2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: Captive bred green mandarins from Sustainable Aquatics!  (Read 3856 times)

Offline SweetReefOH

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Adult
Re: Captive bred green mandarins from Sustainable Aquatics!
« Reply #25 on: August 05, 2019, 18:43:09 »
He hardly ever puts his fin up unfortunately. It’s magnificent! His tank mates couldn’t care less about him. Which I’m thankful for. He’s also so chill, I named him Chilly lol.

They are such adapted hunters, I would say they rarely “miss” or peck at something that isn’t food.

I have an extremely large population of Tisbe & Apocyclops pods. I have a home made breeder for them in my sump and most importantly, I have no other pod hunters in the tank. My melanuras is so big I don’t even think he sees them anymore. I inspect the rocks with a flashlight in the mornings just to make sure he still has plenty of food and I’m seeing appx 5-10 pods per square inch. So I’m sure he’ll be nice a fat soon.

Neat!  I've wondered if my mandarin was grabbing a pod each time she pecked at the rocks or glass.  I wonder if anyone knows? 

Also, I believe you have a female there.  :)  Or can I just not see the long spine in this pic?

Brandon

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Offline NeveSSL

• Fry
Re: Captive bred green mandarins from Sustainable Aquatics!
« Reply #26 on: August 06, 2019, 09:19:24 »
Nice!  That makes sense with them being highly adapted.  I took a wrasse off of my fish list after I got her to keep as many pods for her as possible.  Now, though, it may be back on the list... just not sure which one.  Probably a fairy wrasse of some sort.

Brandon