2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: another nitrate thought  (Read 2680 times)

Offline larrynews

another nitrate thought
« on: February 08, 2010, 19:39:07 »
i have have rumble rock and live rock in my sump where the water is dumped from the tank, it's always under water but could that be the problem with the high nitrates. i have had it like this for years and never had this kind of issue, still testing around 200ppm. on both test kits. just a new thought

Reefd Up

Re: another nitrate thought
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2010, 21:07:02 »
Have you taken your water to someone else to test?  Having a second eye...and a second/third set of tests never hurts.  I almost did a 100% water change one day b/c of mis-reading a test.  I don't even know of any nitrate tests that go up to 200.  I don't know how you couldn't have serious serious problems in your tank at 200.  Something doesn't add up.  I think you're looking for a needle in a haystack...but should really be looking for the hay.  There's gotta be something very obvious we're all missing. 

Offline harleyrider

• Adult
  • If you have to ask, you cant afford it!
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2010, 21:12:07 »
i have have rumble rock and live rock in my sump where the water is dumped from the tank, it's always under water but could that be the problem with the high nitrates. i have had it like this for years and never had this kind of issue, still testing around 200ppm. on both test kits. just a new thought
Ive got approx 35 or 40 lbs of rubble rock submerged in my refuge, my nitrate read a constant 5.0, and with the wildly high nitrates it always brings us back to the test kits, wont go there but have you tried taking your water somewhere like joel, or justin, or joe, that could test it for you with different test kits, youve been in this long enough you know how to feed and take care of your tank so i wouldnt think its something your doing..

Offline larrynews

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2010, 22:13:36 »
the red sea kits goes to 250ppm, i will take it somewhere to get it tested, but 2 kits from 2 different companies strange, i will get in touch with someone else i have had some offers. thanks again to everyone.
larry

Reefd Up

« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2010, 22:52:16 »
Hm, sorry...I'm out of ideas.  Hope you didn't take any offense to my "let someone else try" approach...but sometimes it just takes someone looking at it all to go, "DOH!"

I'd have someone experienced come over, bring a whole box of test kits...look over your tank...and run everything.  I have a feeling the answer will pop out quickly...200 nitrates has to have a pretty obvious cause.  But, when you stare at something all day every day, the obvious just blends in.  (Once again, not saying it's your fault...please don't take it that way...just saying we're missing something in the picture and I can't think of what....maybe someone else will.)

Offline HUNGER

« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2010, 08:10:00 »
im still shock that you have 200 and your tank looks that good and doing that well
SIZE DOES MATTER

Offline larrynews

« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2010, 14:22:37 »
nope not offended at all, and i agree sometimes the answer is right there and you cant see it.
no problem
thanks again
larry