2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: Dino’s: What a pain  (Read 3220 times)

Offline SweetReefOH

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Adult
Dino’s: What a pain
« on: February 16, 2019, 11:51:18 »
I’ve never had these until I got some macro algae for my 40 a while ago. Dino’s exploded in my tank. I managed to beat them back with manual siphoning and nutrient control. A couple weeks ago I added a fairly large rock to the tank to give a few corals higher PAR and bam, I was hit with a crazy Dino explosion again. I know the love fresh surfaces and that there are different kinds of Dino’s and mine appear to be the kind that are killed with peroxide. I tried this method a year ago and it worked but it also killed some corals. So, my question is, would a UV sterilizer be a good tool to eliminate the Dino’s since they are bacteria??

Offline Humphrey

• Adult
Re: Dino’s: What a pain
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2019, 18:49:20 »
UV works on some varieties. Increased ph works on some as well. Fought them a few years ago with everything under the sun. Dinox, hydrogen dioxide dosing etc.  I finally beat them with a 3 day blackout combined with Kalkwasser dosing to increase the ph.

Covered the tank with paper for a complete blackout.

Offline SweetReefOH

• Adult
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2019, 19:14:40 »
Did you ever try a UV sterilizer?

Offline Humphrey

• Adult
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2019, 19:22:20 »
Nope on personally used UV.   I saw a video where Sanjay and Palettea had success with the UV as basis to suggest it. It was an American reef video. I think Sanjay’s montipora update video.

He used the Jebao UV and it was gone right away.  Should be on YouTube.

There is an extensive reef2reef thread on Dino’s.  Tons of information there as well but lots to sift through as to types if Dino’s, etc.  Jim

Offline SweetReefOH

• Adult
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2019, 21:08:50 »
Thank Humphrey. I’ve read quite a bit of the R2R threads. That’s why I posted this thread. Just to see if anyone had experience with it. I’ll check YouTube. Thanks again, it may be worth the investment.

Offline dbjonesjr

• Adult
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2019, 22:21:21 »
According to most people there is an infinite amount of solutions to cure this problem. If I was you I'd start with whatever is quickest and cheapest and continue trying new things until it goes away. Heavy feeding and higher nutrients worked well for me but there are tanks with high phosphates and nitrates that still have a problem. I wish you luck.

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2019, 00:39:24 »
Your right, Dino,s Suck!  there is a constant war going on over all the surfaces in our tanks and Dino’s seem to take hold of new ones. Whenever I tied a new tank on to system never fails it would eventually get Dino’s. My frag racks would get covered in coraline, coral overgrowth so I would take them out and clean them in acid or replace them and quite often it would break out with Dino’s after a couple weeks of being in tank. I have one of my 3 tanks in system right now that has them. I plan to clean it up tomorrow. PIA. Manual clean up followed by a major increase in flow works well for me.  Sometimes that isn’t enough and I have to add H202 but I don’t like to because it is hard on zoas. Coral hates the Dino’s and those in around it always seem to go down hill.

Offline ghurlag

• Adult
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2019, 12:02:52 »
My 10g nano appears to be dealing with dinos now.  Brown slime and tons of air bubbles.  Going in to blackout mode, added more chemipure and will do a major scrub and water change over the weekend.  I forgot how bad a new tank can be sometimes...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline dbjonesjr

• Adult
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2019, 12:17:53 »
Be careful! Cleaning a tank up and reducing nutrients have spurred them on for me.

Offline ghurlag

• Adult
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2019, 12:28:34 »
Be careful! Cleaning a tank up and reducing nutrients have spurred them on for me.
Yeah, it seems like there’s not a lot you can do.  I’d be happy to just ride it out if there is hope things will eventually balance.  I’m not in any hurry at this point.  I just have some inverts, a firefish and two corals to keep alive.  I’m going to leave the rock and sand alone, hit the glass, change the water, and see what that gets me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline SweetReefOH

• Adult
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2019, 16:07:15 »
There’s a good thread on R2R about Dino’s. I will tell you, both times that I have had them it was a result of bottoming out my phosphate. As soon as I would raise the PO4, they would go away. They will also pop up when you put something new in the tank like dry rock, a new frag rack, etc.

Offline Warhawk937

• Adult
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2019, 19:46:37 »
Battling dinos and need a little advice. I have hooked up the uv sterilizer, stopped water changes and started first dose of vibrant and micro bacter 7. in hope of increasing the bacteria that i want to out compete the dinos. my nitrates have remained steady at 10ppm for the last month and corals are looking great. but my phosphate is dropping fast. down to 3ppb or .01ppm should i dose phos or let them choke the dinos out?????

Offline SweetReefOH

• Adult
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2019, 19:58:37 »
My experience is that Dino’s thrive in either low phosphate, low nitrate or both. I would dose NeoPhos up to .05 if it were my tank.

Adding Vibrant and microbacter will make it hard to maintain PO4 & NO3.

Offline wallbass05

• Fry
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2019, 21:02:03 »
I just got over it about a month ago..I turned down the blues to 50% and whites to 1% on my ocean revives. Ran lights for about 5 hours a day to keep corals happy....got about 12 turbo snails. And by fish and them did work...went away on walls and floor bottom in 1 week