2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: Closed tops  (Read 4009 times)

terry

Closed tops
« on: May 19, 2006, 12:47:05 »
After avoiding a possible flood last night with a turbo snail going in one of my drain pipes last night i took mine off for awhile to see how it goes.The goofball was stuck in my stand pipe tried to get him out but finely had to just push him on thru.Kind of sounded like a hickory nut going down the gutter.Whew

Offline scott wilson

• Adult
Re: Closed tops
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2006, 13:25:00 »
you get better gas exchange with out one. 

wayne

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2006, 14:51:44 »
I've been topless for a while to help with heat and better gas exchange (my wife says it doesn't help  :laugh:).  However, make sure you don't have any jumpers!  I recently lost my blue damsel (my longest lived fish, 5+yrs).  Couldn't find it anywhere, thought something in the tank ate it, found it the other day behind the tank under some of the wiring  :'(

jenghes

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2006, 15:52:02 »
Due to the angle of the corner tank - it is very difficult to go topless.  I'd rather do it that way but.....  I am not a good enough carpenter to build a canopy for the bow front corner.  Love the corner tank, but it is a PIA to equip

Offline Hunter21

• Adult
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2006, 16:39:36 »
I would go topless...but dog hair prohibits that!  :P and there's still enough dog hair in it to make another dog! lol
Erin

terry

« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2006, 10:28:05 »
Shave the dog.Hahaha

Offline Reefinmike

• was Illnino
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2006, 11:12:05 »
tops for me. all my fish besides my tang are very very jumpy(dartfish). and i now like tops on my tanks because it keeps the humidity way down in my room. heating isnt a problem because on the other side where my 100g sump is, i have a big fan. lights dont phase the heat of the tank. it actually gets a little warmer at night because i  shut the fan off after the halides.