2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: what is the best place to buy fish and or coral online. you thoughts please  (Read 1959 times)

Offline Warhawk937

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Adult
Looking to add a trio of anthias and a couple other fish.  I haven't made an online purchase for fish before but Ive heard horror stories.  Please share your experience.

Offline JMM

• Juvenile
 If you want disease free then probably Humblefish Aquatics.  I have purchased several fish from him and they have all done great.
https://humble.fish/community/index.php

Offline erinwalling

• Juvenile

Wait for Lazy's Coral House to reopen!

Offline Warhawk937

• Adult
I can wait on the coral but he will not be stocking fish.     I am looking to get some more challenging fish and would like to purchase them from a reputable source.   any ideas.   

Offline erinwalling

• Juvenile
Gerber will order in pretty much anything.  Then they take the risk and you can make sure they come in healthy and alive!

Offline JMM

• Juvenile
The fish I get from Divers Den seem to be pretty healthy and eating. You get the guarantee too. Downside, you might wait a while for them to have what you want. Usually have a nice selection of stuff though.
Another place is Marine Collectors. Limited selection but he will look for what you want. Have him looking for a reticulated Butterfly right now. He has a nice website.
Jim

Offline Warhawk937

• Adult
thanks ill look in to them

Offline Heinbaughb

• Adult
Cincinnati Coral and Aquarium has great prices and does a 2 week cooper quarantine. They have only been open for a less than a year but very promising already.

6214 Muhlhauser Rd
West Chester, OH  45069
United States

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Warhawk937

• Adult
Nice that’s for the heads up brian

Offline erky

• Adult
Cincinnati Coral and Aquarium has great prices and does a 2 week cooper quarantine. They have only been open for a less than a year but very promising already.

6214 Muhlhauser Rd
West Chester, OH  45069
United States

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

what is 2 weeks in copper going to do? doesnt most things need a full 28+ day treatment to be safe?

Offline Topekoms

• Adult
what is 2 weeks in copper going to do? doesnt most things need a full 28+ day treatment to be safe?

Yea 2 weeks just stresses them out it won't kill everything

Offline JMM

• Juvenile
From Humblefish Aquatics forum........

Option B - Everything works the same as "Option A" except the fish is transferred into another QT (or holding tank) after 2 weeks. However, the following "rules" must be strictly adhered to:

1. Only the fish gets transferred, nothing else.
2. DO NOT lower the copper or Chloroquine level prior to transferring.
3. The "holding tank" must be at least 10 feet away from the QT, Display Tank and all other saltwater aquariums.
4. The two week countdown does not begin until copper or Chloroquine have reached therapeutic, and have been maintained at therapeutic throughout (very important!) So, it is wise to test your copper level often.
5. Prior to transfer, the fish should not be showing any signs of ich, velvet, brook or uronema. If he does, don't do the transfer!

The above works because parasites can only stay on a fish for a maximum of 7 days, and the presence of therapeutic copper + metro or Chloroquine shields your fish from reinfection. (The additional 7 days allows for some margin of error.) Any parasites the fish was carrying will have dropped off and are left behind in the original treatment tank. (So the QT that the fish is transferred from may still be contaminated with disease for some time.) After transferring you may deworm (if you hadn't already done so in QT#1) or dose other medications as needed. I recommend observing for at least 2 weeks before transferring any fish to your display tank.

Don’t hesitate to make changes to your treatment plan as needed! For example, if you know a fish has flukes treat with Prazipro or General Cure first. Notice white stringy poo coming out of your fish? Start food soaking General Cure, using a binder such as Seachem Focus to reduce the loss of medication to the water through diffusion. Seeing signs of a bacterial infection? Treat with antibiotics straight away (you can combine most antibiotics with copper or Chloroquine.)

Offline nikkirenea17

• Fry
I've never been to the store in west chester. How is their selection and pricing?