2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: Elbow Reef, Carysfort Reef and Dry Rocks (Key Largo) 2009 reef pics  (Read 7790 times)

Offline aquavista99

I just returned from Florida again. Spent most of my time on the Gulf side (Siesta Key/Sarasota) but did make another trip to Key Largo and visited three reefs. We stayed at Marina Del Mar while in Key Largo, which is a popular resort for divers. At all three reefs, I photographed elkhorn coral, which is endangered. It was good to see new, small colonies of elkhorn appearing on the reefs in Key Largo as well.  Carysfort Reef is famous for elkhorn coral gardens which makes this reef a highly attractive location. I visited Christ of the Deep again this year and saw some very large grouper and sea squid. I will post a few pictures of my most recent trip now.

Various reef pics from Elbow Reef, Carysfort Reef and Dry Rocks photographed by Aquavista99 on 6/10/09

Offline aquavista99

More pics from 6/10/09 photographed by Aquavista99

Offline aquavista99

More pics from 6/10/09 photographed by Aquavista99

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
Thanks for sharing Tim, the pictures came out amazing. Never knew we had such nice reefs states-side.

Offline aquavista99

Thanks for sharing Tim, the pictures came out amazing. Never knew we had such nice reefs states-side.

Thanks for the compliments, Lazylivin! Here are a few more pictures from my 6/10/09 trip to various reefs around Key Largo. Note: all the reefs I visited are about 6 to 8 miles off shore from Key Largo.

Offline aquavista99

A few more pictures from my 6/10/09 trip to various reefs around Key Largo.

Offline aquavista99

Just a few more pictures from my trip on 6/10/09

What type of worm is this on the sea fan???

Offline micki

• Best mamaw Reefer!!!
  • My munchkins! :)
WOW very cool!  Thanks for sharing!

Offline verper

Best pictures yet Tim.  You're getting pretty good at it!

Offline jd

• Dr. Skimmer
I think I saw a bristleworm! GET HIM!

AWESOME picture. The last two are great
Call me Mr. Rev. Dr.

Offline aquavista99

WOW very cool!  Thanks for sharing!

No problem. I will post some more pictures from Key Largo soon!

Offline aquavista99

Best pictures yet Tim.  You're getting pretty good at it!

Thanks for the compliment, Scott! The weather also plays a big role in how the pictures turn out as well, but like anything else, the more practice you get, improvements usually follow. Here are a few of the new elkhorn colonies I photographed around Key Largo. It is a good sign to see these endangered corals form new colonies.

Larger elkhorn colony

Blown76mav

Love the pics.  Heading to Florida in August maybe I can talk the family into a side trip for some diving. ;D

Offline aquavista99

I think I saw a bristleworm! GET HIM!

AWESOME picture. The last two are great

Glad you enjoyed the pictures, jd!

Offline aquavista99

Love the pics.  Heading to Florida in August maybe I can talk the family into a side trip for some diving. ;D

Your family would love the Keys, Lonnie!

bigfalcon36

Sweet pics!  I have been to that statue, it was 7 years ago. 

Bring back any frags?  ;)

Very nice!

Offline aquavista99

No frags but lots of breathtaking underwater views :)

Sweet pics!  I have been to that statue, it was 7 years ago. 

Bring back any frags?  ;)

Very nice!

Offline aquavista99

A few more pictures from my trip.

Offline aquavista99

As previously stated, we spent most of this trip on the Gulf side around Siesta Key which is near Sarasota and about 1 hour South of Tampa.  I saw a lot of red mangroves on Crescent Beach and really enjoyed Turtle Beach and Siesta Key Beach as well. Very nice area. Here are a few pictures from Siesta Key (Gulf side).

Offline aquavista99

Best pictures yet Tim.  You're getting pretty good at it!

What makes the pictures even more impressive is that I photographed all the corals and fish by free diving/snorkeling. I have my own snorkel gear now and can dive pretty deep to get some really neat pictures, but to date, I am still not scuba certified. It is so much harder to photograph fish while snorkeling because they don't stay still and at some point you have to return to the surface for air. My goal is to become scuba certified at some point.

I photographed a scuba diver behind the Christ of the Deep Statute below.

« Last Edit: June 16, 2009, 22:01:18 by aquavista99 »

Offline aquavista99

A few more elkhorn coral pictures from my trip. A lot of small reef fish call these corals home.

Offline aquavista99

Turtle Beach (Siesta Key)

Offline Hunter21

• Adult
those pictures are awesome, that one picture of the worm looked like a fireworm or something!! LOL  :)
Erin

Offline micki

• Best mamaw Reefer!!!
  • My munchkins! :)
LOL love the van!  :)  My 6 year old Granddaughter loves "slug Bugs" I'll have to show her this pic.  I'm sure she will love it!  :)

Offline reefkeeper

• Juvenile
Great photos!!  My wife and I and our two teenagers are heading to the Keys in a few weeks.  We are staying in Key West for 5 days and Marathon for 5 days.  We plan to do some snorkeling at least twice (maybe three times if I can talk them into it).  Can you give me suggestions on the best places for snorkeling, preferred dive companies/trips, and any other things to see/do?  Also, what kind of camera do you use to get the nice underwater photos?  Thanks -Jeff
Jeff
120g baby reef w/ 55g refug
Penn State & Steelers Fan

Offline aquavista99

Great photos!!  My wife and I and our two teenagers are heading to the Keys in a few weeks.  We are staying in Key West for 5 days and Marathon for 5 days.  We plan to do some snorkeling at least twice (maybe three times if I can talk them into it).  Can you give me suggestions on the best places for snorkeling, preferred dive companies/trips, and any other things to see/do?  Also, what kind of camera do you use to get the nice underwater photos?  Thanks -Jeff

There are several snorkel trips offered daily in Marathon and Key Largo. Once you get down there, you will see signs for all the snorkel places. Key Diver (see link below) offers the best deal for under $40 per person. Trip starts at 12:00 and returns at 5pm and you get to visit three different reefs with approx. 2 hours in the water. The above pictures are from just one snorkel trip with Key Divers in Key Largo. I also posted pictures in the Natural Reef Photos forum from my trip to Marathon Key last year. If the weather is good, book a trip to Sombrero Reef. You will have several snorkel companies to select from in Marathon.....each trip is about $30 per person. You can also book a trip from Key West to Dry Tortugas, but the boat ride is about 5 hours round trip with lunch provided. You can visit Fort Jefferson and snorkel coral reefs 20 yards from the beach. Dry Tortugas is about 30 minutes North of Cuba but still in the USA. You can also book trips with dive boats on just about every Key.

My camera is an Olympus Stylus 1030 SW  point & shoot underwater camera....looks just like most digital cameras and can be used above water, at the beach and in the snow (ski trips/colder temps, etc.) as well. It is waterproof down to 33 ft and shock proof. 10.1mega pixel.

Links:

Sombrero Reef (Marathon)
http://www.divespots.com/scuba/spotID-36/view.divespot

Elbow Reef (Key Largo)

http://www.divespots.com/scuba/view.divespot?spotID=71

Dry Rocks (Key Largo)

http://www.divespots.com/scuba/view.divespot?spotID=77

http://www.flkeysgc.com/Dive_Pics/UpDryRocks1.html

Dry Tortugas (snorkel tour from Key West to Dry Tortugas)

http://www.yankeefreedom.com/?gclid=CPed-7Ddl5sCFVpM5Qod1DTVpA

Key Diver snorkel tours   (Key Largo)

http://www.keysdiver.com/

For the best beach in the Keys (some rank it one of the best beaches in the World), go to Bahia Honda State Park (17 miles South of Marathon)

http://www.floridakeys.com/lowerkeys/bahiahonda.htm

Offline aquavista99

Re: Elbow Reef, Carysfort Reef and Dry Rocks (Key Largo) 2009 reef pics
« Reply #26 on: August 28, 2009, 21:22:47 »
Key Largo from above the water (from the hotel to the reef) pictures

« Last Edit: August 28, 2009, 21:41:08 by aquavista99 »

Offline aquavista99

« Reply #27 on: August 28, 2009, 21:28:47 »

Offline aquavista99

« Reply #28 on: August 28, 2009, 21:32:23 »

« Last Edit: August 28, 2009, 21:36:03 by aquavista99 »

Reefd Up

« Reply #29 on: August 28, 2009, 21:49:54 »
I see how it is...taking pictures of cuttlefish to show off!

Offline Rayman

• Adult
« Reply #30 on: January 19, 2010, 17:33:52 »
amazing thanks for sharing all the info and pictures.