric!  Mine works great, but the ballast box is large, gets pretty warm, and costs more to operate than the electric equivalent.  I'll be replacing this one at some point in the near future.

:)
Dayton - 45459

Offline micki

• Best mamaw Reefer!!!
« Reply #23 on: December 14, 2007, 13:58:20 »
I didn't necessarily mean go wtih 250.  I was only saying what mine are.  For your size tank 175 would be fine.  I still think you could get by without a chiller by using fans.  

My only MH experience is with electric ballast and I'm happy with that. Maybe some others will chime in aobut different ballasts.  

Offline Viggen

« Reply #24 on: December 14, 2007, 14:20:20 »
Definitely go with electronic ballasts.  The other type throws out a ton of heat & many claim are not as efficient plus the bulbs last longer with electronic ballasts!

electronic & luminarcs & you will be set :)
300g tub o fish