2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: New Cube Tank  (Read 3605 times)

Offline woltersb

• Adult
New Cube Tank
« on: February 02, 2013, 21:48:00 »

Picked this up today, heck of deal, has top off, skimmer etc built in. Got a huge tax return coming so going to go a little crazy on it!

This is my first metal halide, I want to make sure I got the right wattage and K rating. If you know please help!

Also any recommendations on  'toys ' to add to it let me know! Want this perfect! So taking my time!!

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
Re: New Cube Tank
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2013, 22:06:22 »
That is a Solana 33g Rimless. It is a nice setup. You can paint the disco light black with Flat BBQ paint if the brushed aluminum doesn't work in the room. Depending on the model it could be 70w, 150w or 250w HQI. Check the ballast attached to the back of the stand

Offline woltersb

• Adult
New Cube Tank
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2013, 22:15:55 »

Looks like 150w, the system was never set up, guy bought from petco going out of business and never set up!

So bulb should be good? Or should I replace? If replace what do you recommend?

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2013, 22:23:39 »
If it was never used I agree bulb would be good. Common bulb colors are 14k and 20k. 14 if you like a crisp white with hint of blue and 20 if you like deep blue color. As far as bulbs go, most any brand is fine. My personal favorite is Radium's but that is just preference of the radium color

Offline woltersb

• Adult
New Cube Tank
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2013, 22:29:15 »
Any ideas for extras? Getting list to do one big order. Also want a neat rock formation... Any suggestions!?

Offline woltersb

• Adult
New Cube Tank
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2013, 22:42:21 »
Can I order premade ones!?

Offline yinyang

• Adult
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2013, 23:21:20 »
yes i had solana tank also,the 150w pendent is almost good as 250w one ,the bulbs i used is phoenix14k before,now i use kessli led,both  does the job,if you have funds buy you a reef keeper controller that will make everything so easy,on rc there is solana owner threat which you can get lots info on the solana mod,sweet see someone here have same tank as i do,you will enjoy it good for many year as i never have found something really that well thought & built!!
you can order premade the rock through our sponsor they all can order for you ,make sure the size,i was looking for one as i redo my tank end up all too big!!

Offline woltersb

• Adult
New Cube Tank
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2013, 23:30:51 »
Was just looking at controllers so many choices idk where to start:(

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2013, 23:35:38 »
Check this out. http://cerameco.com/gallery/
If your order tell them you heard about them on Ohio Reef and they may give you discount

Offline woltersb

• Adult
New Cube Tank
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2013, 23:54:51 »
Perfect! Love the designs just gotta find a dealer. Average guys I guess is

Offline Wall_Tank

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2013, 09:19:47 »
Was just looking at controllers so many choices idk where to start:(

I wouldn't recommend anything other than the neptune apex.  But there are many packages.....what are your goals with a controller?

Offline Twizted1

• Adult
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2013, 11:54:33 »
Check this out. http://cerameco.com/gallery/
If your order tell them you heard about them on Ohio Reef and they may give you discount

We are going to have some of this rock in the raffle. From what I seen of it, it looks nice.

Offline woltersb

• Adult
New Cube Tank
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2013, 12:02:40 »
I would like to simplify as much as possible, plus with my crazy schedule the ability to monitor remotely would be great.

The tank has a auto top off (two inverted bottles) would like to remove them and plumb in a line from the stand

Offline Wall_Tank

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2013, 12:38:35 »
I would like to simplify as much as possible, plus with my crazy schedule the ability to monitor remotely would be great.

The tank has a auto top off (two inverted bottles) would like to remove them and plumb in a line from the stand

That's all possible with the Apex.   Figure out what hardware you want to hook up then pick...... but I would guess you would be looking at an Apex Lite package.    (The main reason to go with the full Apex is variable speed or dimming ports, but those can be added to the lite later on)

Offline woltersb

• Adult
New Cube Tank
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2013, 12:40:03 »
Yea time to do some research! Does anyone have one I could come see?

Offline woltersb

• Adult
New Cube Tank
« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2013, 06:34:55 »
Made a big order last night night my complete controller system should be here this Friday!

Offline woltersb

• Adult
New Cube Tank
« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2013, 10:13:37 »

Offline woltersb

• Adult
New Cube Tank
« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2013, 10:16:47 »
Here's my controller set up:

Alittle concerned why my pH is hardly never above 8.0 but everything seems to be happy and it's fairly constant... Love the graph function of the controller.

Offline yinyang

• Adult
« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2013, 12:39:55 »
nice setup there!!once the tank mature you will have a kick ass all in one nano,one advice every time you change water,clean the back chamber where is return pumps at,alots debits stuck in there might cost unwant algae grow  !!

Offline woltersb

• Adult
« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2013, 00:30:34 »
ya I ordered a modification kit for the back to add an area for chaeto and to run some chemi-pure. I got a waterproof light for the chaeto as well!

If anyone has to trim there chaeto please let me know!

Offline Mussin

• Adult
« Reply #20 on: February 22, 2013, 07:56:03 »
I could get rid of some but im up in Lima. (cheato that is)

Nice set-up BTW!!

Jeremy