2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: Starter cultures of N &T phyto  (Read 2778 times)

Offline Boonjob

• Reefkeeping: Go Broke or Go Home
Starter cultures of N &T phyto
« on: October 31, 2012, 23:43:25 »
Have some 16oz starter cultures for both N and T strains.... They are still seperate(that I know of) They still retain their physical appearance differences atleast...

Both strains are fully matured, so should yield nicely for you in 4-5 weeks, or you can use now if you didnt plan on aquaculturing them.

They are free while they last.

« Last Edit: October 31, 2012, 23:55:29 by Boonjob »
God is great, Beer is good, and People are crazy...

Life is a beach, I'm just playing in the sand.

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/boonjob-s-reef-tank

Offline Steve

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Adult
Re: Starter cultures of N &T phyto
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2012, 00:06:48 »
Hey Cody I would like a bottle of each if possible. Maybe pick up friday or Sunday afternoon?

Offline Twizted1

• Adult
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2012, 00:22:40 »
What is the differance between n & t? Mine looks alot lighter than yours?

Offline Boonjob

« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2012, 08:08:06 »
Hey Cody I would like a bottle of each if possible. Maybe pick up friday or Sunday afternoon?
Sure thing Steve, I am off all day Friday, If you want to meet up somewhere just give me a call

What is the differance between n & t? Mine looks alot lighter than yours?

There are over 4,000 different strains/type of phyto... these are just two of the more common. A third would be ( I ) which is red, You see these 3 the most in our hobby.  The longer the phyto matures the thicker it gets, so it will appear darker in color(you may have another strain, though), all of these starters are right inbetween 5-6 weeks.

If you keep them seperate they will remain independent strains, if you cross contaminate, or mix them one will end up taking over the other.

I started both of these cultures off commercial bottles, Which to be honest were no where near this thick or deep.... You could see right through their bottles, it was barely colored water hardly any phyto... After some love, tender care and time.(lol) They have thickened up to what you see now.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2012, 08:26:33 by Boonjob »

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2012, 10:30:31 »
Nice work Cody or now known as Mr. Phyto

Offline Boonjob

« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2012, 10:55:49 »
Thanks Brian, But I followed you most of the way lol. I Can't really take credit for that.

Offline rayviv

• Here fishy, fishy.
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2012, 12:50:18 »
I would like one of each also!
I dont think I followed Brains instructions good enough and mine look dead. can not see any live in tub.

Just let me know when to Pick up, please.
The mind is a wonderful servant but a dangerous master!

Offline Boonjob

« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2012, 13:33:03 »
No Problem Ray, These are just the Phyto, Not the pods as Brian had.

It's rather simple to culture your own phyto, I would assume this is about as thick as you can get phyto without starting to risk the culture.

You can take these and put them in a Sterile 1 Gal jug fill the rest of the jug with sterile saltwater(1.10-1.20; I use 1.19), mix in some fertilizer, Add a airline, and light; and you'll have a batch just like this in 4 weeks or so, which you can then split and restart the cycle...

I have been revolving my batches every month, So if that's too much work for anyone I should have spare bottles every month. You can store the phyto in the fridge for 4 weeks on average as long as you shake it every 3-5 days.

I plan on acquiring ( I ) and culturing it, but that requires me to rework my culturing station so to prevent cross contaimination, so as soon as i get that together I will hopefully have some I available in the near future.

Below is the breakdown of the process...

-1 Gal Water jug(sterilized, You can add boiling water, rinse with alcohol)...Never reuse the jug after that culture matures, just pitch it, and get another. I find the Evian jugs or similiar work the best as they are crystal clear and dont diffuse the light coming in
-1 Gal of Sterilized Water(again you can boil)
-Enough Aquarium Salt to bring Gal water to 1.10-1.20 SG (usually about a 1/3 cup works)
-Sterilized airhose(Rigid and Flexible), You can just boil this to reuse
-Airline Check valve(Prevents water from coming back into pump)
-5ml of Liquid miracle grow Fertilizer
-5ml of Reef Minerals(Optional; any normal reef mineral/nutrient replenisher works)
-Starter Culture of Phyto Strain
-1 6500k CFL w/ reflector(you can get these cheap at hardware store)
-1 Air pump (noth fancy, just needs to put out enough air to keep the phyto suspended)
-1 Electrical outlet timer
-4-5 Weeks time

Directions,
-Mix salt with sterilized water to 1.10-1.20 SG
-Let sit minimum 20 min, preferred 24 hours (this isn't a huge deal, but I go the full 24 hr)
-Punture Lid of 1 Gal Jug with 2 holes, Both just large enough to pass the Rigid airhose through(one will be for your airline, the other is a vent)
-Pour Phyto Starter into 1 gal Sterilized Jug
-Add Sterilized Salt water to fill jug to about 1" from top
-Add 5ml of Liquid Fertilizer
-Add 5ml of Reef Minerals(optional)
-Screw lid back onto Jug
-Insert Rigid airline into one of the holes you created on the lid(trim rigid airline to be 1"-2" above the lid)
-Attached Flexible Airline to Rigid Airline
-Attach other end of Flexible Airline to Air Pump
-Position 6500k CFL w/Reflector facing the Jug(optional you can place jug in a box enclosure made from Foam wall board insulation wrapped in Aluminium foil to get the best light reflection, to allow light on all sides, But it isn't needed.)
-Plug your light into your Outlet timer, and set the timer for 16hrs on 8hrs off...

Depending on your starter culture, you could be ready to split in aslittle as 3 weeks, but 4-5 weeks is average. Anything over 6 can start to jeopordize the Culture, as it may be too thick to allow proper light causing decay to start.

Split culture once it is to your likings, saving some for the next batch and rinse and repeat process... You can store the phyto in your fridge or up to a month provided you are shaking it every 3-5 days depending on how thick it is, you want to keep the phyto in suspension.

Sterilizing seems to be the key, Both bacteria and other strains of Phyto can cause a crash, Sterilizing is a great preventive measure... Allow plenty of space between two different strain cultures, as it can be easy to cross contaminate. Keep them seperate or you will have decay from biological warfare and will eventually end up with one strain...

I find it is much easier to toss the old jug than it is to try to clean and sterilize it... Things like the airhose can be salvaged for a few more uses as you can let them boil over several minutes and they usually come out spotless.

Phyto is just like any other algae or Plant, it likes Co2... so if you put the pump on a Co2 rich enviroment you will get great results, I went from my kitchen to my basement right near my utilities and the cultures thickened significantly, nothing else changed.

Also no need to heat these cultures so long as they are at room temp... 65-75 Degrees is plenty fine.

A fresh,live, active culture should smeel Fresh,earthy,oceany smell. Some may smell a little acidic (like tomatoe soup or pureed tomatoes) that is fine... You don't want it to smell rotten like a bad egg... This most likely means you cross contaminated or allowed bacteria in the culture, resulting in decay... You will need to toss this batch and conatiners... Sorry but you will need to start that strain over... dont try to salvage it, you won't be able too at that point the decay will persist most likely, as the bacteria or cross contaminated strains will still be present.

Offline Viggen

« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2012, 14:53:39 »
Dumb question by a of/fowlr dood......

So own at is thus stuff for?  Do corals live off of it?

Oris it the new craze in healthy energy drink? 
300g tub o fish

Offline Boonjob

« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2012, 16:41:21 »
Well Compared to some energy drinks it just may be better for you.... lol

It's the base of the food chain, So in addition to feeding any filter feeder(clams, tube worms, corals), you can also feed pods, rotifiers, brine shrimp etc...  So it expands what else you can culture, and those can ripple on to other things, and so on and on...

I for example use it for filter feeding, But I also take my left over brine shrimp and any left over unhatched eggs , put them in a large bucket with some phyto and SP 20, and the brine shrimp over the course of a few weeks get nice and fat, I then sieve out a quanity of adult brine shrimp and Freeze them. So I have a constant supply of gut loaded(Phyto,SP20, minerals) Brine Shrimp.

I tried the same with pods, but my pod culture crashed, But I am now trying it again, as of yesterday.

This stuff is so easy to culture and the alternative of buying it is super expensive; the same 32oz package I am giving out now is 32.00 bucks commercially and no where near the quality.... Plus I find it interesting and awesome to culture anything, and not have to rely on the ocean or someone else lol.

Offline THE MAD REEFER

• Adult
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2012, 12:53:43 »
Have some 16oz starter cultures for both N and T strains.... They are still seperate(that I know of) They still retain their physical appearance differences atleast...

Both strains are fully matured, so should yield nicely for you in 4-5 weeks, or you can use now if you didnt plan on aquaculturing them.

They are free while they last.

i am going to be going to cinci for the frag swap on sat can i get a bottle of each please

give me a call so we can meet please or set something up

thanks

dave
937 408 9871

Offline Steve

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Adult
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2012, 21:24:02 »
Hey Cody not sure when I can hook up with you, if some one wants the 2 you had for me go ahead and let them have them and I will catch up with you on a later batch.

Thanks
Steve

Offline rayviv

• Here fishy, fishy.
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2012, 22:55:24 »
Hey Cody not sure when I can hook up with you, if some one wants the 2 you had for me go ahead and let them have them and I will catch up with you on a later batch.
Thanks
Steve
Same here Cody, I can get some later if you want to send the two I wanted with someone.
 If not just pm me when I can PU

The mind is a wonderful servant but a dangerous master!

Offline Twizted1

• Adult
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2012, 23:21:03 »
Cody, if you have a bottle left & can bring it sat. I would like a bottle. For some reason mine is getting lighter instead of darker & sticking to the side of the bottle I have it brewing in. Can you have to much bubble?

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2012, 11:19:21 »
No you can't have to much bubble. Mine does best at a strong boil. I have noticed that it will stick to the sides at about a week in but then stops after the biofilm established. If you are using a airstone don't in favor of large bubbles that won't block light.

Offline Twizted1

• Adult
« Reply #15 on: November 04, 2012, 12:57:52 »
Biofilm? It's getting foamy on the top. Is that biofilm?

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #16 on: November 04, 2012, 17:26:31 »
Biofilm on the sides of the culture container from a layer of bacteria that keeps the phyto from sticking.