2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: Yet another frag tank build...  (Read 2189 times)

Offline Reefinmike

• was Illnino
Yet another frag tank build...
« on: December 01, 2010, 00:20:55 »
I decided that its time to setup another tank, this time a frag tank. I really dont care about fish, or aquascaping, or display tanks, I like watching corals GROW! Im planning to frag out some of my more desirable montis( rainbow, sunset, superman, pokerstar, ect...) along with my meteor shower cyphastrea, some more common monti caps, and a few milleporas. Im also doing this because I have already run out of room in my display, and I could throw some of my "not so pretty" corals under the frag rack to make more room in the display.

Since I already had pretty much everything laying around, all I had to buy was the pvc for the frag rack ($6.50) and a bag of sand for aesthetics ($10). Flow will be provided by a couple small korallias, the sump is a 10 gallon tank found in my fish closet. The far right side of the tank does not get much light and I will most likely put the 15 or so pounds of rock from my 14g biocube that i'm tearing down, in there. As for fish, I will throw the yellow tail blue damsel from my biocube in, also probably a 6-line wrasse, partially because their coral parasite picking abilities, but mainly because they are beautiful fish that don't get along well in the average reef tank.

Anyways... Yesterday, I built the frag rack, today I got the sand, filled the tank with water from a WC on my display, and tomorrow Im planning on moving the biocube over and getting this thing up and running 100%.

« Last Edit: December 01, 2010, 00:24:41 by Reefinmike »

Offline HUNGER

Re: Yet another frag tank build...
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2010, 08:18:08 »
looks good  like how you have it steping down
i realy need to get one
SIZE DOES MATTER

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2010, 09:09:11 »
Great job on the frag rack

Offline ghurlag

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Adult
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2010, 15:24:34 »
I like this approach.  What size is the main tank,  40 breeder?  I like how you are making due with the lighting situation, and putting rock on the far end, where it will be dimmer.

Offline Reefinmike

• was Illnino
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2010, 22:22:18 »
Thanks! I tiered the racks such that even though they are at different levels, each rack still gets about the same amount of light with the angle of the clamp on light. I may try to find a small pc light to light up the end and hold on to pieces that I dont want in my display. The tank is a 30 breeder which is just 6" shorter than the 40.

Today after the swap, I got some plugs and fragged some things up. Mostly tester corals like red cap, green cap, digitata, birdsnest, and pocillipora... But I did cut a few polyps of my orange lepastrea (just like this http://www.reefodyssey.com/index.php?cPath=35_89 ) which is a very hard to come by oddball LPS that Steve tyree or whoever this fox guy that names the chalices haven't gotten their money grubbing hands on yet. In the coming days, depending on how well my testers do, I will be fragging up tiny bits of my pokerstar, superman, sunset, rainbow, and meteor shower and letting them grow out for a few months.

Offline HUNGER

« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2010, 23:59:44 »
looks good
SIZE DOES MATTER

Offline ghurlag

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Adult
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2010, 13:31:28 »