2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: Hey! Where you goin'? A Mushroom on the Move...  (Read 2418 times)

Offline kattz

• Old surfer dude
Hey! Where you goin'? A Mushroom on the Move...
« on: September 25, 2010, 00:15:11 »
We have a mushroom coral, which I'm assuming is a ricordea-type, neon green.  It was on a rock with a bunch of clove polyps and some kind of plate coral etched into the rock.  It is approx 2" in diameter.  Starting about a week ago, it began moving off to the left in the tank and sliding off of the rock.  Reminds me of a politician...  Anyway, if it moves about another quarter inch to the left, it will be more on the sand bed than on the rock. 

Is this a problem?

Where is it going?

Should I do anything other than watch? 

It has great light, great food, and great flow.  BTW, it left a little replica of itself behind.  No, I'm not taking it to the frag swap.

Advice?

Kev
90g SPS and LPS reef tank, 35g sump, ceramic rock by The Alternative Reef, Neptune Apex w 2 X EB8's, Moonlight module, ATI Sunpower Dimmable 8 X 39W T5's, Octopus Extreme 160 skimmer, PM Kalkwasser Reactor, 2 X Vortech MP40's, Geo 618 Ca reactor

Various thriving montipora, acropora, stylopora, wellsophyllia, blastomussa, hammer, anchor, and frogspawn, lobophyllia, rhizotrychus, pavona, scroll, and pagoda SPS and LPS corals, but no fish because I was too stupid to QT...

Offline jungliztkruger

• Adult
    • my other hobby...fire
Re: Hey! Where you goin'? A Mushroom on the Move...
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2010, 00:23:53 »
Good luck trying to intervene during the inexorable march of the mushroom. It will know better than you where it wants to be in your tank and trying to stop it will only frustrate you. I would grab a beer and watch it move. You could put some xenia beside it and watch the 2 "race".

Offline HUNGER

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2010, 01:42:48 »
thats y they reprobuce so fast
SIZE DOES MATTER

Offline micki

• Best mamaw Reefer!!!
  • My munchkins! :)
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2010, 07:15:58 »
I have them ALL over my tank!  IN the sand on the rock and in my zoas!  Good luck!!!     :angry4:

Offline Sunny

• Adult
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2010, 09:51:16 »
Mine move constantly.  I have a pretty yellow one, it took off between 2 rocks in the sand.  A pretty green one, it took off to reside under another mushroom.  Seems they never stay where I want them. 

Offline harleyrider

• Adult
  • If you have to ask, you cant afford it!
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2010, 10:21:22 »
Shrooms usually do not like a lot of flow, if you have a lot of flow try moving them out of it..

Offline HUNGER

« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2010, 10:31:00 »
they dont like kalk ether :th_thspaz:
SIZE DOES MATTER

Offline jeremyt

• Adult
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2010, 18:09:15 »
If it is moving down I bet it needs less light, I have to keep rics in the shade in my tank.