2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: Aqua Ray LED's  (Read 2931 times)

Offline harleyrider

• Adult
  • If you have to ask, you cant afford it!
Aqua Ray LED's
« on: April 01, 2010, 21:58:55 »
Is there anyone here using ONLY Aqua Ray leds on their tanks, been doing some reading on them and i see some people are saying you can use those instead of halides, If anyone is, id love to be able to check yours out before i go buy, lmk Thanks

Offline ~reefchik~

• Adult
    • Real Job:  HunnyBuns Nursery & Reborn Supply
Re: Aqua Ray LED's
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2010, 22:07:11 »
I'm using one Marine Blue and one Marine White.  I also now have a 4x54w T-5 but if you like, I could turn off the T-5s and shoot you a photo.  Would that help?  You're also welcome to come by for a visit. 

Personally, just judging from looks alone, I don't think these two are able to make up for MH.  Well, anything over a 150 anyway.  Otherwise I wouldn't be pairing mine with a T-5 fixture!  However, on my 90, I'm thinking it's possible that a set of 4 strips could stand alone.  You'd really want to check the PAR I think. 
-Steph
--------------
What do you call an old reefer with no tank? 
:-(
-----------------------------

Offline harleyrider

• Adult
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2010, 22:14:21 »
I'm using one Marine Blue and one Marine White.  I also now have a 4x54w T-5 but if you like, I could turn off the T-5s and shoot you a photo.  Would that help?  You're also welcome to come by for a visit. 

Personally, just judging from looks alone, I don't think these two are able to make up for MH.  Well, anything over a 150 anyway.  Otherwise I wouldn't be pairing mine with a T-5 fixture!  However, on my 90, I'm thinking it's possible that a set of 4 strips could stand alone.  You'd really want to check the PAR I think. 
Ive seen pics and videos of them would love to see them in person, from what im reading on their site, they say in coral growth alone that a 12 watt strip of them surpasses by at least 33% more than a 175 watt M Halide, if this is true id love to check them out, im needing to buy new lights soon and are really getting interested in the aqua rays leds

Offline harleyrider

• Adult
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2010, 22:32:30 »

• 20,000 LUX along with the Highest PAR output available in LED lights (including the more expensive Solaris) or any other lighting type. Delivers high LUX and PAR values which means it is suitable for all marine set ups including reef tanks incorporating LPS and SPS hard corals.
Studies/Test in plant growth has shown a 12 Watt Full spectrum/daylight LED Surpassing a similar 175 Watt Full spectrum Metal Halide!! (See “Aquarium Lighting Facts & Information”)

Offline HUNGER

« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2010, 22:42:23 »
• 20,000 LUX along with the Highest PAR output available in LED lights (including the more expensive Solaris) or any other lighting type. Delivers high LUX and PAR values which means it is suitable for all marine set ups including reef tanks incorporating LPS and SPS hard corals.
Studies/Test in plant growth has shown a 12 Watt Full spectrum/daylight LED Surpassing a similar 175 Watt Full spectrum Metal Halide!! (See “Aquarium Lighting Facts & Information”)

wow
but thats in studys  but what about real life?
SIZE DOES MATTER

Offline harleyrider

• Adult
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2010, 22:45:42 »
wow
but thats in studys  but what about real life?

Well thats what the Company that makes them is saying about their product, straight from their web site. I would think that it would have to be somewhat true to addvertise it, i guess..

Offline chromiumlux

« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2010, 22:59:53 »
41,500 lux and climbing according to a friend of mine who has the hangin over his reef right now. aint no truth in advertising my friend. The proof is in the pudding.
Chromiumlux

Offline UD Flyer

• Adult
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2010, 23:00:31 »
ALso keep in mind they're trying to sell a product and can manipulate how their LED's are better than a 175w MH. For example they could raise the 175MH 2 ft above the tank and the led an inch above the water. This may be a far fetched example but keep in mind they will make theirs sound better.

Offline chromiumlux

« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2010, 23:03:24 »
We are waiting on lenses to come in. This should really punch a hole in the universe
Chromiumlux

Offline chromiumlux

« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2010, 23:06:21 »
Yeah baby.....that's the future of aquarium lighting at hand
Chromiumlux

Offline UD Flyer

• Adult
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2010, 23:14:35 »
Yea, it is the future but when will the prices come down? Im contemplating a DIY LED light but dont want to spend the money if in the next year the price finally come down to being reasonable.

Offline reefman

• Adult
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2010, 23:29:07 »
They cost about the same as a mh system.

Offline ~reefchik~

• Adult
    • Real Job:  HunnyBuns Nursery & Reborn Supply
« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2010, 23:32:00 »
They cost about the same as a mh system.
  Initial equipment cost, yes.  Upkeep, no.  Maintenance costs, electricity consumption and replacement costs are exponentially lower than MH.  And they also are far less hot.  I can pick my LED bars up with my bare hands to move them if needed. 
-Steph
--------------
What do you call an old reefer with no tank? 
:-(
-----------------------------

Offline hamiltro

• Juvenile
« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2010, 23:34:39 »
well how about you build your diy now so next year i can build mine for a good price :laugh:
55 gal working on upgrading to 120 with a 55 Sump(unless I find a deal on a bigger tank)

Offline UD Flyer

• Adult
« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2010, 23:40:41 »
Heck at this rate we might be building them together next year. Ive been at my new job for about 5 weeks and they're already talking layoffs, its funny how cities always cut public safety first when cuts are needed. 

Offline reefman

• Adult
« Reply #17 on: April 01, 2010, 23:43:29 »
well how about you build your diy now so next year i can build mine for a good price :laugh:

Nice well I am sure they will have better LEDs in the future but the price is not bad now.

Offline reefman

• Adult
« Reply #18 on: April 01, 2010, 23:46:23 »
I may build one and I will save electric while you wait a year to build one!

Offline HUNGER

« Reply #19 on: April 02, 2010, 08:18:19 »
41,500 lux and climbing according to a friend of mine who has the hangin over his reef right now. aint no truth in advertising my friend. The proof is in the pudding.
nice  i think most of use are iffy  because no one knows any one running a full system of leds
SIZE DOES MATTER

Offline harleyrider

• Adult
« Reply #20 on: April 02, 2010, 08:25:59 »
ALso keep in mind they're trying to sell a product and can manipulate how their LED's are better than a 175w MH. For example they could raise the 175MH 2 ft above the tank and the led an inch above the water. This may be a far fetched example but keep in mind they will make theirs sound better.
• Highest useable and visible output of light per energy consumed. Over 80 lumens per watt. Tests have shown that a 12w AquaBeam produces up to 33% more illumination at 20 inches

Offline harleyrider

• Adult
« Reply #21 on: April 02, 2010, 08:28:29 »
nice  i think most of use are iffy  because no one knows any one running a full system of leds

I spend quite a bit of time on another site and there are quite a few people running full led lighting, but most are up in pa. No one here seems to have them except for reefchick, and hers isnt a full set.

Offline reefman

• Adult
« Reply #22 on: April 02, 2010, 10:01:12 »
Chomiumlux said he knows a guy running them, maybe he can tell us who?

Offline Coral Squad

• Adult
« Reply #23 on: April 02, 2010, 10:27:27 »
All very interesting  here is some info i found on diy led build of a guy in dayton  when hes done im going to get a hold of him to check out the color in person   http://saltgeek.com/projects/ledlighting.htm

Offline reefman

• Adult
« Reply #24 on: April 02, 2010, 10:34:33 »
All very interesting  here is some info i found on diy led build of a guy in dayton  when hes done im going to get a hold of him to check out the color in person   http://saltgeek.com/projects/ledlighting.htm

I saw that one in the chat last night, Chromiumlux posted me a message about it. He said he saw it and it was nice. I am going to see if I can see it.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2010, 10:37:24 by reefman »