2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: 37g mixed reef  (Read 4290 times)

Offline jungliztkruger

• Adult
    • my other hobby...fire
37g mixed reef
« on: January 13, 2009, 01:26:37 »
I thought this might be the right place to start getting to know everyone on here.
i'm fairly new to the hobby, about a year and a half experience salt and two years fresh... started off with a small 10g fresh for my son and proved to be worth every penny as he would sit and stare at it for hours on end. what caught my interest most was going to the LFS and always seeing the colorful fish and corals so i then set up a 10g salt and lo and behold i was sitting there staring for hours on end.
i knew i was hooked.
then i started to upgrade. i went from the 10g to a 37g tall and started sine beginner corals and flourescent lights. i upgraded the lights (96w 50/50 pc) but still used hob power filters. then it was time to carpet the living room so i transferred everything to a new 55g in the bedroom. painted the back of the tank before the move and also upgraded the lighting again adding 260w pc to the 96 but still was unsatisfied. then it came time to carpet the bedroom.....

when push came to shove i decided to move everything back into the 37 but i did it a little better this time. painted the black back on this tank like the 55 (i really like the way it makes the colors pop) and retrofitted the 260w 50/50 PC inside the hood. custom built about 19g acrylic fuge/sump with blown76mav for it. there is about 80 to 90 pounds of LR in the entire setup. i have about a 4 inch sandbed in the display and 6 in the fuge. using a mag7 as the return pump and it is only running at about 60-70% flow. next upgrade is doing to be a DIY weir from acrylic so i can really open up the mag. (the tube overflow just doesnt keep up) the skimmer is a seaclone that i really want to replace with an aquac. trying to grow some macro in the sump but im starting with about a marble sized amount right now. chaeto.

will get some pics uploaded tomorrow on here for everyone to see

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
Re: 37g mixed reef
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2009, 01:43:09 »
Welcome! lOOking forward to the pictures.

Blown76mav

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2009, 22:44:03 »
Glad to see ya made it.  Welcome to the club, come on in the waters fine.  Your gonna find a lot of great people here.

Offline micki

• Best mamaw Reefer!!!
  • My munchkins! :)
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2009, 23:31:44 »
Welcome aboard!

Offline jungliztkruger

• Adult
    • my other hobby...fire
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2009, 00:13:47 »
ok so here are some pictures....
1. right before december after transferring from the 55g in the bedroom. everything is still getting settled
2&3 full frontal
4 flash off
5 flash on

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2009, 00:29:44 »
Looks like you got a little of everything in there. I like it. Especially those pink POM POM Xenia.

Offline jungliztkruger

• Adult
    • my other hobby...fire
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2009, 01:59:27 »
definitely mixed reef. i took alot of photos. here are some more. microsoft office picture is making it a pain to resize them all. especially with no mouse. but here are some more.

MechanicalEngineer

« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2009, 09:48:28 »
Looks very good!  Don't worry, that macro algae will take off!

Offline Arcade_Guy

• Juvenile
  • Centipede
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2009, 05:08:23 »
Very nice set up!

I especially like the xenia & the big frogspawn.

55 Gallon Reef - Hamilton, OH 45013

Arnold shares his deepest feelings

Offline jungliztkruger

• Adult
    • my other hobby...fire
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2009, 00:30:24 »
i really dont think that its a frogspawn... never been able to actually identify it. closest i can come up with is a mushroom. its all softie and will split sometimes. hosts the maroon clown and when i feed it it cups its edges.

thanks for the compliments

tomorrow im installing an aqua lifter on the overflow tubes to keep those unsightly air bubbles out of the tank. within a few weeks i'll be building a weir with blownmav so i can really open up my mag 7.

after doing more and more research im going to start attacking my phosphate problem. im thinking about running phosban reactor and buying about 20-30 cerith snails.

Offline jungliztkruger

• Adult
    • my other hobby...fire
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2009, 23:49:14 »
yes that is an aquac ev-180 on a 37 gallon tank.
so i've been buying equipment in getting ready to set up my 75g and after sitting there staring at the sea clone in my current setup, then seeing the ev180 sitting in the table in the other room all unused with so much potential....  i made a trip to lowes and came back and hooked it up. feels a bit like putting a nitrous kit on a geo metro lol. i plan on getting a few more pics on here as things progress towards the better, it cant get any worse after running the seaclone. i wanted to take a bat to the old thing but it would feel wrong to waste the acrylic.