2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: 29 gallon  (Read 1351 times)

Offline Ohioreefjr

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Juvenile
29 gallon
« on: May 28, 2013, 11:00:51 »
Just purchased myself a 29 gallon bio cube for $80. Looking to make it my first saltwater tank. Any suggestions hints or helpful advice?

Offline Boonjob

• Reefkeeping: Go Broke or Go Home
Re: 29 gallon
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2013, 12:16:20 »
FO, or Reef?

I find a media filter basket is a must have on mine... Fikter floss(polyfilter pads or similar), and chemi pure... I had algae problem until I used these.

I also use the akimmer though i know some say they cant work it, mine works like a champ

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Xparent BlueTapatalk 2

God is great, Beer is good, and People are crazy...

Life is a beach, I'm just playing in the sand.

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/boonjob-s-reef-tank

Offline ohioreef

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Founding Member
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2013, 21:44:30 »
Boon,

Do you have any pics on how you're filtration is set up? I'll be helping Jr get this going.

Offline Phoenix7506

• Juvenile
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2013, 02:20:33 »
I have a biocube 14. It's essentially the same setup as boon was describing although I don't have room for the skimmer. I just do 10% water changes once a week. The media basket is a must. It's made by the company "intank". I found a picture of where everything will fit for you as the back of mine is the old model and is painted.

That should give you a good idea of what you can do with the biocube. I'm running filter floss on the top of the media basket. Cheato in the first compartment with a small submersible light and chemi-pure elite on the bottom. I have 15lbs of live rock and my nitrates are undetectable. Phosphates are very low as well.

I'm running the factory return pump and a koralia nano.

If there is one other thing I recommend it would be to upgrade to LEDs. The main advantage of this is to keep the tank cool which is one of the harder things to do with the biocube. The DIY kits from rapidled.com are great.

If you have any questions for me don't be afraid to ask.

Offline Boonjob

• Reefkeeping: Go Broke or Go Home
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2013, 08:11:39 »
^^^ Ditto, Same setup here... My first chamber I have a compact heater and the skimmer, that over flows into my intank media basket which has filter floss on the first level, then it goes into Chemi pure, then Filter floss, and the last chamber is cheato with an in sump submersible ight. The third chamber I just have a maxi jet utility drive pump. I have 1 korialia 250 nano(the one the size of an egg). I also run LED's on mine. I aswell have 14# of LR in mine.

I used to do 10-20% water changes every week on mine, however I havent done one since about december, just top off. I would say the Tank is "Bulletproof" at this point haha.
God is great, Beer is good, and People are crazy...

Life is a beach, I'm just playing in the sand.

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/boonjob-s-reef-tank