2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: Saltwater Refractometer  (Read 1597 times)

Offline smoothie7

• Fry
Saltwater Refractometer
« on: May 01, 2014, 14:44:49 »
I was looking at the Milwaukee Seawater Digital Refractometer and it looks really nice. I am just getting into saltwater aquariums and have a 90 gallon and 29 gallon take. How often would I be using this tool. Wandering if I can justify spending the money.

Offline kellyj

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Adult
Re: Saltwater Refractometer
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2014, 15:11:26 »
Smoothie,
When I started out a few months ago, I bought a hydrometer ($10-15).  I couldn't get an accurate enough reading with it so I looked into a refractometer.  I couldn't justify the cost of the digital, (over twice the price) so I bought the analog/manual one.  It works great and I am happy with my decision to not get the digital one.  I use it every few days and every water change.  Get a refractometer, you will be pleased.
Kelly

Offline rrivera@cinci.rr.com

• Fry
Thanks for your time,

Mark

Offline Wall_Tank

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2014, 12:25:40 »
The club has that Milwaukee meter for loan if you are a premium member....   Definitely not required, but it easy to use.    For the most part a hand held refractometers are fine.

Do be sure that you calibrate with pure water, or better yet with calibration fluid   http://premiumaquatics.com/aquatic-supplies/RH-OV20010.html

Offline andys1982

• Adult
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2014, 12:44:01 »
I'm a pretty big advocate of hydrometers.  Yes, they are not as accurate, but accuracy is not that big of deal with salinity.  Consistency is more of an issue.  There's a pretty big range of acceptable salinity readings.  It is not critical that you are exactly at 1.026.  It is more critical that the value is not constantly going up and down.  I read my salinity at 1.026 with a hydrometer.  If the actual salinity is 1.023, it is no issue as long as my creatures appear healthy and I keep my readings at 1.026 on the hydrometer.  This is just my opinion.  Once upon a time cheap refractometers were not available.  Since they have became available, I still haven't bothered making the upgrade.  My deep six hydrometer has yet to fail me.

Offline tswanso3

• Fry
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2014, 12:49:49 »
Get the refractometer, you'll love it... keep my tanks at 1.025

Offline Viggen

« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2014, 14:36:14 »
I purchased the Milwaukee digital refractometer and rarely use it.... I think I have used it 2 times actually? 

Willing to sell it if interested

I use the manual refractometer due to being easier.  Like stated above what's important is consistency and not the actual salinity that is unless you are doing a hypo treatment with sick fish, then and only then it needs to be exact. 

Otherwise a hydrometer or manual refractometer is all that's needed..... But like I mentioned I do have the digital Milwaukee unit I could sell :)
300g tub o fish

Offline merlin3

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Adult
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2014, 22:24:40 »
How much?

Offline Viggen

« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2014, 22:35:11 »
Open to offers... Didn't think of selling It until I posted in this thread

I don't even remember what I paid for it