2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: Woo Hoo My HUGE 30 Gallon Build  (Read 9784 times)

Offline JoeAyers

Woo Hoo My HUGE 30 Gallon Build
« on: April 26, 2010, 10:38:46 »
In the last 2.5 years I have gone from a 375 to a 240 to a 200 to a 14 BioCube.  If you are thinking about having kids.. think again.

I’m sick of the 14 and want to get back to having a real sump and room for more ‘stuff.’  Equipment, coral, rock, etc.  So I stepped up and bought a huge Oceanic 30G Cube with stand.

30 Gallon Oceanic Cube & Stand
Glass-Holes.com Nano Overflow - http://glass-holes.com/Super-Nano-con-Dientes-Overflow-Kit-nanodienteskit.htm
Glass-Holes.com ½” Return Kit
Vortech MP40W with Icecap Battery Backup (a lot of flow, but I already have it so I’m using it)
150W MH – Eventually will go LED, but that is a luxury that will come later. http://shop.aquatraders.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=54241
Mag3 return pump
Ranco Dual-stage Temp Control
Sump and Skimmer are still up in the air
Top off with Kalk and eventually add two part via a reef dosing pump

Offline JoeAyers

Re: Woo Hoo My HUGE 30 Gallon Build
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2010, 10:41:45 »
Tank as it came from Petsmart. (On sale and the last one with a small scuff on the top trim that faces the wall so Baggerhog beat them down another $45 on price for me).

I decided to order a nano overflow from Glass-holes.com. I have to say the craftsmanship is great and they provide everything you need except teflon tape, but we all have 30-60 half rolls of teflon tape anyway.  They also always include a couple of pieces of candy in the package, but my daughter grabbed those almost immediately.

The first step is to figure out where you want the overflow. I would suggest near the top somewhere, but it’s up to you. I wanted mine center back (at the top) so I measured… That’s right people my tank is 20” wide…

I then used the old eye ball measurer to get the height I wanted and marked where the overflow should go.

Glassholes provides a wooden template/guide for drilling.

I got to use one of my favorite things on earth for this project… Ductape

No pics of me actually drilling since I was by myself and I’m not coordinated enough to drill glass and snap a pic with my phone.

I also ordered a return kit from glasshole. Basically a ½” holesaw, bulkhead, lockline and street ell. I probably have all of this stuff already, but since I just moved it’s packed in one of 400 boxes that still aren’t unpacked.  So I had to drill a second hole.  Also, near the top.

It started to rain so I moved inside to start taping up the tank to spray the back and side that are against the wall.

That isn’t exactly where I stopped; I taped the rest and painted the back and sort of dry fit the overflow and return bulkhead. No pics of this since it was almost time for the kids to come home and it was raining off and on so I was taking the tank in and out as I worked.

More to come, but it may be slow. Just moved, working on both houses, unpacking and kids seem to monopolize my time. But I do need to get this done so I can move the biocube straight into it from the old house.

Offline Blown76mav

• Adult
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2010, 10:50:51 »
to bad your so far away, I have tons of black vinyl that you could have had.  It goes on easy and peels off if you change your mind.  Also have blue as well.

Looks good so far, keep us updated.

Offline JoeAyers

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2010, 11:04:36 »
to bad your so far away, I have tons of black vinyl that you could have had.  It goes on easy and peels off if you change your mind.  Also have blue as well.

Looks good so far, keep us updated.

Thanks.  I've already painted it black. It needs to be touched up cause it started to rain after the second coat and I had to move it back inside and I was to impatient to wait for the next day so I pulled off the paint and continued to play with it.

You don't happen to know anyone that could build me a small custom sump do you? :)

Offline stickboy_107

• Adult
  • GIVE ME ONE OF EVERYTHING [just dont tell my wife]
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2010, 11:22:58 »
That's why I waited till after I had kids and they are almost grown before I got mine. The tank looks real nice, can't wait to see this build come along.

Offline Blown76mav

• Adult
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2010, 11:36:10 »
Thanks.  I've already painted it black. It needs to be touched up cause it started to rain after the second coat and I had to move it back inside and I was to impatient to wait for the next day so I pulled off the paint and continued to play with it.

You don't happen to know anyone that could build me a small custom sump do you? :)

Sure send me the demensions.

Offline jd

• Dr. Skimmer
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2010, 14:26:27 »
Looking Great Joe!

I was thinking about making an overflow box like theirs, how does that baffle inside of the box work?
Call me Mr. Rev. Dr.

Offline JoeAyers

« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2010, 14:50:40 »
Looking Great Joe!

I was thinking about making an overflow box like theirs, how does that baffle inside of the box work?

Here is my crude drawing of what it would look like if I cut off the front of the box.  The water has to flow to the ends of the box then under the baffles to get to the bulkhead.

Offline jd

• Dr. Skimmer
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2010, 14:52:16 »
So its like and upside down U that just slips in-place? Thanks for the drawing. I better fire up the bandsaw...
Call me Mr. Rev. Dr.

Offline HUNGER

« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2010, 15:43:15 »
looken good
SIZE DOES MATTER

Offline JoeAyers

« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2010, 15:52:56 »
So its like and upside down U that just slips in-place? Thanks for the drawing. I better fire up the bandsaw...

The sides of the U are glued in to keep them in place. The top is removable to tighten up the bulkhead. It is a very tight fit on the piece that is removable.

Joe

Offline jd

• Dr. Skimmer
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2010, 16:42:32 »
The sides of the U are glued in to keep them in place. The top is removable to tighten up the bulkhead. It is a very tight fit on the piece that is removable.

Joe

Great, thanks a ton Joe.
Call me Mr. Rev. Dr.

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2010, 18:18:10 »
Looks great Joe, how did you like the glass hole kit? I was thinking about getting one. I like the way they are removable for cleaning.

Offline cyberwollf

• 2010 FragSwap Chairman
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2010, 19:33:44 »
so Baggerhog beat them down another $45 on price for me).

I believe it! :) if there is one thing Andy is good at, it is talking people out of their money :)
75G Mixed Reef w/ 30G sump/refuge

Electrical Engineers do it on impulse, with faster rise times, with more power, and less resistance at higher frequencies, without shorts, until it Hertz

Offline Baggerhog

• Adult
« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2010, 20:12:55 »
I believe it! :) if there is one thing Andy is good at, it is talking people out of their money :)

I am not sure how to take that, btw Wes can you send me some money?
Andy
Batavia, Ohio
500 Reef with 320 gallon sump setup

Offline cyberwollf

• 2010 FragSwap Chairman
« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2010, 21:15:46 »
I am not sure how to take that, btw Wes can you send me some money?

How much?  ;D
75G Mixed Reef w/ 30G sump/refuge

Electrical Engineers do it on impulse, with faster rise times, with more power, and less resistance at higher frequencies, without shorts, until it Hertz

Offline JoeAyers

« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2010, 07:37:16 »
Looks great Joe, how did you like the glass hole kit? I was thinking about getting one. I like the way they are removable for cleaning.

Very nice. Tight against the glass, take up very little room in the tank. You'll need to put a union right after the threaded 90 to take it apart. You sort of use the 90 to help screw the bulkhead together.

Offline JoeAyers

« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2010, 07:39:16 »

I've told him he needs to start a little website where he acts as a personal buyer for people on major purchases. I would say in the last three months alone he's saved me $6-8,000 on two vehichle purchases (and the aquarium :))

Offline JoeAyers

« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2010, 08:41:07 »
Update.  Here are the pics of it painted. It needs to be touched up in spots but looks pretty good.

Pics of the overflow in the tank.

When I got home from work at 10p my light was waiting on the front porch for me. It’s the $99 special from Aquatraders.com. I know they sometimes get a bad rap for quality, but I’ve had their PCs on freshwater tanks when they were sold as Jebo.  They were a little flimsy but always worked well for me. This light is actually very solid. And ‘feels’ nicer that the Current USA Orbit that I had on the 14 Biocube. The feet are a lot nicer as they actually screw on so once you have them adjusted they will stay where you want them.  I’ll probably try to get it fired up in the next day or so, so I can see what kind of light they put out, but here are pics of it temporarily sitting on the tank.

Offline Reefinmike

• was Illnino
« Reply #19 on: April 27, 2010, 09:56:13 »
tank looks like a great size for a nano, I too find it much more fun to have a tank you can have some equipment on, rather than having a self contained biocube. I find myself looking in and playing with my fuge much more than my main tank. Let me play the devil's advocate for a little- be careful with the holes you drilled. It looks like you had a blowout on one of the holes(not a perfectly clean cut). It should be fine, but I would fill it in a garage or something and check for small cracks. Also, I too have had great success with the aquatraders PC lights. I had one of their MH lights , and one day out of nowhere, the ballast started smoking like crazy, and would have surely started a fire if I had not been around.

Offline JoeAyers

« Reply #20 on: April 27, 2010, 10:30:42 »
tank looks like a great size for a nano, I too find it much more fun to have a tank you can have some equipment on, rather than having a self contained biocube. I find myself looking in and playing with my fuge much more than my main tank. Let me play the devil's advocate for a little- be careful with the holes you drilled. It looks like you had a blowout on one of the holes(not a perfectly clean cut). It should be fine, but I would fill it in a garage or something and check for small cracks. Also, I too have had great success with the aquatraders PC lights. I had one of their MH lights , and one day out of nowhere, the ballast started smoking like crazy, and would have surely started a fire if I had not been around.

Thanks. I've drilled about 200 holes in tanks so I'm confident it will be fine. Did the ballast get wet?  Even the worst wiring jobs I've seen don't just suddently smoke without some type of accelerant/issue. Seems odd that it worked fine then suddenly started smoking.

Offline HUNGER

« Reply #21 on: April 27, 2010, 14:53:51 »
looken good the over flow looks great
SIZE DOES MATTER

Offline JoeAyers

« Reply #22 on: April 29, 2010, 11:35:23 »
Flipped the light on and put in the big ace rock Andy gave me. It will actually be flipped over in the final set up, but you can get a general idea. The actual color of the light is less blue than the picture shows. I really like it. Hopefully it’ll be strong enough for coral.

The rock is currently sitting in my water change barrel full of bleach and water.  I’m going to let it soak until Friday then start changing the water in the barrel every day for a week or so. I’m hoping to have saltwater in the tank next weekend.

Next up is figure out exactly what I’m going to do about the sump. Once I have it I’ll be ready to plumb.

Offline Baggerhog

• Adult
« Reply #23 on: April 29, 2010, 11:40:41 »
let me know if you need any help doing all that plumbing I will come over and help out.  ;Dl I have plenty of pvc and glue we can hard plumb everything. I have an extra snapper laying around if you want to borrow it for your tank?
Andy
Batavia, Ohio

Offline Baggerhog

• Adult
« Reply #24 on: April 29, 2010, 11:42:29 »
So what kind of corals and fish are you planning?
Andy
Batavia, Ohio