2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: DIY Nitratror: Preference?  (Read 3080 times)

Offline xXTheWendigoXx

• Adult
DIY Nitratror: Preference?
« on: February 01, 2010, 23:03:24 »
So I was thinking of setting up a DIY denitrator as a reasonably affordable project for my tank. I know of these two types...

1) DSB enclosed in something along the lines of a 5g bucket looped into the system

2) Coil Denitrator looped into the system

Feedback? Any experience or preference for one or the other? Any type I'm missing? Also, any advice on a pre-filter setup (just in case the consensus says coil) would be greatly appreciated.

Offline cyberwollf

• 2010 FragSwap Chairman
Re: DIY Nitratror: Preference?
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2010, 23:18:48 »
5 gal bucket RDSB all the way. Easier and no maintence or pump like the coil
75G Mixed Reef w/ 30G sump/refuge

Electrical Engineers do it on impulse, with faster rise times, with more power, and less resistance at higher frequencies, without shorts, until it Hertz

Offline xXTheWendigoXx

• Adult
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2010, 23:27:06 »
Perhaps I'm more ignorant then I gave myself credit for. The RDSB doesn't require a pump?

Offline cyberwollf

• 2010 FragSwap Chairman
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2010, 23:37:18 »
If you plumb it right, you can have gravity take the water towards the return pump.

Electrical Engineers do it on impulse, with faster rise times, with more power, and less resistance at higher frequencies, without shorts, until it Hertz

Offline xXTheWendigoXx

• Adult
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2010, 23:56:24 »
Is the return pump attached to an outlet from the bucket, or is this assuming there's a sump available to drip the water into?

Offline cyberwollf

• 2010 FragSwap Chairman
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2010, 00:02:11 »
Yea from the overflow through the bucket and into the sump by gravity. You can always use a pump if that is not feisiable.

The coils just require tuning like a skimmer to maintain the correct drip rate for proper bacteria growth

Offline Joel

• Adult
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2010, 06:52:44 »
Agreed on RDSB. With or with out a plenum. What ever your delivery method is to the sand, it needs to be fairly slow and needs to be pre filtered. You do not want organic particulate matter getting to your sand bed. If you don't protect your RDSB from debris it will eventually become a nutrient source that will fuel algae.

Coil denitrators virtually never work, they need constant attention to work properly,  mostly it is the flow rate that needs monitored & adjusted. If you get lazy with a coil denitrator it is possible for the water coming out of it to have high nitrites or develop hydrogen sulfide. Either case = disaster.

Joel

Offline xXTheWendigoXx

• Adult
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2010, 11:22:22 »
Remote Sand Bed it is.
There's no drilled tank or HOB overflow (although I'm sure the latter could be arranged). I'd love to see some diagrams or pictures of the flow setup anyone's using. If I DO end up using a smallish pump, I'm assuming that something along the lines of a sponge or floss attachment over the intake would suffice for pre-filtering?
« Last Edit: February 02, 2010, 11:30:56 by xXTheWendigoXx »

Offline ghurlag

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Adult
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2010, 13:34:14 »
I know that hamiltro has been wondering about the why's and wherefores of a RDSB.  While I have no immediate plans to add one, I am curious about the different modes of implementation.