2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: Red Bugs & Interceptor Alternatives  (Read 2368 times)

Offline Wall_Tank

• Administrator
  • Adult
Red Bugs & Interceptor Alternatives
« on: September 06, 2014, 09:33:58 »
Has anyone been following the potential replacement remedies for redbugs.

Offline marineman

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Adult
    • My website
Re: Red Bugs & Interceptor Alternatives
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2014, 17:07:41 »
I've got one. I had redbugs over a year ago, treated one time, and haven't seen another since.

The method: Bayer Complete. That's right, this stuff: http://www.walmart.com/ip/Bayer-Advanced-Complete-Insect-Killer-32oz/16778341

After a lot of reading, I decided to try. I started with 1-2 pieces to make sure I wasn't going to kill anything. Everything was done outside the tank in cups. After monitoring and not seeing any negative effects on the coral, I decided to go for the big one. I pulled EVERY SINGLE ACRO in my 120g tank out, loaded every fitting cup, tub, pitcher, etc I could find. I mean I pulled every last bit of acro out, and even some other stuff that was close to an acro just to be sure. I caught my outbreak early on, but still had tons of the little buggers floating in the dip water.

I did this one time and one time only. I've read that people suspect that corals absorb just enough of the bayer to keep them toxic to the redbugs for a period of time - long enough to break their cycle. I spent 6 months looking at coral with a magnifying glass out of paranoia, but the tank was completely clean after that one complete dip.

I have since used nothing but Bayer as a coral dip. I dip everything in it, from deepwaters to zoas to LPS. Everything but clams. I've never lost a piece from it, and my tanks are all pest free. Nothing lives through that stuff, except the coral amazingly enough. On that note, rinse thoroughly before returning to the tank. After seeing all the crap this stuff kills, I make sure none gets in for the sake of my bio filtration and inverts!

I've never measured doses. Instead, I dose until the water is just milky enough that I can only see a silhouette of the coral. It doesn't take a whole lot to reach that point. Best of all, it's WAY cheaper than actual dips. I'm still on the same bottle I used to treat my outbreak. I think it cost around $15 or so?

Enjoy, and don't be scared! If it killed coral, I wouldn't have any.

Offline Wall_Tank

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2014, 19:20:08 »
Thanks for sharing your experience.

Offline Topekoms

• Adult
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2014, 20:19:55 »
Picked up Bayer from marineman been doing it for some time I have to agree nothing survives won't use anything else

Offline Neogenesis

« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2014, 13:57:41 »
has anyone tried this with zoa eating nudi's?  I've been treating for a while now, but can never seem to get all of them....some eggs always seem to sneak through.    I did Flatworm Exit and coral RX back to back, every week.

Offline Topekoms

• Adult
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2014, 14:09:47 »
Never had them but wouldn't see why it wouldn't work

Offline marineman

• Adult
    • My website
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2014, 15:28:07 »
Agreed. I'm convinced it will kill everything. It definitely got my red bugs, and there are plenty of success stories online about people treating for AEFW. I don't see why or how nudis would slip through. They key will likely by like those who have used it for AEFW - find the critter's lifecycle and dip in regularly timed intervals for a period of time until you break it. Eventually you will get them all...

Offline volcano

« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2014, 20:07:35 »
I always use bayer advanced as well. I have Revive and I will do H2O2 for algae control. Bayer Advanced kills all the pests and not the corals.  Just like marineman said, just rinse them really well before returning to the tank.  Also, be sure to get the correct Bayer.  I can post a pic of the bottle if anyone has a question.  The stuff works excellent!