2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: dinoflagellates.. help!  (Read 5731 times)

Offline Phoenix7506

• Juvenile
Re: dinoflagellates.. help!
« Reply #25 on: May 04, 2013, 01:53:09 »
Everything is fully open and looking its chipper self except the hammer. He still isnt opening all the way. It looks like there may be some decaying tissue on one of the polyps. It could be debris but I'm hesitant to blow at it with the baster. I thought about dipping him but again, I'm hesitant. I couldnt really get a good picture but here it is. My sexy shrimp is a camera hog. lol

Offline Phoenix7506

• Juvenile
« Reply #26 on: May 09, 2013, 01:33:36 »
Well earlier today was my last day of dosing and I will be doing a water change in a couple minutes. No sign of dino for 4-5 days now.

My hammer looks happy once again  :D

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #27 on: May 09, 2013, 09:32:20 »
Looks great good job

Offline Bucknutz

• OH-IO
dinoflagellates.. help!
« Reply #28 on: May 09, 2013, 10:17:58 »
Looking very good Phoenix.

Offline Neogenesis

« Reply #29 on: May 09, 2013, 10:23:40 »
Awesome!!!  Glad to hear it cleared up so quickly.  What method did you end up going with?  Just dosing peroxide?

Offline Phoenix7506

• Juvenile
« Reply #30 on: May 09, 2013, 13:54:51 »
Thanks guys. I only ran the lights for 4 hours the first 2 days but I don't think I needed to. Just dosing the peroxide seems to do it.

Offline Ramathorn937

• Fry
« Reply #31 on: May 09, 2013, 18:02:23 »
Apparently what I have is some kind of brown slime hair algae, and not dino, cause I dosed for 4 days and it did absolutely nothing, besides making my water look Crystal clear

Sent from my Galaxy S3

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #32 on: May 09, 2013, 18:14:44 »
You can use algaefix marine for brown/green hair algae.

Offline Ramathorn937

• Fry
« Reply #33 on: May 09, 2013, 20:24:22 »
Suppose I'll try that next, for now just stepped up security with a GFO reactor, some chemipure in my filter, and twice weekly water changes instead of once a week, really busy this weekend perhaps next weekend I'll make it to store and get some algaefix

Sent from my Galaxy S3

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #34 on: May 10, 2013, 16:43:46 »
Just make sure it is the Marine version.

Offline Bucknutz

• OH-IO
« Reply #35 on: May 10, 2013, 21:09:03 »
I too ended up with dino but didn't want to say anything until I was sure. Tonight was my 6th night dosing with h202 and the tank is about completely cleared up. I bought a piece of challice from Pet Supplies Plus a couple weeks ago and didn't dip it because it had death on it (this is another story about that place now) and I didn't want to stress it anymore. This challice is the only thing I could figure I got the dino from. Stopped in PSP tonight and this is what I spotted in their 180 show tank that had the lights off in it.

PSP in Findlay is a sad sad place now after letting Heath go. They should be reported for animal abuse as they're letting all the coral die. Every time i'm in there I see dead fish, and fish with ich. I tried to get a Naso that was half dead from them to save in my quarantine tank tonight and they wanted full price. This fish won't make it thru the weekend.

The challice I couldn't let stay in that tank and die, and in turn gave my tank dino lol.

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #36 on: May 10, 2013, 22:48:57 »
That is a good picture of dino's Buck. I seem to get them about once a year and have to do a h202 treatment. This last time I cleaned the sand in my frag tank that was about 2.5" deep and within a few days it was all over it and the frag rack. I think it was Paul that told me it was likely from exposing the anaerobic bacteria to two much oxygen causing a die off and feeding the dino's.

Offline Phoenix7506

• Juvenile
« Reply #37 on: May 10, 2013, 23:34:49 »
I'm just glad that it is so easy to get rid of. I'm going to try and steer clear of that place as much as I can. It is hard to not walk out with something you think you can help though.

Offline Bucknutz

• OH-IO
dinoflagellates.. help!
« Reply #38 on: May 11, 2013, 06:47:54 »
I'm just glad that it is so easy to get rid of. I'm going to try and steer clear of that place as much as I can. It is hard to not walk out with something you think you can help though.

It's my fault for not dipping the coral. Like I said it was dying and I took a chance not wanting to stress it anymore.