2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: Standard Refractimeter & Cali Solution  (Read 880 times)

Offline SweetReefOH

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Adult
Standard Refractimeter & Cali Solution
« on: October 08, 2019, 13:21:17 »
I was thinking about salinity today and how the salinity increases when your tank temperature increases. That leads me to the calibration fluid. If your calibration fluid is at room temperature (71 degrees) and you calibrate your refractometer to that, does that effect the tank water reading at 78 degrees? My Refractometer is ATC so I’m guessing it isn’t an issue but wanted thoughts on it
« Last Edit: October 08, 2019, 14:26:55 by Reeferntraining »

Offline Wall_Tank

• Administrator
  • Adult
Re: Standard Refractimeter & Cali Solution
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2019, 18:52:45 »
That's a loaded question.   I normalize my solution to tank temperature before calibration.   But i also have a Milwaukee digital refractometer that I use.

But in general, I don't think it matters much, use method, then just try to keep your salinity constant like any other parameter.   As long as you plan to run middle of the range, you'll be fine.

Offline SweetReefOH

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Adult
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2019, 19:52:52 »
Thanks Paul. I will float my solution tomorrow and see how far it’s off, if at all. But that was precisely what I was looking for. If anyone matches their solution to tank temp.
That's a loaded question.   I normalize my solution to tank temperature before calibration.   But i also have a Milwaukee digital refractometer that I use.

But in general, I don't think it matters much, use method, then just try to keep your salinity constant like any other parameter.   As long as you plan to run middle of the range, you'll be fine.

Offline Wall_Tank

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2019, 20:40:01 »
As I said, I don’t think it really matters as long as you keep things stable. I used to use 0 tds  water to calibrate.....never had an issue.