2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: Auto water change  (Read 1693 times)

Offline cbenner

• Juvenile
Auto water change
« on: November 05, 2013, 07:21:43 »
Hi guys,

I've been collecting gear for this system over the last couple of months and I was finally able to put it together this weekend.

I have a 90 gallon deep blue pro tank in my dinning room that has a 30 long connected to the same system.

With the sump I'm running a total volume of around 140 to 150 gallons.

Being that my system is sps and clams I've always been very religious about doing a 15 gallon water change every Sunday evening.

Over the last couple of months my work has me so busy I let the tank slide a little. I ended up having an Alk dip and killed a few prize pieces. 😣

So to remedy this I built a auto water change system using two ace roto mold 16 gallon tanks a mag drive 2 pump and two BRS 50 ml a minute dosing pumps.

Here is a picture of the setup. Since I'm in a 1850's house everything is located in my dinning room/fish room to my wife's un-liking.

The tank on the left is RO/DI water with a float switch installed. This supplies my top off water and the fresh water for mixing.

The tank on the right is salt water.

It is entirely controlled with the Apex controller.

I'm running a OSC program that are exactly the same on both pumps. They turn on every 20 minute for about 3 minute.
I am now changing 2 gallons of water per day for 8 days. On the 9th day I switch the valves and fill the saltwater tank and add salt. Close the fresh water valve and let it mix for that entire day.
The next morning the water changing continues.

Doing it this way I don't need to have a heater in the salt water tank do to only adding 150ml every twenty minutes and

I run the mag 2 for the 12 hours of mixing then for the rest of the week the apex turns the mag 2 on for 3 minutes just before every 20 minute interval of water changing.

I've been running this for 3 weeks now along with dosing 2 part and my parameters are staying spot on. It took the work out of water changes and freed up my time.

Happy Reefing

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
Re: Auto water change
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2013, 17:11:29 »
Very nicely done. looks like some good diy innovation happening in the benner house

Offline BuckeyeFan

• Adult
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2013, 19:07:00 »
Very nice , this is what I wanna do next .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline cbenner

• Juvenile
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2013, 10:17:21 »
Very nice , this is what I wanna do next .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boy it sure has made water changes much easier!

Offline Twizted1

• Adult
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2013, 20:27:24 »
Thanks for sharing. Looks good!

Offline chromiumlux

« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2013, 20:43:02 »
Very nice!
Chromiumlux

Offline Wall_Tank

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2013, 20:44:18 »
Auto water change is great.   I have been using a litermeter 3 for years.   I change about 3-5 liters per day.

Offline Wall_Tank

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2013, 10:39:54 »
Where did you buy those tanks?

Offline cbenner

• Juvenile
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2013, 02:58:29 »
Paul,
Sorry I haven't responded. I've been super busy and haven't logged in.
You can get any ace roto molded tank from the Rural King. Buy online and anything over 99$ is free shipping.

Ace Roto molded is a division of Denhartog enterprises.

These or any of the ace roto mold tanks take about 8 weeks to get if one of the stores do not carry it