2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: corals growing together  (Read 3218 times)

Offline larrynews

corals growing together
« on: April 24, 2010, 22:53:58 »
what is the rule on letting corals grow together, i see tanks with different corals intertwined in a lot of pictures i have some i want to put together , but not sure on the rule, ok more of a guideline is on that

thanks

Offline cyberwollf

• 2010 FragSwap Chairman
Re: corals growing together
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2010, 23:47:55 »
Depending on which corals, some are docile and some sting very aggressively. 
75G Mixed Reef w/ 30G sump/refuge

Electrical Engineers do it on impulse, with faster rise times, with more power, and less resistance at higher frequencies, without shorts, until it Hertz

Offline bkvreef

• Adult
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2010, 23:59:34 »
In my uneducated opinion if they are truly growing together than they must be doing ok.  If they were stinging each other or one stinging the other than at least the one would be showing signs and not growing.
Thanks and God Bless,
John

Offline HUNGER

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2010, 10:27:24 »
ya like zoas and grow togther  and montes can its  like u just have to try and see if they will work toghter 
SIZE DOES MATTER

Offline larrynews

« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2010, 13:32:31 »
i'm not purposely trying to get them to grow together but i am going to set some close to each other and i was wondering if that was ok. i guess if i see stinging damage i can just move one?

Offline CoralBeauties

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Adult
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2010, 14:23:53 »
I think that caps are pretty much a given that they will grow together safely.  I have an orange and green cap mixing well.  I also have a tricolor that is encrusting into a spumosa and the spumosa is the looser.  I have been having to scrape off the encrusting tricolor where it is contacting the spumosa.  It will kill any part of the spumosa it touches.   I have had a small milli frag fall onto one of my caps and the milli will kill any part on the cap that it touches.
Jeff

Offline cyberwollf

• 2010 FragSwap Chairman
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2010, 16:21:34 »
I think that caps are pretty much a given that they will grow together safely. 

Sometimes they are weird.  I have heard of them stinging each other, EVEN the same species if they happen to come from different ends of the ocean.... just keep an eye out when they start touching, and see which one is "winning"
75G Mixed Reef w/ 30G sump/refuge

Electrical Engineers do it on impulse, with faster rise times, with more power, and less resistance at higher frequencies, without shorts, until it Hertz

KeepOnReefin

« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2010, 19:59:07 »
So much to consider to answer this. Like most have said. Monti's are the loser in most cases. Some LPS kill things, some don't. Generally Coral of the species will be ok. I have acros/Zoas/Montis/Acans touching in the frag tanks, but mixing them up results in a loss of some kind. My rule of thumb is to keep any Acro/Milli away from anything thats not an Acro or Milli. When I notice tissue recession next to something else I move it. Normally whatever was dieing regains its tissue and is fine in a few weeks.

As always your mileage may vary!

Offline CoralBeauties

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Adult
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2010, 18:26:41 »
the biggest mistake not to make in placing the corals is to not allow them to have good grow out space.  I placed several of my frags what I thought was a good distance apart but within a year or 2 they are getting too close for comfort.  then you have to deal with moving a coral that is now fully encrusted onto your rock.  I have had to do this with several of my corals and hate to have to break them off the rock and relocate. 
Jeff

Offline larrynews

« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2010, 18:39:40 »
very good point, i always forget they will become encrusted