2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: Calcium problems still  (Read 5218 times)

Offline Riderc82

• Adult
Calcium problems still
« on: February 16, 2009, 00:05:52 »
Ok I'm still fighting my calcium levels, I did a 40 gallon water change two weeks ago with RSCP I tested the makeup water and it tested 450 PPM.  After the water change the water in my aquarium tested 320 PPM (I waited till the next day to test), I have since been adding 160 ML of calcium and alkalinity, 80 Ml in the morning and 80 Ml at night.  I tested it two days ago and the calcium was back down to 300 PPM I just tested it twice and now I am at a whopping 265 PPM.  I don't understand where all the calcium is going it doesn't seem to be precipitating I don't have any on my heaters or other equipment.  I'm so frustrated at this point there is no possible way I should be using half this much calcium, I have a total of 8 SPS frags and three decent sized caps in a 90 gallon with a 29 gallon sump (about half full).  I am using BRS for my two part any suggestions or solutions to all my problems would be greatly appreciated.

Offline Riderc82

• Adult
Re: Calcium problems still
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2009, 00:43:59 »
Well I just tested my PH and it is at 8.4 and my ALK is now reading high at 3.6 on the Red Sea test kit so it looks like I need to stop adding ALK for a few days and see if I can get it lowered and then I should be able to get these calcium numbers up hopefully.

Offline Logzor

• Juvenile
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2009, 00:57:45 »
I would like to know how the kent tech two part compares to the BRS two part in concentration. I run a 90g reef pretty heavily stocked with sps and only dose 60ml a day and I top off with fully saturated limewater.

Offline Riderc82

• Adult
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2009, 01:24:21 »
I don't have a clue on that one, when I first started the 90 I used Two Fishes and never had any problems (except price) but I would imagine 10x more people use BRS than Two Fishes.  I just finished my Magnesium test it's at 1200.  Logzor when I asked about my calcium levels last time Reef'd up (Nicki) said she uses BRS and she uses half or less the amount of two part as I am but yet she has 10x the amount of SPS as I do.  I am clueless on where my calcium is going I may have to check the floor behind my aquarium  ;D

Offline Joel

• Adult
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2009, 07:09:38 »
My experience with the red sea ALK test is it reads low, med and high. It is not very accurate. It may be a consideration to re test your alk with a better test kit such of Salifert just to compare. Ditto for your CA level, just to be on the safe side, test it with another test kit just to verify it's accuracy.

Infrequently are Equal parts of carbonates and calcium needed to be added to aquariums, They should be tested for and supplemented accordingly. If you have been adding equal parts and were only testing calcium, easily your alk could end up excessively high. (or vise versa) But in the case of a excessively high ALK and the continued adding of carbonates and calcium, your calcium easily can precipitate out of the solution. Normally, but not always, there are physical indicators of this.

Your welcome to bring in a sample and we can double test your water to see if we can find any differences.

Offline Riderc82

• Adult
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2009, 13:03:26 »
I think I may take you up on that one Joel all the test kits were purchased from you anyways so I don't feel as bad.  Another reason to support your LFS thanks Joel

Offline Joel

• Adult
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2009, 18:53:17 »
I think I may take you up on that one Joel all the test kits were purchased from you anyways so I don't feel as bad.  Another reason to support your LFS thanks Joel

If you bought the test kits from me, certainly they are accurate. :D

Let me know when you will be coming by and I'll try and be there.

Offline Riderc82

• Adult
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2009, 19:01:31 »
I must admit you warned me about the Red Sea Test Kits....

Offline Joel

• Adult
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2009, 19:04:21 »
I must admit you warned me about the Red Sea Test Kits....

And what have you learned? :D

Offline Riderc82

• Adult
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2009, 19:11:53 »
Nothing in this hobby is cheap  :'(

Offline Joel

• Adult
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2009, 19:16:24 »
Nothing in this hobby is cheap  :'(

No, that I'm always right.....ha!!!!!!

Offline aquavista99

« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2009, 21:38:37 »
I don't have a clue on that one, when I first started the 90 I used Two Fishes and never had any problems (except price) but I would imagine 10x more people use BRS than Two Fishes.  I just finished my Magnesium test it's at 1200.  Logzor when I asked about my calcium levels last time Reef'd up (Nicki) said she uses BRS and she uses half or less the amount of two part as I am but yet she has 10x the amount of SPS as I do.  I am clueless on where my calcium is going I may have to check the floor behind my aquarium  ;D

I always had really good luck with C-Balance (Two Little Fishes). If you buy the one gallon concentrate containers, it is pretty cheap (under $30) for the results you get. I know Bulk Reef Supply is much cheaper, but I have always been very happy with C-Balance. The key to maintain calcium is making sure you get your levels up initially, then try to maintain it with daily dosing until you figure out the total demand your system requires to keep your corals happy.

Offline Riderc82

• Adult
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2009, 20:07:34 »
Does anyone know the difference between C-Balance and Bulk Reef Supplies two part systems?  C-Balance advertises it has major and minor trace elements?  Also has anyone had problems with the BRS 2-part?  After speaking with Joel regarding my calcium levels I've decided to give Kalkwasser a try again.

MechanicalEngineer

« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2009, 07:36:22 »
I've used the BRS 2-part for about a year now...LOOOVE it!  It's inexpensive, very pure, and easy to use.  I've never used the C-Balance, but adding things for which I can't test makes me nervous. 

Be careful about buying the 2-part supplements from most places.  There were problems with the magnesium chloride and the calcium chloride having excess ammonia and boron (can't remember which had which problem) when the manufacturing changed.  BRS bought a ton before the manufacturing changed, so it should be completely safe.

Anyway, the alkalinity part is just baked or unbaked (depends what you need) baking soda - sodium (bi)carbonate.  The calcium part is ice-melt (white ball kind) - calcium chloride (make sure it's purified).  The magnesium has two parts, magnesium sulfate (epsom salts) and magnesium chloride (Mag-Flake).  I wouldn't buy the CaCl2 or the MgCl2 from anywhere that doesn't recommend its use in aquarium...and check the purity.  Otherwise, you can use the baking soda and epsom salts to make your own.  :)

Offline verper

« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2009, 07:48:09 »
Remember, Alk, Calc, and Mag all have a relationship together in your tank.  Too much Alk will artificially suppress your Calc (and visa versa).  Not enough Mag will do the same thing.  Are you sure your mixes are made with the correct ratio of ingredients? 

Offline Riderc82

• Adult
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2009, 15:02:45 »
I printed recipe #1 and followed it to a tee off of BRS website and I have gone through three gallons in the past 4 months I would guess.  I always put in the calcium slowly by hand using a glass measure cup (with graduations) and then follow that up with the alk portion.  I pour the calcium and alk right into a koralia 4.  Yesterday Joel measure my calcium at 300 PPM and the alk wa 3.89 meg/L or 10.3 dkh my mag level is 1300. I have no signs or precipitation, the sand bed isn't clumpy and my heaters don't have any coating I cleaned them about 3 weeks ago when I cleaned up the sump.  If anyone has any ideas shoot them this way I'm all ears. 

Offline Riderc82

• Adult
« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2009, 15:52:37 »
everything tested the same as yesterday my PH is at 8.2 the lights have been off since 11 P.M. last night and will be turning on in 15 minutes.  How would I go about testing the calcium straight out of the bottle?  I'm so confused I have read about all I could about the relationship between calcium/alk/mag/ph that is out there and nothing explains my problem.  I'm not going to do anymore water changes until I get my calcium up to at least 400.  I think at this point I just about need a new hobby or I need to start over from scratch.

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2009, 16:01:36 »
Since you have had a reliable source validate your calcium levels, Its safe to say that something in the aquarium is depleting it very rapidly. I personal would add more. Not Alk or Mag obviously the daily dose you are doing is just fine.
Just curious, you don't happen to have a huge clam or anything very large that you think could be absorbing that much calcium?

Offline verper

« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2009, 19:01:21 »
I agree with Lazy.  Cut back on the alk by 1/2 for a few days but keep the calcium at the same dose.  See if that doesn't bring it around.  There is a Alk/calc calculator that will tell you what one should be in relationship to the other.  You do not have to get them exact by any means.  Close is good enough.

http://home.comcast.net/~jdieck1/chem_calc3.html

Offline Riderc82

• Adult
« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2009, 19:52:29 »
Thanks for the replies I have a clam but it is only about 4 inches long.  I talked to the wife about taking down the tank or starting over in a couple of months and she said she "loved" the aquarium so I guess I'm in for the long haul now.  So my new goals are to get the calcium levels up and possible change out the sand so I can up my flow a little.  Verper I appreciate the link and I will try dosing 250 Ml of calcium and continue dosing the alk at the same rate (160 Ml) I have been doing 160 Ml of calcium/alk.

Offline Riderc82

• Adult
« Reply #20 on: February 26, 2009, 18:27:44 »
Well I have finally got my calcium levels up since the last post I tested it twice in a row and I'm at 400  ;D and Alk is at 10.1 Dkh.  Since the 22nd I have been adding 300 Ml of calcium 100 Ml of Alk. so in the last five days I have added 1500 Ml of calcium and 500 Ml of Alk, but my calcium levels have risen from 300 to 400 and my Alk has dropped from 10.3 to 10.1.  So now my question is should I try 200 Ml of calcium (100 Ml a day drop compared to the last five days) a day and continue to add 100 Ml of alk a day and see where I'm at in a couple of days until I find the point where everything will remain stable?  I'm worried if I continue adding 300 Ml a day of calcium I'm going to get my calcium levels up to high and then have a snow storm.  Thanks again for the suggestions Lazyreef and Verper and thanks Joel for verifying I'm not crazy.

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #21 on: February 26, 2009, 18:35:12 »
I agree with you on staying at 100ml's of Alk for now and retest in a couple of days. Calcium try 275 and see what it is the next day. My guess is your maintenance dose is going to be in the neighborhood of 250-275. How is Mag? Do you not have to dose that at all?

Offline Riderc82

• Adult
« Reply #22 on: February 26, 2009, 19:28:47 »
I have been dosing the 20 Oz of mag that Bulk Reef Supply suggest, every time I get near the bottom of the bottle of  calcium. I spread it the doses over a couple of days instead of just dumping in 20 oz at once time.  My mag levels seem to stay pretty consistent but I don't test it that often but the lowest I have seen it is at 1200.  I just purchased all new test kits so I'm going to start testing all parameters at least once a week since I want to have an SPS dominated system in the future.  I'm hoping my system starts taking off. about 6 months ago I discovered my aquarium was running at about 87-89 degrees, it seems silly but the cheap Coralife digital thermometer was off by 10 degrees I had two thermometers but I had taken out the glass floating thermometer because I got tired of hearing it tap the glass.  So if anyone has one you may want to test it using the same method the health department does.  All you have to do is fill a glass with ice cubes and water then stir the ice water and let it sit for a couple of minutes.  At this point all you need to do is put the probe in the ice water and it should read 32 degrees.   

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #23 on: February 27, 2009, 08:20:13 »
+1 with ice and water. Works great.
BTW: MarineDepot has ACjr's for 129$
Neptune Systems AquaController Jr with Serial Port + Temperature Probe. Then you can add PH probe from BRS for 29$

Offline ohioreef

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Founding Member
« Reply #24 on: February 27, 2009, 12:06:10 »
BTW: MarineDepot has ACjr's for 129$
Neptune Systems AquaController Jr with Serial Port + Temperature Probe. Then you can add PH probe from BRS for 29$

That does not include the outlet module, it is the control head and temp probe only. It is $225 with the control head, temp sensor and the 8 outlet DC8 module.

Offline Amstar

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Adult
« Reply #25 on: February 27, 2009, 12:32:12 »
I use a ranco dual temp controller to monitor my temp as well as a glass thermometer

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #26 on: February 27, 2009, 14:25:21 »
That does not include the outlet module, it is the control head and temp probe only. It is $225 with the control head, temp sensor and the 8 outlet DC8 module.

Oh Okay, thought that was pretty cheap. Thanks

Offline Riderc82

• Adult
« Reply #27 on: March 12, 2009, 00:03:22 »
I need to take some pictures since I've got my levels where they need to be calcium is now at 400 and alk is at 9.6, my caps have taken off I think they have grown more in the last two weeks than they have in the last two months.  My daily dosage is 250 Ml of calcium and 100 Ml of Alk, I'm going through the calcium and alk like water but if the growth continues I will be fine with dosing that much. 

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #28 on: March 12, 2009, 02:47:19 »
That is fantastic. Looking forward to the pictures

MechanicalEngineer

« Reply #29 on: March 12, 2009, 16:18:45 »
Keep testing your parameters.  Usually once I think all of my levels are just right and everything is happy...the corals take off in growth, and my levels hit rock bottom.