2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: Charlieweaver marine ich battle  (Read 3711 times)

Offline charlieweaver

• Adult
Charlieweaver marine ich battle
« on: April 22, 2013, 13:37:37 »
Ok any help would be nice what I have setup I hope works. 

30gallon bin. Have a 150watt heater at 79degrees.   What's next I'm going to be catching fish today may take awhile. Will it be fine to have all my fish in there or would that be to stressful for them.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW

Offline charlieweaver

• Adult
Re: Charlieweaver marine ich battle
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2013, 14:15:38 »
Well I have managed to catch
Yellow tang
Picasso clowns
2 damesl

Still got to catch
Royal gramma
1 damesl
Firefish
Foxface
Blue tang

How should I treat the fish once I get all of them.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW

Offline ohioreef

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Founding Member
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2013, 14:22:12 »
Once you've got them isolated you could use copper. I believe that's one of the meds available for ich. Hyposalinity works also, I believe.

Offline Travis8896

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2013, 14:25:18 »
How far u would you be willing to go for the tanks and filter I could get them to to Sidney for you
"Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo

Offline charlieweaver

• Adult
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2013, 14:32:34 »
Well I'm just going to go with this and put them all together and treat them all together. Thanks for the offer I didn't think I had enough stuff but I guess I did. 

Sent from my HTC6435LVW

Offline Travis8896

« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2013, 14:34:14 »
Ok if u change ur mind just let me know
"Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo

Offline Steve

• Adult
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2013, 15:16:35 »
Don't know how long the filter has been running on the hospital set up, but be careful adding all those fish at once to a 30 gal without liverock or sufficient bio filtration could def cause an ammonia spike.  Might want to look into some ammo lock or something, if you are using copper not sure of mixing  the 2.

Offline charlieweaver

• Adult
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2013, 15:22:04 »
Well I put some live rock from display tank in there but won't that kill off the stuff on the live rock when I do copper treatment

Sent from my HTC6435LVW

Offline Viggen

« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2013, 21:10:31 »
Yea, putting lr in the qt with copper ... That lr can never go into a reef tank again, at least not for a long long time....

I like copper safe copper, you can get it for $20-25 at jacks.  What's so great about this product is overdosing it willow kill the fish.  Many other copper treatments are deadly if over dosed.

Due to the qt tank being new I would feed light and monitor the water quality daily.  It might take a few days but the ammonia and all that stuff will get high

I think the tank will have to be w/o any fish for 2-3 months
300g tub o fish

Offline charlieweaver

• Adult
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2013, 21:48:18 »
Alright well I'm using. No-ich by fishvet. It has not copper at all. Do really think a few month I though Ich life cycle is just a few days and if they can't attach to a fish then they will die and the life cycle is stopped

Sent from my HTC6435LVW

Offline charlieweaver

• Adult
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2013, 22:05:00 »

Was a sad day today. Had to tear apart my whole tank to catch all the fish. Was not happy at all but guess this is what I get for never qt. I'm not buying another fish till I invest in a qt setup. 

Sent from my HTC6435LVW

Offline volcano

« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2013, 22:29:32 »
QT's are cheap and easy.  IMO, they are essential for reef keepers.  I almost never add a fish until it has gone through a QT.  There are only a few types of fish I don't QT and a mandarin is one of them.  I seem to have killed every mandarin I tried to QT.  Just take the water from your DT, use pvc for the fish to hide in instead of rock, use some cycled filtration media and some chemi-pure elite and a hang on the back filter like you have.  Be careful with copper if you have any angels.  I also wouldn't use copper unless you have a test kit for it. 

Oh, and Steve made a good point.  Be very careful adding all those fish in the QT right away.  Personally, I would use multiple QTs.

Offline Viggen

« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2013, 22:39:31 »
Multiple qt or a much larger qt would be preferred but like stated put some PVC pipes in there to give places to hide.  If you need to borrow any 3-4 in dia pieces I have a few extra that I put in my qt tank..... One of these days I will use them on my pond

I tried that no-ich stuff..... Didn't do a thing, for me it was a complete waste of money..... I am sure others have had luck with it though

Last ich battle It was easier for me to remove all invertebrates and do a hypo treatment to the entire tank.  That way I didn't have to yank fish or lr, I did remove a few pieces but most stayed in the tank
300g tub o fish

Offline bbtm64

• Adult
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2013, 22:52:13 »
Well, I tried to reply to this but apparently, I accidentally reported my own post, lol. I've used the FishVet stuff and it works. Just takes a lot longer than a copper treatment.
I still think it'd work good as a preventive.
Brent McCloskey

Offline njrdc

• Juvenile
« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2013, 23:34:19 »
fishvet works fine just takes a while and with anything follow constriction

Offline Viggen

« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2013, 09:07:44 »
I think it depends on how severe ich is. If early states then yes it Cuke work, later stages it doesn't do a thing..... My ich was a few days into it
300g tub o fish

Offline charlieweaver

• Adult
« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2013, 09:25:56 »
Well I think im going to do hypo

Sent from my HTC6435LVW

Offline Viggen

« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2013, 12:44:25 »
Hypo works great.... Had to go that route the last time.  Do you have a refractometer?  I have a extra one if you need to borrow it......

You could remove all inverts and corals then put the fish back into the tank and do a hypo on the tank, then have the inverts in their own qt for a few months.  Not sure if that would be easier or harder but its a option.  I think I have a extra light fixture you can use if you go that route and need lighting for that setup. 
300g tub o fish

Offline charlieweaver

• Adult
« Reply #18 on: April 23, 2013, 16:05:56 »
Ok guys got a qt tank setup for real now. Figure I have been wanting a cube for a while so i picked one up and will use as a qt for now and then I was thinking another reef later.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW

Offline Twizted1

• Adult
« Reply #19 on: April 23, 2013, 17:14:03 »
Just remember that if you use copper in that tank you can not use it as a reef tank.

Offline charlieweaver

• Adult
« Reply #20 on: April 23, 2013, 17:15:49 »
I'm doing hypo no copper

Sent from my HTC6435LVW

Offline njrdc

• Juvenile
« Reply #21 on: April 23, 2013, 18:54:21 »
good luck

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #22 on: April 23, 2013, 23:34:29 »
Good luck Charlie

Offline bbtm64

• Adult
« Reply #23 on: April 23, 2013, 23:52:43 »
Good luck!
Brent McCloskey

Offline charlieweaver

• Adult
« Reply #24 on: April 24, 2013, 22:45:13 »
Well water is now at 77degrees and ph 8.0 and sg at 1.014.      So still got some lowering to go should be down to 1.009 tomorrow sometime. 

Did wake up this morning to the blue hippo tang dead.   This was my first death since my saltwater venture. So hoping for the best for the rest of the fish.   

Sent from my HTC6435LVW