2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: RODI Water  (Read 1121 times)

Offline Ohioreefjr

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Juvenile
RODI Water
« on: September 07, 2020, 16:47:28 »
My wife and I are currently in the final stages of getting my 150 gallon tank cleaned up and plumbed. Next step will be adding in all of our live rock and live sand and starting the cycle. Currently we do not have an RODI system plumbed yet, and that seems as though it may still be a ways off. So my next question is does anyone know the best place to get about 150-200 gallons of RODI water and/or premixed saltwater?

Offline Ohioreefjr

• Juvenile
Re: RODI Water
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2020, 16:47:58 »
I should also add, that we currently live in Anna, Ohio

Offline CoralBeauties

• Adult
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2020, 20:33:18 »
I might catch a lot of crap over this one but are you going fish only for the moment?  I ran tap water for years in my very first reef tank, but back then lps were the only corals being kept.  I did eventually have a forest of green hair algae and back then really didnt know why. I am talking back in the early 90's. I have a 75 gallon fish only tank for qt and use tap water for any water changes.  No problems at all.
Jeff

Offline Mussin

• Adult
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2020, 21:09:48 »
Just did this today.. I have a 180 display and a 100 g sump.  That's a lot of rodi water. Filled the sump with rodi but couldn't get rodi water upstairs. I just filled the display with tap water. I added some prime to kill the chlorine. Next add salt and let the fun begin

Offline JSellars

• Adult
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2020, 21:41:39 »
Buy your own RO/DI unit, most are rated for 75 gallons per day. It would be worth it in the long run, you will need about 30gal of water for water changes once you get to that point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Steve

• Adult
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2020, 11:51:29 »
Buy your own RO/DI unit, most are rated for 75 gallons per day. It would be worth it in the long run.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would have to agree. The money you spend on the water could buy or almost buy the unit. Why does it have to plumbed in and can't you do that later?

Offline dbowman

• Adult
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2020, 13:00:47 »
chewy has pacific sea water for $11 for 5 gallons. delivered. most places sell distilled water for $.80/ gal. Gerber's in Moraine has salt and freshwater for sale. I make my own and am happy that i can. i have the BRS 75 gpd and am quite happy with it. i have a screw on adapter for the sink and can fill my 30 gal RODI drum in a few hours. overflow goes down the drain when i forget lol
Marine depot has 90 gpd on sale $162
« Last Edit: September 08, 2020, 13:18:23 by dbowman »

Offline Straasha

• Juvenile
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2020, 13:54:29 »

Offline dbjonesjr

• Adult
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2020, 14:00:51 »
Like everyone else said: start with tap water or buy your own system. Doesn’t make any sense to drop $100 on premixed or RODI water when the transportation is just as much of a pain in the ass as making it.