2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: green slimmer's requirements  (Read 2949 times)

Offline CoralBeauties

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Adult
green slimmer's requirements
« on: July 15, 2008, 17:47:55 »
I have a piece of green slimmer that I am trying to revive.  It seems to have turned a pale green and hasnt put on much growth at all.  Where does this coral fall in the way of lighting requirements?
Thanks
Jeff

Offline Riderc82

• Adult
Re: green slimmer's requirements
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2008, 18:56:13 »
I bought a frag several months ago and it is doing great, my frag sits about eight inches from the surface of the water. My 175 Watt E-bay lamps sit about 4 inches above the surface of the water.

MechanicalEngineer

« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2008, 20:06:39 »
Unfortunately, the term, "green slimer" may refer to may different species of Acropora...any of which are green and tend to slime a lot.  The different species generally have different requirements, and they also vary by where they were collected.  Without knowing the species, collection site, or the environment it came from, it comes down to the basic fact that it's an Acropora.  Generally they require high lighting.  Since you've mentioned that it's bleaching, it could be from many things...including too much light.  Try moving it down in the tank.  If this does not help, you might want to try posting the rest of your tank stats and husbandry practices to help us diagnose.  Pictures are also great.

FWIW, my "green slimer" sits about 6" under a 150W MH. 

Offline Riderc82

• Adult
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2008, 21:01:19 »
http://www.ohioreef.com/forum/index.php?topic=3119.msg25670#msg25670     Here's his tank build looks like he has 7 overdriven t5's.

Offline CoralBeauties

• Adult
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2008, 06:17:56 »
It isnt bleaching out it has just faded to a lighter green.  How long will you give a coral in a new position in the tank to see if the color improves or it will polpy out more.  Wasnt sure if I move it how long to wait to see if it will improve in the new location.
thanks
Jeff

Offline MSUJenn

• Juvenile
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2008, 06:41:02 »
My "green slimer" turned brown too, due to nutrients in my tank. Now that I have the nutrient problem under control, it is slowly bringing back its color. Also, other corals that I bought in the past that were brown have started coloring up too. Maybe if you give it enough time in a high light/high flow area. Good luck, I hope it colors back up for you.

MechanicalEngineer

« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2008, 19:24:11 »
If it's pale green, it means it doesn't have as much zooxanthellae as it did.  Most corals in the wild are a brownish color--the color of zooxanthellae.  Generally, the more brown a coral is, the healthier it is, and the faster it will grow.  Granted, they aren't as "pretty", so we don't keep our corals as brown.

Most corals will lose zooxanthellae in high intensity light or other stressful situations as an emergency function.  Since green slimers *slime* a lot under stress, many times they will lose some zooxanthellae at the same time.  The best thing to do is to keep it in a low-stress environment.  Don't keep moving it around or touch it...and leave it in a lower light area for about a week for it to adapt.  Slowly start to move it up in your tank as it starts to look healthier.  After a month or so, I would find it a permanent home...but until then, I wouldn't touch it more than once a week or so. 

Offline CoralBeauties

• Adult
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2008, 20:28:29 »
Thanks all.  I will move the piece lower down in the tank.  Right now it is pretty high on the rock work. 
Jeff