2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: show time....loading time  (Read 5894 times)

CrownSushi

show time....loading time
« on: May 25, 2006, 10:26:31 »
Here I am......a super newbie...

Finally, my nitrite is down to zero....
I was almost losing my patience....it was real hard to wait...
just watching the water movement (with some tiny particles) in the tank for weeks......ahhhhh...such a pain

Now, what am I supposed to?
Should I wait and watch for nitrate? or is it okay to put a fish in it?

I know I should introduce fish slowly...one in a week or so....
how about corals?
I like to get some mushrooms...some zoos...and some more maybe later...
Should I wait a while? I heard several months to be settled....
Can I get anything now?

Please, advise me...

bigfalcon36

Re: show time....loading time
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2006, 10:49:24 »
Go ahead and get some mushrooms and some HARDY Fish.  I would do a couple of medium sized water changes between now and the introduction of the fish.  I wouldn't worry too much about the shrooms...they live through anything. 

Also, can you provide us your tank specs?  Aquarium and sump size, lighting, and what youre using for flow? 

Travis

CrownSushi

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2006, 11:11:27 »
Thank you.....so much...
It's good to hear that...
I'm thinking of getting a couple of clowns or chromis...which should be fairly hardy as I heard...
how about zoos?
how about inverts?

the specs are 46 g, no sump, coralife super skimmer, t5 4X39W (2-10000K, 2-460nm), PH which runs 295 gph and another old one (no spec), temp runs between 78 and 81, 70lb LR+BR, 50lb LS+BS....

I have some pictures at home....will put it up....

Offline aquavista99

« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2006, 11:21:29 »
The best possible advice I could offer you is to purchase Natural Reef Aquariums: Simplified Approaches to Creating Living Saltwater Microcosms by John Tullock

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1890087009/103-9892971-1819051?v=glance&n=283155

This is the bible for all newbies!!!! 

Offline scott wilson

• Adult
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2006, 11:27:21 »
Do the t5 have individual reflectors or just one reflector above them?

If they each have thee own you will be able to keep higher light demanding coral.

Zoos should do fine.

I am kind of partial to flow. So you have 2 powerheads and a skimmer turning over less than 1000 gal per hour?  I would personally like to see our turnover around 1000 gal per hour. But there are a lot of opinions on flow.

As aquavista99 said READ READ READ. 

Offline Hunter21

• Adult
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2006, 12:51:39 »
if you end up getting any clowns, do look at getting Tank Raised, as they seem to be more hardy than wild caught clowns. I have a Tank Raised cinnamon clown and he's already over a yr. old, my last fish I had was a royal gramma and he didn't last but a few monthes, so I highly suggest tank raised.  ;D
Erin

CrownSushi

« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2006, 13:49:12 »
Thanks, people...

My t5 has just one big reflector.

Here's my shopping list.
tank raised clownfish.
(Is it a good idea to buy one now and another a couple of months later
so that they can mate? or two kids are ok?)
some mushrooms
some zoos
PH
and the book!!!

anything else?

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: May 25, 2006, 14:01:51 by CrownSushi »

bigfalcon36

« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2006, 14:29:09 »
Before you get the livestock I would invest in a hang on back (HOB) style overflow, a Mag 7 return pump, and something to use as a sump.  In the LONG RUN, this will benefit you the most.

Offline ohioreef

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Founding Member
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2006, 15:55:27 »
I'd get 2 clowns of about the same size. That way they can grow up together and one will eventually become the female.

I second Travis' recommendation of getting a sump. It simplifies things so much.

Offline Slicktrax

« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2006, 18:08:49 »
where do you want to ultimately end up with your tank?  the easiest things to grow now, ie mushrooms, may be your worst enemy in the future.

rick

That one guy who used to be on all the time......

CrownSushi

« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2006, 22:20:48 »
just got a couple of crowns....
forgot to ask if tank raised or wild
They look fine...so far...

I was going to make a sump. In fact, I bought a 10g tank....but....I don't know...
The ads having sump I know is
increasing the total volume of water and
can hide some equipment behind...
why is that such a good invertment?

mushroom...
why worst enemy in the future?
reproduce too much?
I think it look cool...

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline micki

• Best mamaw Reefer!!!
  • My munchkins! :)
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2006, 22:31:39 »
Cute Clowns!  Mushrooms can equal HEADACHE later on. They grow like wild fire.  But, if you like htem, then no problem. I still have a few in my tank that I haven't taken the time to nuke.  They look good if they would just stay in one place. :) 

More water to work with means easier to keep the tank in check.  Plus you can do everything you need to in the sump.  My 55 didn't have a sump. It wasn't aweful, but my 125 has a large sump/fuge and is so much easier to care for.  Plus if you have a fuge section you can control nitrates etc. much better with macro.  If you have the room I would go for it.   

Offline Reefinmike

• was Illnino
« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2006, 22:58:00 »
ha, youre the guy that i just sold the clowns to from aquariums etc right??  i remember the one clown... i believe they are wild

Offline Slicktrax

« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2006, 23:02:01 »
i wanted a few mushrooms to start with.  now i have hundreds in my tank.  they cover anything and everything eventually smothering other desired specimens.
That one guy who used to be on all the time......

Offline Joel

• Adult
« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2006, 23:02:45 »
Yup, they are wild collected.

They came from Sumatra.

Offline Hunter21

• Adult
« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2006, 23:04:47 »
just keep an eye on their poo, if it's white and stringy, then they could have parasites, but I've never met joel and from what I hear, he takes great care of his livestock, so I doubt he sold you anything that could cause you problems later!
Erin

Offline micki

• Best mamaw Reefer!!!
« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2006, 23:06:10 »
You're right Erin, Joel's a good guy!  ;)    He take very good care of his live stock. I've seen it first hand!  :)

Offline Hunter21

• Adult
« Reply #17 on: May 25, 2006, 23:08:29 »
that's why I can't knock on him, jack's I definitely can, but not him! and jeez, look what he's done for us so far, he's already got an A+ in my book even if I haven't met him YET! lol
Erin

Offline micki

• Best mamaw Reefer!!!
« Reply #18 on: May 25, 2006, 23:10:05 »
Yep,  ;D  the fun is just beginning!  LOL

Offline Hunter21

• Adult
« Reply #19 on: May 25, 2006, 23:11:22 »
They're building a new jack's 10 minutes from my house!!!  :o not sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing! lol
Erin

Offline micki

• Best mamaw Reefer!!!
« Reply #20 on: May 25, 2006, 23:12:45 »
Jacks in Sidney is about 10 minutes form me. I still go in every once in a while.  Not too often though.

Offline Hunter21

• Adult
« Reply #21 on: May 25, 2006, 23:13:40 »
I'd only use the jack's as an emergency, otherwise I go to petsmart for my pet needs! lol
Erin

Offline aquavista99

« Reply #22 on: May 26, 2006, 00:06:28 »

I was going to make a sump. In fact, I bought a 10g tank....but....I don't know...
The ads having sump I know is
increasing the total volume of water and
can hide some equipment behind...
why is that such a good invertment?

mushroom...
why worst enemy in the future?
reproduce too much?
I think it look cool...

All your questions will be answered in detail as soon as you purchase your reef bible.....ie, Natural Reef Aquariums by John Tullock. Sumps are important for successful mirco reef environments. Besides being an integral part of the plumbing, the sump provides a convenient place to hide all of your  equipment, like skimmers, return pumps and heaters. Sumps can also be used as algal turf scrubbers, whereby growing macro algae will help you export accumulated wastes, thereby improving overall water quality. Adding a sump also increases your total water volume.....the more water you have, the more stable your reef tank will be (e.g., a 25 gallon sump connected to a 75 gallon tank is really a 100 gallon system).

I would use your 10 gallon aquarium as a quarantine tank for new fish and purchase at least a 20 gallon aquarium for your sump. It is a big mistake to install a sump too small for your system. If electricity is interrupted, you could have an overflow of saltwater onto your surrounding floor if the sump is too small for your system. As for the quarantine tank, you never want to place new fish in your main display tank unless you quarantine them first for at least 3 weeks to a month to make sure they are eating well and are disease free. Many new hobbyists do not do this until a Marine Ich outbreak occurs, which is deadly to most fish if left untreated.

« Last Edit: May 26, 2006, 00:08:59 by aquavista99 »

Offline Reefinmike

• was Illnino
« Reply #23 on: May 26, 2006, 22:35:27 »
defenitally get a 20g for your sump. a 10 gallon is too small. even for my 29 it was too small. no room for anything. a sump will allow you to have a great ammount of varieties for flow, you can hide that skimmer, keep the bubbles out of the tank, and throw the heater down there. one suggestion. walmart has big pieces of black construction paper for like 50 cents and  just tape it to the back of your tank and it will make it look 2x better.