2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: Berghia Nudibranch  (Read 3644 times)

Offline DarinSchmidt

• darinschmidt@gmail.com
  • The wisest man knows he knows nothing at all.
Berghia Nudibranch
« on: September 04, 2011, 11:34:14 »
Thanks to Salty Underground for donating 3 Nudi's, i also purchased 3 more and paid for shipping which came to almost $60, I now can test out the little guys to see how effective they are at controlling the aiptasia issue many reefers run into. The size of these Nudi's are small, most of them I recieved were about 1/2" which they can grow up to 1.5". It was noted that during shipping, their size may be reduced. Why? I'm not possitive but my idea is due to lack of food.

Salty Underground was very informative with the acclimation process, what their habits are and just about anything you could possibly want to know.

Thanks SU!!!

Last week i got them in on a Tuesday, I took some pics, acclimated them for a minimum of 2 hrs, placed 2 of them on 3 different troubled aread which I took pictures of as well. Also durring the acclimation period i scraped off an aiptasia and put it in there with them hoping to see them feed, which is optional, but they didnt. I'll be taking bi-weekly pictures as they could go dormant for some time and will post them as I have time and will comment on anything noticable. I placed them near the troubled areas making sure that the aiptasia couldnt grab then (which almost happened to one) and eat them, so if you do this, be careful not to get too close and make sure all water flow has been stopped till they get situated. I left my pump and power heads off for about 10-15min, placed them near a crevice so that no fish would harm them as they were able to seek shelter.

I did notice that i have a fair amount of aiptasia in my refuge, so i dont think that sustaining the Nudi's will be an issue as i can smash one to create many more through the tank. I'll try to find some time today or this week to post the pictures i have already taken.

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
Re: Berghia Nudibranch
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2011, 13:49:04 »
Looking forward to seeing how they do. Thanks for sharing

Offline DarinSchmidt

• darinschmidt@gmail.com
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2011, 20:15:08 »
OK, so i got my pictures uploaded finally and i was amazed when i seen the results thus far today. I'll post a before and after. The day they were introduced into the tank were on Thursday Sept 1st. Here are the Before and afters.

Offline HUNGER

« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2011, 20:23:22 »
looks like they did the job
SIZE DOES MATTER

Offline DarinSchmidt

• darinschmidt@gmail.com
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2011, 20:45:34 »
i'd say so too. each picture i dropped 2 nudi's at.

Offline DarinSchmidt

• darinschmidt@gmail.com
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2011, 23:10:22 »
and with how quickly they eradicated those, i was in my fuge today smashing a few aiptasia's lol. There are some other trouble areas, but i think those were my worst areas that i could see. Hopefully i can keep them happy with a weekly smashing of aiptasia.

Offline micki

• Best mamaw Reefer!!!
  • My munchkins! :)
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2011, 08:20:56 »
Wow, that's nuts! 

Offline Boonjob

• Reefkeeping: Go Broke or Go Home
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2011, 08:26:03 »
Looks good!
God is great, Beer is good, and People are crazy...

Life is a beach, I'm just playing in the sand.

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/boonjob-s-reef-tank

Offline DarinSchmidt

• darinschmidt@gmail.com
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2011, 05:54:08 »
And I just looked at my rocks today, can't find a single one in the pictures above.

Offline micki

• Best mamaw Reefer!!!
  • My munchkins! :)
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2011, 09:16:56 »
cool!

Offline HUNGER

« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2011, 17:33:22 »
thats good
SIZE DOES MATTER