2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: Marine and Reef on Amazon  (Read 5278 times)

Offline Ballyhoo

• Juvenile
Marine and Reef on Amazon
« on: January 20, 2012, 09:52:48 »
I have to say this company has by far the worst seller I have ever encountered...
December 28th I ordered a Coralife 4 bulb 36'' VHO T5 light, I recieved an email that my payment was accepted and my order was confirmed in stock and to be shipped January 4th-9th. Well January 6th rolls around and I have yet to recieve an email that states my order has shipped so I contact the seller. Their response was poorly written and very unarticulate. They stated that my order is on back order and they haven't recieved a shipment of that particular light in 2 months and don't expect to for another month, which means while my light said it was instock on the date ordered it was not. I was willing to look past this and chalk it up to some simple error. I asked for a refund becuase I was on a schedule for my tank set up and quite frankly didn't want to wait a month possible more for the light to arrive to them and then be shipped to me. After I asked for my refund they tried to sell me another light, that wa 2 bulb so less expensive in the long run, and had no fan so it was quiet and ultimatly much better and all I would have to is send them another 50$...well I got a little agrivated and asked for a refund, I never recieved an email that conrfirmed my refund but the money was back in my account so I was happy, at least until a few days ago....
The other day I recieved an email that stated my light had shipped and that my account was going to be charged, and included a USPS tracking number. I called MasterCard and had my card blocked so that no transactions can go through. I checked the USPS tracking number and was met with another surprise. The shipment confirmation email stated that I was recieving 1 box at 17lbs, the USPS site states that I am  recieving 2 boxes at 4lbs, which is to be delivered the 24th. I have emailed them and have recieved no response. So at the moment I am recieving a mysterious package that I didn't order and have no debit card becuase it was frozen and can not get ahold of the seller....
As they both sank to the bottom of the river, the frog said "do you mind if I ask you something? You said there would be no logic in your stinging me. Why did you do it?" "It has nothing to do with logic," the drowning scorpion sadly replied. "It's just self destruction is my nature."

Offline Todd W.

• Adult
Re: Marine and Reef on Amazon
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2012, 10:25:45 »
Oh man.... I hate hearing about these nightmare situations...  Remember, deep breaths.

I can't believe that your card was frozen.

Offline Ballyhoo

• Juvenile
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2012, 10:38:54 »
Oh man.... I hate hearing about these nightmare situations...  Remember, deep breaths.

I can't believe that your card was frozen.

I froze it so that they couldn't charge it, but I can't use it either....
As they both sank to the bottom of the river, the frog said "do you mind if I ask you something? You said there would be no logic in your stinging me. Why did you do it?" "It has nothing to do with logic," the drowning scorpion sadly replied. "It's just self destruction is my nature."

Offline Wall_Tank

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2012, 11:10:22 »
I noticed that you said Debit Card.   I would never use a Debit Card for an online purchase.   Make sure you know your protections.

Offline Reefpete

• My pain is self chosen
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2012, 11:10:57 »
I froze it so that they couldn't charge it, but I can't use it either....

Sorry to hear about your misfortune. I think most of us in this hobby, or anyone who has ever ordered anything online has gone through the unnecessary hassle of dealing with poorly operated fly by night companies. Best of luck to you on this. Be careful with the packages!!!   

Offline Ballyhoo

• Juvenile
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2012, 11:41:49 »
I don't know about credit/debt cards. I thought they were both safe to use online?

Offline Boonjob

• Reefkeeping: Go Broke or Go Home
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2012, 11:55:33 »
You can use either online... and the debit cards are usually a bit more effective/easy as they usually don't have spending limits, and the don't charge interest on purchases.... HOWEVER... if you use a debit card, whatever checking account it is linked too is prone to theft... if it is your sole/main account and someone gets your debit card number, they can cause some extensive damage... a credit card is going to have a cap on it... and most spending limits help safe guard against mass theft in one swipe....

That being said... it's not that debit cards are bad to use online... they can just be percieved as not as "secure"....

I would suggest opening a small spending account completely seperate from your main account if you plan to do alot of online shopping... use only the debit card from that spending account to purchase on line goods... and only put in small amounts of money to cover your purchases... this way if someone does get your debit card you aren't loosing all your money, only a partial amount equal to what you placed in your spending account.... and you are free from interest and spending caps that come with a credit card, also no credit checks for those who may have issues...

Some even choose to use those visa gift cards, as they can be recharged, and used just like a debit card... only problem is here, they aren't as convienent as a secondary spending account, and they are prone to loosing money if funds aren't spent withing X amount of time...

Further more... depending on where you setup your secondary spending account, most banks/institutions treat the debit card as a check card... and this allows you to place a stop payment on a certain $ amount or transaction... as opposed to locking out your entire card or account as you have done above...
God is great, Beer is good, and People are crazy...

Life is a beach, I'm just playing in the sand.

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/boonjob-s-reef-tank

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2012, 13:21:52 »
Oh man went through similar situation recently with Walmart online. It sucks. Good luck.

Offline Viggen

« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2012, 14:57:01 »
Premium aquatics or aquarium Specialty is where I get my stuff.  Both have excellent customer service!!!
300g tub o fish

Offline HUNGER

« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2012, 17:00:52 »
thats y i use paypall
SIZE DOES MATTER

Offline Ballyhoo

• Juvenile
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2012, 20:34:04 »
Luckily I have my account set up to where it can't overdraw. If its A penny short it won't go through.  I'm going to be changing my card numbers when this is all said and done.

Thanks for the advice on cards!

Offline Wall_Tank

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2012, 20:51:52 »
Since we're talking fraud and credit........make sure you know about checking your credit report.   You are entitled to get one free copy from each of the 3 credit agencies per year by law.  If you check one site every 4 months, you will keep a good review of your credit.

Start Here.

https://www.annualcreditreport.com

Of course you can pay a fee for a company to check your credit for you too.

Offline micki

• Best mamaw Reefer!!!
  • My munchkins! :)
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2012, 08:27:28 »
thats y i use paypall

+1 I use this when I can, but if they don't do pay pal, I use a credit card versus debit.  I don't like the idea of someone having direct access to my bank account through my debit card. 

Offline Ballyhoo

• Juvenile
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2012, 11:08:12 »
The seller is denying that I ever requested a refund and is stating that my card is still going to be charged. I contacted amazon and filed a return request with an amazon rep on the phone. The rep saw my request for a refund and is giving them 3 business days to respond with a return mailing label and if none is issued then amazon will step in and file a claim.

Offline Sunny

• Adult
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2012, 11:45:18 »
What a nightmare.  I feel for ya, but a lot of us have been through similar situations.  It sucks.   I use Paypal also plus I have a credit card with a set limit never to be raised that I use for online purchases only if they don't do Paypal.  Makes it easier to keep track of things, and in situations like what you are going through, I could freeze it if necessary and it wouldn't affect my debit cards.  Good luck.   

Offline Ballyhoo

• Juvenile
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2012, 08:06:26 »
Finally got my money back and my account straightened out.... 
The seller tried to tell me that they never recieved the packages therefore could not issue a refund, but I had gotten tracking numbers so that was quickly fixed. I got a new card, and am strongly considering changing my account numbers. I'm SO glad this is over!

Offline HUNGER

« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2012, 08:09:24 »
thats good
SIZE DOES MATTER

Offline Reefpete

• My pain is self chosen
« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2012, 16:15:13 »
 :P

Offline Reefinmike

• was Illnino
« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2012, 19:16:39 »
ive had several great transactions with marineandreef, even had a problem where i opened up a pc bulb several months after purchasing it to see that it had broken. they shipped me a new one right away, no questions asked. typically for drygoods online, i go through petsolutions(owned by jacks :/ ) because A- free shipping for orders $50 and up B- they price match other retailers and C- theyre located in beavercreek, so orders ship via fedex in a day.