2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: Wanting to come back to a reef... starting over completely...  (Read 4636 times)

Offline Midwest Express

• Adult
Hey Everyone,

Glad to show my face once again on here.  After my 125 reef went crazy with algae and could never get it right... I took some time off of everything except for fish. Couldn't just have too many empty fish tanks laying around!  :)  My 125 is now and will remain a cichlid tank.  2 blue texans, 3 firemouth, and 3 red terrors.  Has a couple plants that I recently got so they are growing in there. 

The only fish that made the journey from reef to my current salt tank were two 3 stripe damsels.  I am not fond of them at all but I have had them since 2009.  So I figure I will just keep them around for a while longer.  Don't really want them in there because I would like to get some different fish for the reef once it is going again and I know those two will not like the now tank mates...

Right now the tank (35 gal long 48" long, 12.5" wide, 13.5" tall) only has those two fish and rock in it.  Right now I have only been using a 48" PC to light the tank.  I do have a 4 bulb 48" T5 setup that I will be using on the reef once I replace a blown cap in the ballast.  I have a tank that I plan on using for the sump that is 29.5" long by 12" wide by 12.5" tall.  It has a whole drilled in the bottom with a bulk head in it.  The tank came that way.  So my plan is to drill a hole in the bottom shelf of my stand when put a 90 coming through that and the putting that right into the inlet on my Iwaki WMD-20RLXT and then have that pump up into the display.  Not sure how I am going to plumb that as of yet so if any suggestions... let me hear them!  I have a 3 spigot spray bar I built on my 125 and wasn't sure if I was going to go that route again or not.

I have a Red Sea Berlin skimmer powered by a Mag 5 that I will put in the tank.  I can't fit my other skimmer under the display tank with the stand.  My other skimmer is a coralife super skimmer 220. 

My main problem right now is figuring out how to layout and design my sump and what all I should do with it.  For sure it will be doing skimming.  I also want a spot for a filter sock.  I plan on bringing each overflow into one pipe before it enters the sump.  I am just not over sure how I should design the flow through the sump and if it will be slow enough to a refugeium section in it or if that would just be a pointless waste of space.

When it comes to corals.  I want to do corals like zoas, candy buttons, hammer corals, brains, and definitely acans again.  I will deal with the corals once I get the tank setup and verified that it isn't going to have any problems like my 125 did! I am saving up for a good controller to put on the tank so that I can have probes keeping a strict eye on everything and be able to see my levels of everything on my phone or online.

Anyone have any ideas on how I should design the sump and my return?

Here are some pics of what I am starting with.  I will be building a canopy to hold the T5's.

This the tank I have for the sump.  It is upside down right now.  Once it is under the tank, the bulk head will be on the right of the tank.

"The more complex the mind, the greater the need for the simplicity of play."
Capt. James T. Kirk

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
Re: Wanting to come back to a reef... starting over completely...
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2013, 17:46:46 »
Welcome back Wes.

Offline Midwest Express

• Adult
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2013, 17:51:25 »
Thanks Brian. Hoping I don't run into issues like last time. Your tank is looking awesome from the pics I have seen!

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 4

Capt. James T. Kirk

Offline bbtm64

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Adult
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2013, 22:11:42 »
Welcome back. Good to hear you're starting back up.
Once your ready for corals, I'll see what I can frag and you can have it to start from. I live in Springfield too so it'll be close lol
Brent McCloskey

Offline Midwest Express

• Adult
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2013, 22:16:29 »
Welcome back. Good to hear you're starting back up.
Once your ready for corals, I'll see what I can frag and you can have it to start from. I live in Springfield too so it'll be close lol

Awesome ! Thanks a lot! Where in Springfield are you? I'm up on home road and deer road area. Do you have your tank setup on a thread on here?

Capt. James T. Kirk

Offline bbtm64

• Adult
Brent McCloskey

Offline Twizted1

• Adult
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2013, 21:27:29 »
Rock on!

Offline bbtm64

• Adult
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2013, 22:18:57 »
I see you're a Deadliest Catch fan too, Twisted lol
Brent McCloskey

Offline Midwest Express

• Adult
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2013, 11:07:18 »
Will the 4 bulb T5 fixture I have be enough or too much for a tank of this depth for the corals I am wanting to put in there?
Capt. James T. Kirk

Offline Travis8896

« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2013, 11:18:56 »
You should be ok you will have some awesome par ratings I would think once you get the tank all ready you should borrow the clubs par meter to check it
"Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo

Offline Midwest Express

• Adult
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2013, 11:21:59 »
You should be ok you will have some awesome par ratings I would think once you get the tank all ready you should borrow the clubs par meter to check it

Good deal.  I was hoping it would work out just fine.  I was just afraid of it being too much light.  I ran the T5's on my 125 and everything did fine in there.  I have just been going back and forth with if I should do the work to setup this 35 as my reef or go back to my 75 that is sitting in the basement.  I love the 75's size, just not sure if I should do that or stick with this smaller tank for now.  I would have to finally skin my 75 stand that I built... that is for sure!
Capt. James T. Kirk

Offline Travis8896

« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2013, 11:34:27 »
The thing to think about is the more water volume you have the bigger the cushion you have if something goes wrong
"Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo

Offline Viggen

« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2013, 11:36:28 »
Looking good.... Only advice I have is with the skimmer.  They do work quite well actually, can be a bit finicky...... I had the best result with a larger pump.  I forget which one i used a mag7 or mag9 on mine and it performed much better vs the mag5 I started with. 
300g tub o fish

Offline Midwest Express

• Adult
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2013, 11:38:29 »
The thing to think about is the more water volume you have the bigger the cushion you have if something goes wrong

I know it man.  That is why when I setup my 125 I had a 75 and a 40 gal plummed up in the next room over for my sump.  The tank went belly up when I had to reclaim that room and I had to make a smaller sump under the tank. :-/

Think the light from just 4 T5's would be enough to keep the corals I am wanting to run with OK?  That means I will also have to drill my 75 this time around.  I am not doing overflow boxes again...
Capt. James T. Kirk

Offline Midwest Express

• Adult
« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2013, 11:39:54 »
Looking good.... Only advice I have is with the skimmer.  They do work quite well actually, can be a bit finicky...... I had the best result with a larger pump.  I forget which one i used a mag7 or mag9 on mine and it performed much better vs the mag5 I started with. 

I actually was going to get I think it was a Mag9 when I bought the new pump for it, but they had the Mag 5 on sale and I needed to throw a skimmer on my tank quickly when I had to relocate my sump to under the stand.  That Super Skimmer 220 is just so flippin tall.
Capt. James T. Kirk

Offline Travis8896

« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2013, 12:36:59 »
In a 75 gallon yes I think it would work I currently have a 4 t5 fixture on my 90. I also plan on putting leds on instead though just to get better color and growth

Offline Midwest Express

• Adult
« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2013, 12:40:00 »
I want to do an LED light setup, just didn't want to spend the money on that as of yet.  I want to get a good controller and then upgrade the lights.  I have all of my MH setup that I ran on my 75 and then my 125 before.  I wish someone would buy all of that so I can get a controller! :-D haha
Capt. James T. Kirk

Offline Midwest Express

• Adult
« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2013, 13:13:44 »
In a 75 gallon yes I think it would work I currently have a 4 t5 fixture on my 90. I also plan on putting leds on instead though just to get better color and growth

Are you going to just supplement with LED's or are you replacing your T5's all together?  Are you buying a fixture or building with a kit?
Capt. James T. Kirk

Offline Travis8896

« Reply #18 on: August 19, 2013, 14:05:50 »
Replacing all together I already have the leds but don't have the time to hang them

Offline Midwest Express

• Adult
« Reply #19 on: August 19, 2013, 14:10:41 »
Replacing all together I already have the leds but don't have the time to hang them

Did you use a kit or by a pre built fixture?

Capt. James T. Kirk

Offline Travis8896

« Reply #20 on: August 19, 2013, 15:38:13 »
Pre built off of a friend

Offline Midwest Express

• Adult
« Reply #21 on: August 19, 2013, 15:43:49 »
Nice, care if I ask how much that kit ran?  I would much rather run LED's then anything else.  I like the way the light bounces and the low amount of heat the create and power they use.  I really don't miss my dual 400w MH or 250w MH setups I used to run.  Ugh... only good in the winter!
Capt. James T. Kirk

Offline Travis8896

« Reply #22 on: August 19, 2013, 16:50:12 »
I got 2 fixtures I think they might be MS ones but I only paid $100 for both because he was getting out and sold em cheap

Offline Midwest Express

• Adult
« Reply #23 on: August 19, 2013, 18:15:29 »
I got 2 fixtures I think they might be MS ones but I only paid $100 for both because he was getting out and sold em cheap

What are you doing with your t5 ballast? Want to sell it by chance? If so, pm me a price!

Capt. James T. Kirk

Offline Travis8896

« Reply #24 on: August 19, 2013, 18:51:10 »
If my little brother doesn't buy it for his freshwater tank I'll let you know. I'm not really sure why he wants it his tank is not even planted. The t5 fixture has new bulbs as of tomorrow lol.