2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: Brightwell NeoMarine salt  (Read 7787 times)

Offline pontiac2002gtp

• Adult
Re: Brightwell NeoMarine salt
« Reply #25 on: September 09, 2009, 11:22:07 »
if I didn't dose my corals would never make it I don't care what kind of salt I use by the way I use IO reef crystals and have for years with no ill effects it mixes to a high alk and decent calcium only thing lacking is a lil mag.  Even with doing a 10% water change weekly it hardly effects what I have to dose which is about 600ml daily of alk and 900ml calcium I dump a gallon of mag in at every water change and my levels stay good.  I would like to try out the brightwell salt if we can get a good price on it.

Offline rayviv

• Here fishy, fishy.
« Reply #26 on: September 09, 2009, 12:09:17 »
600ml of ALK daily? Now what exactly is alk?
The mind is a wonderful servant but a dangerous master!

Offline UDJustin

• Adult
« Reply #27 on: September 09, 2009, 12:10:02 »
alkalinity
If you didn't know I'm kind of a big deal...

Offline rayviv

• Here fishy, fishy.
« Reply #28 on: September 09, 2009, 12:20:30 »
Thats what I thought. (Iama senior u no)  :o
Isnt that a lot for daily dose?

Offline Joel

• Adult
« Reply #29 on: September 09, 2009, 12:26:06 »
Alk = alkalinity.

Alk is the measure of the carbonates present in your water. The primary purpose of the carbonates is to neutralize acids as they develop in your water. These acids are mostly a bi product of the natural metabolic processes taking place in the aquarium and are a constant. The trend is for your carbonates to be depleted as they neutralize acids in your water, accordingly your alk will drop and if not kept in check, your PH will drop as well. Through regular testing a person can determine approximately how much their alk drops daily and how much of a alk increaser needs to be added to counter the depletion. Daily or at least several time per week adjustments are preferable to infrequent supplementation.

This is very much a "nut shell" explaination but it give the basic idea.

On a side note, ALk and ph are not one and the same as often believed. Just because a person has a desirable ph does not mean they have a desirable Alk, they are independant of one another..

Offline Joel

• Adult
« Reply #30 on: September 09, 2009, 12:36:49 »
Whoops, sorry, didn't see Justin had answered the ALK question.

Ray; Supplement addition is very much dependent on how large the demand is. For example, a tank with a large number of organisms will typically need more supplementation to overcome their tax on the system versus a lightly stocked system.

Another example, if you had two 100 gallon aquariums, one with a lot of stoney corals and coraline algae, the other with mostly softies and polyps, although they are both in theory approximately 100 gallons, the supplementation on the stoney & coraline tank is likely to be many times higher than the softy & polyp tank due to the greater consumption rate of carbonates & calcium of the stoney corals & Coraline algae. Another point to make here is that gallons of water is not what determines the need or amount of supplementation, it's how many organisms are consuming the supplement & how fast.

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #31 on: September 09, 2009, 12:39:41 »

On a side note, ALk and ph are not one and the same as often believed. Just because a person has a desirable ph does not mean they have a desirable Alk, they are independant of one another..

and in my case a high alk level did not mean a desirable PH although probrably less common.
Justin sorry about destroying your thread. Although it has been an exiciting debate.

Offline rayviv

• Here fishy, fishy.
« Reply #32 on: September 09, 2009, 13:29:16 »
Thank you Joel, and LazyLiving; I was able to get some comprehension from that. Like the first crack of Light, so to say. Appreciate the info. :o

Offline TechGuy

• "Fraginator"
« Reply #33 on: September 09, 2009, 13:39:29 »

Explain to me (and every one else) how someone with so little experience in this hobby is such an authority on how it should be done.

Joel

Edited by Reef'd_Up - NO SARCASM!!!  Keep the forum friendly.

Seriously. What does it take to do some research? Lets say, not on a forum? But read what REAL experts have to say about something?

I'm sorry you don't like my simple aproach. Clearly I must be doing something right, everything in my tank is thriving. I'll just sit back, be quiet, and let you sell dosing systems and supplies. Hows that?  :)

And I am not being sarcastic either. Dosing isn't for everyone.

Ray, what would happen if you started dosing all this?
« Last Edit: September 10, 2009, 18:22:30 by Reef'd Up »

Offline rayviv

• Here fishy, fishy.
« Reply #34 on: September 09, 2009, 14:28:10 »
"Ray, what would happen if you started dosing all this?"

Well, at this point in my reefkeeping exprerience I do not know what would happen; I also do not know what will happen if I DON'T.

With me its got to do with the bicycle riding before the Motorcycle ride. ;D
« Last Edit: September 10, 2009, 18:22:48 by Reef'd Up »

slandis3

« Reply #35 on: September 09, 2009, 15:06:32 »
And I am not being sarcastic either. Dosing isn't for everyone.

Ray, what would happen if you started dosing all this crap?

Your right dosing isn't for everyone. But for some it’s a necessity. So before you go off and say that people that dose will have a crash maybe you should sit back and be quite. There are a lot of us that have allot more experience than you.  

Edited by Reef'd_Up - No personal attacks

So far anyone that’s has disagreed with you, you go out of your way to try and make your answer the only correct answer. You wont reason with anyone unless the agree with you.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2009, 18:21:51 by Reef'd Up »

Offline UDJustin

• Adult
« Reply #36 on: September 09, 2009, 18:23:43 »
Your system obvously isnt a high demand system therefor dosing is not necessary for you. but some people have a high coral load and dosing is required no matter the brand of salt.

Offline Joel

• Adult
« Reply #37 on: September 10, 2009, 08:27:32 »
Techguy: I don't have any problem with how you want to operate & maintain your aquarium. It's yours to do what ever you wish with.

The problem is that your preaching on here to everyone on the right way to operate an aquarium and there are many problems with your advise. Your expressing your opinions as facts based on very little experience and largely, they are wrong. The experienced hobbyist see the problems with your advise and try to address the problems and offer better information for not only you but for others to learn from. But instead of learning from the advanced hobbyist, you challenge and disagree with them and continue to preach to others that your opinion is "the way". With the overwhelming numbers of experienced hobbyist here telling you your wrong and even explaining why, it's dumb founding that you keep going on your crusade to "teach people the way".  Again, your basing your opinions on very little time & experience with very little equipment & supplies, I'm almost embarrassed for you.

My knowledge in this hobby is not based on just 1 aquarium that I have owned for a short period of time. I've seen and experienced an awful lot over the years and have learned much. My understanding of how aquariums work are far advanced by comparison to some, (you for example) and dwarfed by others. It's humbling to me when talking to someone who's knowledge is greater than mine but it's also an opportunity to learn more and I like to take advantage of it. I know when I'm truly out of my league and need to shut up and listen. There is no shame in needing to learn about a subject your new to however, there is much shame in acting like your an authority about a subject you know little about only to have it repeatedly pointed out how wrong you are and why (as has been your case repeatedly)

If you had done some reading from the experts, you would have a better understanding of equipment and water maintenance. Pick up a copy of Anthony Calfo's or Julian Sprung's books that cover system, equipment & water management. These are two of the best and most experienced persons in the industry. They have much to offer beginners and advanced hobbyist alike.

Again, I really don't care what you believe or practice on your aquariums. But you have got to stop offering such bad & inaccurate advise, stop bashing things because you don't understand them, insinuating people are stupid, etc..

If you help and want to learn, were here for you, otherwise, please fine somewhere else to be a nuisance.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2009, 15:27:44 by Lazylivin »

Offline Joel

• Adult
« Reply #38 on: September 10, 2009, 08:36:49 »
And....

I'm sorry too Justin.

Very interested in hearing how this salt works out for you.

Joel

Reefd Up

« Reply #39 on: September 10, 2009, 18:19:39 »
Keep the forum friendly EVERYONE!  Don't be sarcastic...I don't want to hear it, and no one else does. 

Techguy - I'm sorry, but the requirement for dosing can be proved by math.  If the organisms in a tank are taking out more than water changes can supply, dosing must be provided to keep up with their growth.  For some people, regular water changes are just NOT enough to keep up with the demand.  For instance, on my 40g tank, I had over 75 colonies, mostly SPS.  Before I moved tanks, I was dosing 300 ml per day of Ca, Alk, and Mag...and doing a 10% water change every other day.  Lemme tell ya...a 10% water change every other day is just NOT feasible for most people.  High demand systems are just that...high demand.  There was only one time where I had trouble (not a crash, but trouble) by dosing...and that was when Will accidentally dosed a gallon of Magnesium b/c he thought it was RO topoff water.  There are user-friendly websites that calculate the amount of chemicals you'll need to add...not that difficult.  I've haven't really heard too many horror stories with dosing other than dosing pumps failing...or CA reactors failing.  I do it manually...not too much error there!

You ask, "what does it take to do some research"?  Where are your sources?  Have you stopped to read any of my "Reef Brief" articles on this site?  They're all researched and sourced...info by top experts in the field...or by scientists using the scientific method. 

On this site you'll find MANY engineers, some scientists, a couple of chemists, many construction/carpenters, and several biologists.  In addition to that, there are a few people on here that have been in this hobby about as long as I've been alive.  That's not really a hobby anymore...they could be considered experts. 

No, dosing is definitely not for everyone.  I went for quite a while without dosing...water changes were more than fine.  My theory has always been K.I.S.S. - Keep it simple, stupid!  But, there is a threshhold where water changes become excessive...and dosing becomes easier and less expensive.

And don't point at LFS encouraging dosing to make a profit.  While they do sell the chemicals...many of us buy in bulk from our local hardware/grocery stores...and some of the LFS have encouraged it or do it themselves. 

Offline UDJustin

• Adult
« Reply #40 on: September 11, 2009, 12:30:18 »
Ok back on task you silly kids  ;D I started mixing my first batch of the salt. All granuales are very uniform in size and bucket was sealed very well. I mixed half the amount at a time and with in minutes the water was clear and bucket was clean so it seems as of right now the salt mixes well and very clean. I'm in the process of testing the params of the water to see if the bucket is correct with the values it states. I should be able to post them up later today if i get around to it.

Offline UDJustin

• Adult
« Reply #41 on: September 11, 2009, 13:07:17 »
Ok this is what I got so far I tested with all salifert test kits and a pinpoint salinity monitor.
Salinity- 33.7 ppt or 1.0250
Calcium 450 they clain 413 I think
DKH 10.0 they say 7.5
PH 8.3 it was 8.3
Magnesium 1380 I think they say 1288
I didnt test for strontium cause I didnt want to spend 25 mins for one test at the moment so Im not gonna compare that for you. This was me testing so my tests could be a little off cause Im sloppy and dont like to wait so their could be some error in my results I would have to have some other people test it or send it out to be tested to actually make the claim that the results were a little off. On the other hand this is where I try to keep my tank anyways so the levels are dead on for me. Now the real test how the animals react to the salt, this test will take many weeks if not months.

Offline Joel

• Adult
« Reply #42 on: September 11, 2009, 13:15:55 »
I didnt test for strontium cause I didnt want to spend 25 mins for one test at the moment so Im not gonna compare that for you.

Lazy!!!!!!! :D

slandis3

« Reply #43 on: September 11, 2009, 13:35:23 »
I would have to have some other people test it or send it out to be tested to actually make the claim that the results were a little off.

ok go ahead and give me the rest of your salt i'll be glad to test it for you  :D

Offline UDJustin

• Adult
« Reply #44 on: September 11, 2009, 17:43:09 »
Ok maybe i am lazy but how many people on here actually have a strontium test kit

Offline Wall_Tank

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #45 on: September 11, 2009, 20:33:28 »
I do...... but then it's way past its expiration date.

Reefd Up

« Reply #46 on: September 11, 2009, 20:54:29 »
Noooooope

Offline Joel

• Adult
« Reply #47 on: September 12, 2009, 08:46:13 »
Ok maybe i am lazy but how many people on here actually have a strontium test kit

I had one but you took it.......

Offline UDJustin

• Adult
« Reply #48 on: September 12, 2009, 10:13:18 »
lol whats yours is mine Joel isnt that how our relationship works ;D

Offline Joel

• Adult
« Reply #49 on: September 12, 2009, 10:45:56 »
Lets takk to Liz & Cheryl about that....