2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: Vicki's 14G biocube  (Read 20723 times)

Offline vickiwilson

• Adult
Vicki's 14G biocube
« on: December 27, 2011, 20:00:54 »
My biocube has been up and running for about 1 month.  I started off with a 5 g hex but that tank was just awful so i transferred everything over to the biocube which i like much better.

Corals: zoas, a mushroom, some gsp, kenya tree and some pulsing xenia and a 1 head of frogspawn. 

No fish just yet.

Please excuse the blurry shot (the better ones are on my phone which i can't find right now) and the veggie clip, i forgot to take it out after feeding the turbo snail some nori.

Offline HUNGER

Re: Vicki's 14G biocube
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2011, 20:38:09 »
looks good
SIZE DOES MATTER

Offline Sunny

• Adult
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2011, 21:57:16 »
That is cool. Like the rock work.  Nice tank.

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2011, 22:44:54 »
Nice job on the rock work, looks very artistic.

Offline Reefpete

• My pain is self chosen
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2011, 05:41:31 »
Nice job on the rock work, looks very artistic.
+1

Offline vickiwilson

• Adult
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2011, 08:20:15 »
Thanks everyone.  Rock is from Reef cleaners, it came in 2 large pieces and i chopped it up.  Tried to do an interesting 'scape since i'll be hopefully looking at it for some time.

I'm currently looking for something to fill the spot on the top ledge, i was thinking of a sun coral or maybe a torch or hammer.  Acros were suggested but i don't think i have enough light/ am not really ready to try sps.

I'll try and get some better photos up soon.

Offline vickiwilson

• Adult
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2011, 08:52:26 »
Took more photos this morning

2 hermits and my odd ball frag (zoas, kenya tree & pulsing xenia)

Long stem zoas with 2 new babies

Pulsing xenia recovering after disintegrating when added to tank about 2 weeks ago.

Frogspawn stretching and gsp

Up to date fts, still a bit blurry but iphones don't capture movement well.

Offline slandis3

• Lifetime Premium Member
    • Slandiscreations
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2011, 08:56:35 »
Looks real nice, what lighting are you using?

Offline vickiwilson

• Adult
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2011, 09:07:44 »
Thank you.

I'm just using the biocube stock lighting.  So PC's. I was thinking of upgrading to LED's when i get some spare cash.

Offline micki

• Best mamaw Reefer!!!
  • My munchkins! :)
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2011, 09:28:28 »
Very Cool!

Offline Reefpete

• My pain is self chosen
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2011, 13:09:41 »
Thank you.

I'm just using the biocube stock lighting.  So PC's. I was thinking of upgrading to LED's when i get some spare cash.

I highly recommend doing the led or halide upgrade. If I'm not mistaken there was a member who did a DIY led upgrade to his biocube. It turned out really nicely. I'll see if I can't find the thread for you. It would probably save you some money in the long run.

http://www.ohioreef.com/index.php?topic=11072.msg94998#msg94998

Offline HUNGER

« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2011, 17:44:37 »
thos zoas look great
SIZE DOES MATTER

Offline vickiwilson

• Adult
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2011, 08:29:41 »
I highly recommend doing the led or halide upgrade. If I'm not mistaken there was a member who did a DIY led upgrade to his biocube. It turned out really nicely. I'll see if I can't find the thread for you. It would probably save you some money in the long run.

http://www.ohioreef.com/index.php?topic=11072.msg94998#msg94998

Thanks for the link.  I was thinking of doing the upgrade when i get my next bonus from work.  It would probably keep the tank cooler in teh summer too.

Offline vickiwilson

• Adult
« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2011, 08:31:04 »
thos zoas look great

Thanks.  They've got 2 new heads already.  I'll be getting another zoa frag on tuesday when my devils hand leather arrives, the guy said he'd put in a colourful zoa frag too.  Can't wait to see what he sends.

Offline Reefpete

• My pain is self chosen
« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2011, 11:31:20 »
Thanks for the link.  I was thinking of doing the upgrade when i get my next bonus from work.  It would probably keep the tank cooler in teh summer too.

Just a little bit anyway...lol
Just kidding, the upgrade to leds should help reduce the heat greatly in the hotter months.

Offline vickiwilson

• Adult
« Reply #15 on: December 30, 2011, 10:36:20 »
Just a little bit anyway...lol
Just kidding, the upgrade to leds should help reduce the heat greatly in the hotter months.

That would be nice.  I have pcs on one of my tanks and the summer was a nightmare trying to keep it cool.  Yet the tank with LED's didn't heat up at all, maybe 1 degree change.  I'll definitely try and do the upgrade before the summer then.

Another pic:

My constantly hungry frogspawn.  I'm hoping the fact it is hungry all the time means it wants to grow nice and big in my tank.  Bumping up his feeding to try and get rid of these sweeper tentacles.

Offline Wall_Tank

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #16 on: December 30, 2011, 11:47:57 »
My constantly hungry frogspawn.  I'm hoping the fact it is hungry all the time means it wants to grow nice and big in my tank.  Bumping up his feeding to try and get rid of these sweeper tentacles.

The sweepers that you have out during the day, are more likely caused by too much flow.   

Offline vickiwilson

• Adult
« Reply #17 on: December 30, 2011, 14:35:11 »
The sweepers that you have out during the day, are more likely caused by too much flow.

I thought it was either flow or food, i had the flow turned completely off today (killing aiptasia) for about 30 minutes, i watched the frogspawn and if anything the whole thing got bigger, inc. the sweepers.

I'll play around with the placement of the powerhead a bit more to see if it makes a difference. i also wanted to split the outflow of the BC and am looking for tubing to do this.

Offline Reefpete

• My pain is self chosen
« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2012, 20:07:22 »
I'll play around with the placement of the powerhead  >:D

i also wanted to split the outflow of the BC and am looking for tubing to do this.

Please explain BC ???

Offline vickiwilson

• Adult
« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2012, 22:25:36 »
Sorry, BC = Biocube :)

Offline Reefpete

• My pain is self chosen
« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2012, 23:06:02 »
Sorry, BC = Biocube :)

No need to be sorry Vicki. I'm sure you could do it one of two ways, either a spray bar style tube or a split dual return off of the main return. Can you tell me what size outer diameter the return line is for a BC?

Offline vickiwilson

• Adult
« Reply #21 on: January 12, 2012, 09:41:40 »
No need to be sorry Vicki. I'm sure you could do it one of two ways, either a spray bar style tube or a split dual return off of the main return. Can you tell me what size outer diameter the return line is for a BC?

Didn't see this reply until now.  The return line is approx 1inch, maybe a tad smaller.  I managed to fix it temporarily using waterweld and the original piece.  I'm looking into getting some loc line from grainger next time i go there.   I'd like to split it soon though since i'm getting a dead spot in one corner and getting some cyano. 

Offline vickiwilson

• Adult
« Reply #22 on: January 12, 2012, 09:49:28 »
New fishie.  Lizzy the picasso clownfish.

Offline vickiwilson

• Adult
« Reply #23 on: January 12, 2012, 09:50:44 »
Dangit, pic didn't show up.

Offline Reefpete

• My pain is self chosen
« Reply #24 on: January 12, 2012, 17:34:06 »
Didn't see this reply until now.  The return line is approx 1inch, maybe a tad smaller.  I managed to fix it temporarily using waterweld and the original piece.  I'm looking into getting some loc line from grainger next time i go there.   I'd like to split it soon though since i'm getting a dead spot in one corner and getting some cyano. 

Are you going to split the line by adding a wye loc line and two nozzles? or use PVC to to run a nozzle to the opposite side? Pump upgrade?